View Full Version : Local produce delivery

mrs. dobbs
12-12-12, 01:20 PM
I just signed up to a local food/produce delivery coop thing. It comes with recipes for what is delivered for that week. It seems like the answer to my money/frankenfood/going out/making decisions problem! Anyone have experience with this?

Btw I loved growing my own food when I tried it, but that's easy to do in California-- which I did in container gardens. Not so easy in Northern Europe?

Phoenix Ash
12-12-12, 01:24 PM
I keep thinking about doing this. Seems like it would be a great cure for my food boredom, not to mention reducing/eliminating shopping and giving me some much needed healthy variety in my diet. Just a bit concerned about the expense. Very curious to hear how it goes!

mrs. dobbs
12-15-12, 09:12 AM
It's under the equivalent of $100 for 3 deliveries in one month, so around $33 bucks each delivery. As it turns out, it's not just produce! It's local meat, dairy and whatever else, too! I am very excited. Food is ridiculously expensive here. I will report back. :)

Phoenix Ash
12-15-12, 11:44 AM
Is that $100 USD? Euros? Something else?

RedHairedWitch
12-15-12, 12:41 PM
I've actually worked for co-ops in marketing. They are great, especially if the quality of food is good. It does mean that certain times of year you will see some foods more than others but it makes you eat seasonally which is nice.

A lot of people like it because it makes them eat healthier, they don't deliver potato chips. And it forces you to try new recipes. And it saves you from going to the store.

mrs. dobbs
12-15-12, 12:51 PM
500 swedish kronor = $75 usd / 3 = $25 each delivery which is supposed to be a week's worth of recipes?? Wow that's cheap, that doesn't sound right. Let's see how it goes.

RHW, you worked in marketing for the coops? So you had to write up all the benefits and stuff? Or... what?

I don't mind seeing foods repeat, I like the seasonal thing and doing a million different things with one legume/vegetable/grain. I eat repetitively all year round, the same ol same ol no matter the season (unless I've grown my own) and I really need to improve my diet.

hanikamiya
12-15-12, 07:34 PM
That's a great idea. I've been thinking about getting vegetable deliveries, but I'm afraid of having the veggies at home and not knowing what to do with them. Not because of a lack of recepies but because at times I can't wrap my mind around the steps necessary for preparing food. )=

BellaVita
12-15-12, 08:58 PM
Sounds interesting!!!

...like something I would do :p

good job! great idea!

RedHairedWitch
12-15-12, 11:45 PM
I was a salesman for one.

mrs. dobbs
12-16-12, 03:21 AM
RHW that's one kind of sales job I could throw myself into, that's a nice job.

Hanikamiya, you can cut them up and freeze them if you absolutely blank out, hehe. Or you can get a food drier and some fun slicing tools. If I have zero ideas, I throw things together and make soup. I would say you can pickle it but pickling is hard.

Bellavita, I was so excited when I found this because it's winter here! And I live far from any organic/local markets. In Los Angeles, in the 'hood, you can get local and organic produce at the farmer's markets and it's accessible and affordable to everyone-- it's not expensive like shopping at Whole Foods (which is on the other side of town anyway.)

Unmanagable
12-16-12, 08:30 AM
I have friends who host them and participate and I hear nothing but good stuff.

The CSAs have taken off rather well and folks have started hosting seasonal cooking classes, how to preserve foods, weekly potlucks to exhange recipes, etc.

We grow a lot of our own stuff and being friends with other folks that grow increases our good fortune at harvest time.

They've taken it a step further and added an online farmer's market that's also been very well received and utilized.

You pay an annual fee to use it ($79), order anytime thru the week, pay online (price established with farmer selling the product), and pick up your order on the specified day at the regular pick-up location.
EDIT: forgot to add the link earlier - http://www.stauntonfresh.com/about

I love that the community is focusing on the food preparation and preservation, too.

It brings people together and fosters a stronger sense of community.

That's pretty healing and empowering within itself.

I think you'll be pleased!

EDIT: Forgot to add that you tube has tons of food prep videos that have helped me work with food stuff I didn't previously know existed. lol
Next time you feel stuck, hanikamiya, see if someone else has already taped their adventure to help ya' out. :)

hanikamiya
12-16-12, 01:37 PM
Hanikamiya, you can cut them up and freeze them if you absolutely blank out, hehe. Or you can get a food drier and some fun slicing tools. If I have zero ideas, I throw things together and make soup. I would say you can pickle it but pickling is hard.
Sadly, that's hardly possible. I currently live with my mum again, and there is precious little space to store things. The main problem is that I'm too unorganized to make space and use it efficiently though.

I actually enjoy pickling a lot, or rather making kimchi, because once it is finished it preserves for some time. And I can just cook rice and add my kimchi and possibly some tofu or an egg. That means I can do the difficult part when I feel able to, and just use it when I'm hungry.

Unmanageable, that's a good idea.

mrs. dobbs
12-16-12, 02:14 PM
that's right! you said in another thread you were making kimchi! as you may or may not already know i loooove kimchi and pickled vegetables. even just cucumbers in sweet vinegar, or carrots or peppers.

mrs. dobbs
01-09-13, 08:23 AM
OK, so I got my delivery on Sunday. Everything was fresh and pretty.

One thing I noticed is that the grocery stores here are pretty, really good about local produce. Not like in the States where you have to go out of your way to get it.

Still, I liked that I got a leek, a head of cauliflower, an onion, a lemon, etc. It kept me from buying too much.

It came with recipes for all of the ingredients so there was zero guesswork involved. We knew what we were eating for dinner, it used *all* of what was in the bag, and the cooking instructions were super simple. There were leftovers! My only complaint is that there was alot of dairy.... which is typical for this culture.

First day: Au-gratined salmon with carrots and potatoes
Second day: Sweet and sour vegetable stew with bulghur
Third day: Pasta carbonara

I am a lover of Asian and African cuisines, but I didn't really miss my usual routine this time. The ease made it tasty.

The dairy is lactose-free dairy, which is an option.... but I need no-dairy and no gluten (nix the bulghur) and I don't think they offer that in the plan. Now I am eager to find a localvore delivery service that is dairy and gluten free. Or at least adapt this one. Or maybe just cook it for my husband.