View Full Version : App to adjust screen light to natural light

LaMbaL
12-10-12, 09:40 AM
A friend of mine just introduced me to an app for your pc, which adjusts the light coming from your screen to simulate natural light conditions. This should be (supposedly) healthy for your biorhythm, as it is light-sensitive. It may even improve your sleeping habits! The following is an excerpt from the site:

During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

f.lux
f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

Now, I only installed it today, so I cant give you a user review yet, but my friend is someone who knows quality, and whose opinion I generally trust. Anyway, I thought this might be useful to many of us here, so I just wanted to share.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

LaMbaL
12-10-12, 09:00 PM
Im currently experiencing 'nightmode' for the first time, and everything seems slightly more orange/reddish than usual. It takes some getting used to, but I have to say it does feel much easier on the eyes. I can really imagine this having positive effects on nightrest and headache prevention!

ginniebean
12-10-12, 09:05 PM
Just downloaded, I'm experiencing the evening light as well, we'll see how I like it after a few days, it does seem more soothing to the eyes.

Kasi
12-10-12, 10:00 PM
I love flux, it works well for me and I barely notice it anymore.

Something that may help, is if you go into settings, you can set it to 'slow transition' and it takes an hour for it to go from 'daylight' appearance to 'nighttime' appearance, which threw me off much, MUCH less than the fast change.

DvlsAdv0c8
12-11-12, 08:11 AM
I used flux for a few years ago and really liked it, until for some reason it completely quit working on my crap Vista laptop. Maybe I will give it another try.

Fortune
12-11-12, 08:18 AM
I just ran it, and hmm... I am not sure what I think. Everything seems more orangey, as if I am typing under Rao, the Kryptonian sun.

I needed something as I'm photophobic to begin with and sometimes (day and night) my monitor is painful/overloading on the eyes.

Kasi
12-11-12, 08:25 AM
I just ran it, and hmm... I am not sure what I think. Everything seems more orangey, as if I am typing under Rao, the Kryptonian sun.

I needed something as I'm photophobic to begin with and sometimes (day and night) my monitor is painful/overloading on the eyes.

I take it that the brightness of the screen is part of the problem? If you operate Firefox, there's an add on called 'Blank Your Monitor + Easy Reading'. It basically sets a hotkey so you can invert the screen so the whites become black, and vice versa. You can also change the set colors if you like. I like it because you can turn it on and off very easily or select only a certain amount of text to open in a new tab for easy readability. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/blank-your-monitor-easy-readin/

Fortune
12-11-12, 08:32 AM
I don't use Firefox because it is actually pretty terrible these days. I use Chrome, with a bit of Opera and Explorer on the side.

Also, that particular addon wouldn't help in my case. Making the background dark and the letters bright would just make things harder to read.

This app does the job reasonably well.

Also, I guess an odd thing is that this monitor is already fairly dim compared to most. Just sometimes I am extra sensitive to light.

LaMbaL
12-11-12, 08:37 AM
The orangey-thing takes a bit of getting used to, but already after a few hours I was in love with it.
I can really feel the reduced strain on my eyes, and I felt more relaxed going to bed (at close to 4am) yesterday.

Just give Rao some time to grow on you :)

Fortune
12-11-12, 08:39 AM
I have color -> taste synesthesia and it sort of has an interesting effect in that regard.

When I'm out in lit places or during the day, I wear rose-colored sunglasses, so this is not far off from that. Not the same, but kinda similar.

I immediately felt reduced strain on my eyes. This is a godsend, really.

Fortune
12-12-12, 02:10 AM
Okay, so as I discovered when I tried to watch a video, this app apparently messed up my gamma settings, and I had to exit it and recalibrate my monitor so that dark videos and images didn't just look pure black on the brightest setting.

LaMbaL
12-13-12, 03:38 AM
Hmm, shame its been moved to the tech-forum. Im afraid many forum visitors wont get to see this post this way, and I feel this app would be valuable to many of us ;(

Ah well, for what its worth, *bump* I guess...