View Full Version : Citalopram and Zoloft for Bi-Polar Disorder?

Zaashy
12-10-12, 02:15 PM
My doc gave me 6 month course of citalopram and a months supply of Urbanol for BPD and depression. If my manic symptoms are still there he is going to give
me Zoloft.

Is it possible of either one or both to work?

keliza
12-11-12, 01:04 AM
I have absolutely NO idea why a doctor would prescribe Celexa (citalopram) for bipolar disorder. It's well known that antidepressants cause manic switches in a full half of patients with bipolar disorder, if they aren't matched with an adjunct mood stabilizer. I'm not familiar with Urbanol, but I looked it up and it looks like a benzodiazepine derivative used for seizures and anxiety. I can find very little information about Urbanol as a mood stabilizer, certainly no major studies or sources discussing its use.

Are you sure your doctor is treating you for bipolar disorder, or unipolar (non-bipolar) depression? Because it makes absolutely no sense to treat someone with bipolar disorder with an antidepressant, with the known impact they can have by causing mania. And you said he would give you Zoloft for mania?? Zoloft is known to CAUSE mania in bipolar patients, it's not a treatment for mania, it's an antidepressant in the same class as Celexa. Mood stabilizers like Lithium, Depakote, Tegretol, Seroquel, etc. are treatments for mania, not antidepressants.

I would seriously question why your doctor is giving you these medications for bipolar disorder, and seek a second opinion, preferably from a psychiatrist since they specialize in the treatment of mental health disorders. If you truly have bipolar disorder, I'd be afraid that Celexa would make you switch into mania very quickly.

Zaashy
12-11-12, 02:57 AM
I have absolutely NO idea why a doctor would prescribe Celexa (citalopram) for bipolar disorder. It's well known that antidepressants cause manic switches in a full half of patients with bipolar disorder, if they aren't matched with an adjunct mood stabilizer. I'm not familiar with Urbanol, but I looked it up and it looks like a benzodiazepine derivative used for seizures and anxiety. I can find very little information about Urbanol as a mood stabilizer, certainly no major studies or sources discussing its use.

Are you sure your doctor is treating you for bipolar disorder, or unipolar (non-bipolar) depression? Because it makes absolutely no sense to treat someone with bipolar disorder with an antidepressant, with the known impact they can have by causing mania. And you said he would give you Zoloft for mania?? Zoloft is known to CAUSE mania in bipolar patients, it's not a treatment for mania, it's an antidepressant in the same class as Celexa. Mood stabilizers like Lithium, Depakote, Tegretol, Seroquel, etc. are treatments for mania, not antidepressants.

I would seriously question why your doctor is giving you these medications for bipolar disorder, and seek a second opinion, preferably from a psychiatrist since they specialize in the treatment of mental health disorders. If you truly have bipolar disorder, I'd be afraid that Celexa would make you switch into mania very quickly.

I'm going through all this alone, I approached my family and they said I'm fine and my so called friends bailed on me. I was really irritated with my doctor yesterday and he said I must give the meds time. The Urbanol puts you hypnotic state so I don't mind. He is confident that it is Bipolar and I am aswell as I first thought it was ADHD.

Can't afford to go to a psychiatrist as they do it for the money here in SA.
The average South African earns around R3000 and a psychiatrist charges
between R1200 - R1500 a hour. Luckily for this forum or might be on both Citalopram and Zoloft. I'm going to look for another doctor and ask for lithium.

keliza
12-11-12, 01:03 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through all of this alone. :( Being diagnosed with bipolar disorder and trying to treat it can be a very scary place to be, especially when you don't have the support of your family or friends.

That pricing is absolutely outrageous, I can't believe South Africa doesn't have some kind of laws against that. Although I suppose honestly the American health care system isn't much better, except now there are more laws governing the health insurance industry to prevent those kinds of abuses.

I hope you're able to find another doctor who is more knowledgeable about bipolar disorder and is able to get you on the right meds to help you manage your condition!

Zaashy
12-11-12, 01:37 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through all of this alone. :( Being diagnosed with bipolar disorder and trying to treat it can be a very scary place to be, especially when you don't have the support of your family or friends.

That pricing is absolutely outrageous, I can't believe South Africa doesn't have some kind of laws against that. Although I suppose honestly the American health care system isn't much better, except now there are more laws governing the health insurance industry to prevent those kinds of abuses.

I hope you're able to find another doctor who is more knowledgeable about bipolar disorder and is able to get you on the right meds to help you manage your condition!

South Africa have alot of problems, lots of people live below the poverty line and we probably have the highest aids and TB patients in the world. Many parts of South Africa do not have proper drinking water and toilet facilities.

Mental illness is more of a 'first world problem', so psychiatry and psychology
is more for the rich. Theirs no real information out there about Bipolar, ADD or any other mental illness so although I'm frustrated you can understand what it's like living here.

But I'm sure I will get there eventually, thanks for the support :D

Fuzzy12
12-17-12, 02:24 PM
I'm sure the others have mentioned this already but neither zoloft nor citalopram help with bipolar disorder. On the contrary. Both are anti-depressants, which are suspected of inducing mania. I've just looked up urbanol and that isn't indicated for bipolar disorder either.

I took zoloft for quite a few months and it did induce hypomanic episodes. If your manic symptoms come back, it would make more sense to be prescribed a mood stabiliser. I'm sorry but this just seems wrong, could you see another psychiatrist to get a second opinion? :(

Zaashy
12-18-12, 02:55 PM
I'm sure the others have mentioned this already but neither zoloft nor citalopram help with bipolar disorder. On the contrary. Both are anti-depressants, which are suspected of inducing mania. I've just looked up urbanol and that isn't indicated for bipolar disorder either.

I took zoloft for quite a few months and it did induce hypomanic episodes. If your manic symptoms come back, it would make more sense to be prescribed a mood stabiliser. I'm sorry but this just seems wrong, could you see another psychiatrist to get a second opinion? :(

Can you please send me your story, I'm new to all this and I would like to share experiences because the people around me don't get it.I'm planning on going to the doc early jan then getting a second opinion if I have to.