View Full Version : Slow Cookers.......They're Good ....

salleh
12-11-12, 12:49 PM
......Never used one before.....threw a 3 lb tri-tip roast, ( they were on sale 3 bucks a lb) .....a chopped onion, some small carrots ( you get them in a bag ...perfect size, the peel is so thin, that you don't peel them) a couple of potatoes, peeled then quartered .....a couple cups of broth ....you can use water .....

...stick the top on ....and use slow.....12 hours later ...it's done .....total time ? .....about 5 minutes....

the veggies won't last long ...but the meat will ...many meals out of a 3 lb tri tip, they're lean, so you don't cut away lots of fat ( I am a trifle obessive about fat on meat ....noooooo.... ick) and you can just stick more veggies in the broth and more dinners...or the meat is tender and stringy ....makes killer beef dip sandwiches, or just good old roast beef sandwitches .....

.......so if you're a thrift shop shopper, which I suspect that most of us are ,.....the next time you spot one, plug it in ...if it works ....get it ....and you won't be sorry ....

...or if you already have one and its gathering dust ....dust it off and use it again .....

...you can do this in the morning .....and dinner is good to go , very few calories, and nourishing real food .....

....Mike has one at home in California, and I plan to use it there .....

to review ...you need:

a tri tip roast
an onion
a bag of tiny carrots
a couple of potatoes
water or beef broth,.....( you can get it in a can, about a buck )

it doesn't get much easier than that .....and will cost you about the same as a couple of Big Mac combos......

salleh
12-11-12, 12:51 PM
Oh forgot to mention ....you put the veggies on the bottom, meat on top ......

gemini-dreamer
12-11-12, 12:53 PM
On the days that I work thru supper time, like all this week, my slow cooker is my best friend. Dinner is ready when I get home and I can dish it up, presto! Sometimes, if I am lucky, the k ids have actually fed themselves before I get home. I cook pretty much anything I would normally serve for dinner in my slow cooker, on the days that I use it. Last night was chili, but I also do roasts quite often, chicken, stews, soups, you name it!

It's perfect for me because I tend to get overwhelmed when I walk in the door if there are too many tasks in front of me. This creates anxiety and chaos in the house. So I am all for any sort of product or device that eliminates that in our house!

nice post Salleh!

EvilynTent
12-11-12, 12:55 PM
absolutely love my slower cooker....nothing better than throwing a meal together at night, sticking it in the fridge.....move it to the cooker in the morning and come home to a good meal and the house smelling wonderful. They even have disposable liners to make clean up a breeze (I have issues doing dishes in a timely manner, especially if I have to hand wash)

ezridax
12-11-12, 12:57 PM
The only problem I have with my slow cooker is it takes me 2 or 3 days to get around to washing it...

Lunacie
12-11-12, 01:01 PM
I've made lots of different meals in my slow cookers - yes I have two. :D

One of my family's favorites is to toss in several boneless skinless chicken
pieces and a jar of your favorite salsa. Set it to cook and after 6 hours or
so you have wonderful chicken soft tacos or burritos.

You can make bread pudding in them, or molten chocolate lava cake. Yum!

Also a good way to make soups or stews, even potato soup.

EvilynTent
12-11-12, 01:02 PM
The only problem I have with my slow cooker is it takes me 2 or 3 days to get around to washing it...

Haha yup thats me....Reynolds makes liners that you can put in so clean up is quick and easy :) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reynolds-Slow-Cooker-Liners-Slow-Cooker-Liners-4-ct/11027103

JanelleC
02-13-13, 12:53 PM
3 pounds frozen chicken breasts (still frozen. it's ok) plus one thing of bbq sauce. low, 12 hours. You can probably make it faster than I typed this! I think it's great because you don't have to remember to thaw the dang chicken!

GeordieDave
02-13-13, 01:37 PM
Haven't got one in my property but my mum always uses hers and makes some amazing dishes! I've just googled some slow cooking recipes and there are some unbelievable ones which sound so tasty!

E.g: Chicken & red wine casserole with herby dumplings

nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

FOOD.. I LOVE FOOD.

Mr Digital 01
02-14-13, 05:46 AM
"What's for dinner?" - "Isn't it ready yet?" - "I'm starving!" - "Hurry Up!"

People keep hassling me for being a slow cooker but I'm cooking as fast as this clumsy crazy cook can.

tudorose
02-14-13, 05:47 AM
I love this appliance.

It's perfect for the disorganised ADHDer.

You can put a frozen lamb leg into the cooker, season it and when you come home from work the meat falls of the bone.