View Full Version : Why Meditate?

jimfun
12-13-12, 01:29 AM
This website is full of everyone taking this pill or that pill to help or cure what ails them. Besides the pills or meds what else are you doing to feel better? I know now that my anxiety is perpetuated by my thoughts. I also have come to belief that we have a brain to use, not a brain that uses us. Anything we are doing at the time that keeps our thoughts from controlling us to , is a form of meditation.

meadd823
12-13-12, 04:16 AM
I what you are describing see as a form of mindfulness but not necessarily meditation. Meditation to me any way is a form of relaxed awareness in a controlled environment where as mindfulness is some thing that is practiced in a variety of environments.

I have a similar concept in that I want my emotions to work for me as opposed to against me. While it helps to stop and gain perspective behind my emotions this is a work in progress where I do better some times that I do at others.

jimfun
12-13-12, 02:35 PM
I am using the word "meditate" in a broad sense that would include "mindfulness". At any given moment, our emotions are what they are. I believe our thoughts can bring on the anxiety/depressive feelings because our thinking is usually about the future or the past. I believe we are not our brain but have a brain to use. Even playing a game or watching T.V. can temporarily keep our thoughts in check. I drive in L.A. and used to let the traffic upset me a lot. I will direct my attention to my breathing or music, anything but thinking about the traffic which keeps my negative emotions in check and still be fully alert while driving.

mrs. dobbs
12-14-12, 02:32 AM
I agree that emotions are what they are, and that pinning them to something begins a kind of delusion. And chasing a solution is a deluded activity, if a temporarily problem-solving one. But to me all emotions are one emotion, and all problems are one problem. Training the mind to come back from the future or past, reining it in to now, is ideal. I still tap into the power of meds to meet me halfway, because I gotta function, it may take me a really long time to do mental practice to undo the training my brain has gotten, but I do believe my brain isn't structurally and chemically like most, there is a brain function issue. I haven't been on meds for a couple of years now, and have used the hard dark winter for meditation, mindfulness, and nowness. It was good practice, invaluable really. But you know, I'm not going to beat myself up over how my brain still works, I don't mind meds.

Bluerose
02-07-13, 04:11 AM
It comes down to what we believe. What works for one person may not work for another because of beliefs and preconceived opinions and ideas. One way to discover what works for us is to take a journey within (they do say that the longest journey we can take is the journey into ourselves). Meditation (mindfulness if you prefer) helps us do that. And once there, we come to realise that we are more then these bodies. We discover a hidden storehouse of knowledge within that given half a chance will help and guide us through anything.

dvdnvwls
02-07-13, 05:03 AM
It is not possible to define what is and is not meditation, in a way that everyone will agree on. When one person says, about some practice or other, "Yes, but that's not meditation", another will say that it certainly is. There is no strict and correct definition of meditation based on the root meaning of the word or anything like that.