View Full Version : Alice in Wonderland Syndrome

Ririe44
12-13-12, 05:27 AM
I have had odd experiences with visual and auditory perception since I was a little kid.

These include:
+Distorted depth perception
+Sizes of body parts (my own and others) becoming distorted at times
+Even the lightest sound sounding very loud
+Surroundings feeling to small or to large (usually while in bed)

After awhile of internet searching I came to this page http://www.aiws.info/ (sorry if no outside links allowed). The page talks all about a relatively unstudied phenomenon know as Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. As I was reading the symptoms I had goosebumps. Finally I felt that somebody knew what I was experiencing.

I do not have these symptoms constantly, only about once or twice a week for about an hour off and on. I have heard stories of people who had it constantly which I could only imagine as a nightmare.

I was wondering if this was more common arround people with ADD and HDHD, also what your guys thoughts on it are.

NotoriousPyro
12-23-12, 09:37 PM
I used to have this a lot as a kid, less so now. It was like my field of view became distorted and my head was in a fish bowl. Everyone looked smaller, etc...

hanikamiya
12-23-12, 10:55 PM
When I had my first anamnesis I was asked about hallucinations and I mentioned such weird perceptions. The doctor then told me that it was completely normal to have when you're lying down in bed, that it happened to many people especially when they were tired, and that the worst thing one could do was panic about it.

I also get stuff like that with my headaches. At times my brain can't even keep up the interpretation of staight lines and the world looks like seen through a fish eye lens (well, how the eye sees it). Otherwise, when I'm stressed out but without a headache. Making sure I get enough essential fatty acids and vitamins has helped with my déjà vus and also the instances where I had other weird perceptions. There was a time when I used to get such odd perceptions at least daily, and I found that very disturbing.

Also when I'm about to get a headache or have one I drop many things because I miscalculate the necessary grip strength or simply forget I was holding something, or I run into door frames because I misjudge the distance. For me, those have all the same reason, migraine and/or lack of myelination.

gemini-dreamer
12-23-12, 11:38 PM
I have had odd experiences with visual and auditory perception since I was a little kid.

These include:
+Distorted depth perception
+Sizes of body parts (my own and others) becoming distorted at times
+Even the lightest sound sounding very loud
+Surroundings feeling to small or to large (usually while in bed)

After awhile of internet searching I came to this page http://www.aiws.info/ (sorry if no outside links allowed). The page talks all about a relatively unstudied phenomenon know as Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. As I was reading the symptoms I had goosebumps. Finally I felt that somebody knew what I was experiencing.

I do not have these symptoms constantly, only about once or twice a week for about an hour off and on. I have heard stories of people who had it constantly which I could only imagine as a nightmare.

I was wondering if this was more common arround people with ADD and HDHD, also what your guys thoughts on it are.

Yes! I had no idea it was a syndrome! Thanks!

mrs. dobbs
12-24-12, 04:03 AM
I read about it some years ago... I don't think I have Alice In Wonderland Syndrome, but something that produces similar distortions... alot like Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder too. But I don't have that either (tho I did take some pretty persistent hallucinogens a couple of times...)

- can only 'see' at one thing at a time
- depth perception is off
- proprioception is off
- things don't seem their realistic size
- surroundings seem too large, too small or even like they are breathing down my neck
- walls breathe
- lights are starry
- afterimages
- visual snow
- everything is uncanny-seeming
- objects have a presence, expression or personality
- sounds are velvety or distorted in volume (louder, usually)
- ground is spongey, or difficult time judging the firmness or even that it is being touched (like in AWS)
- a shift in ambient light can produce a strange mood

a bunch more stuff...

I've shared that just in case you've ever experienced those too.

daveddd
12-24-12, 09:04 AM
yea it seems to play into a couple of the comorbid disorders that i have along with my adhd

body dysmorphic disorder, maybe a bit of skin picking disorder, and my overstimulated sensory overload disorder

side note- is there a way to know ahead of time, if a woman tends to see others body parts as larger than they are? other symptoms i can look for:)

gemini-dreamer
12-24-12, 09:41 AM
walls breathe
- lights are starry
- afterimages
- visual snow
- objects have a presence, expression or personality
- sounds are velvety or distorted in volume (louder, usually).

All this sounds like you are dreaming awake. There are Spiritual seekers that spend their whole lives trying to achieve these effects! :yes:

PS:
I experience all of that, too.

stef
12-24-12, 10:25 AM
Of the things posted I have these:

- Distorted depth perception
- objects have a presence, expression or personality.

Especially the "everything is uncanny-seeming"; or, some detail is crystal clear and stands out. well! you learn something new here all of the time!

TheChemicals
12-24-12, 10:36 AM
Yes. I have had this my whole life..... been called zombie and half dead when i "go there" or experience those sensations. Mostly time and sound perception issues. I feel time

I have never felt in my entire life that i was intune with reality. Everything has always seemed unreal,surreal, or fake. I have had a problem with spacial and physical things to the point that i need to touch them to believe they are what they are.

In the past i have attempted to focus on this perception to see how far the rabbit hole goes....its not good.

daveddd
12-24-12, 10:42 AM
Yes. I have had this my whole life..... been called zombie and half dead when i "go there" or experience those sensations. Mostly time and sound perception issues. I feel time

I have never felt in my entire life that i was intune with reality. Everything has always seemed unreal,surreal, or fake. I have had a problem with spacial and physical things to the point that i need to touch them to believe they are what they are.

In the past i have attempted to focus on this perception to see how far the rabbit hole goes....its not good.

i definitely get the unreal, surreal thing

i sometimes feel like i live in my head, and my body is just going through the motions of life

TheChemicals
12-24-12, 10:50 AM
i definitely get the unreal, surreal thing

i sometimes feel like i live in my head, and my body is just going through the motions of life

AIW syndrome sufferers must be terrified at the visual issues they have. I think for them its more about actually seeing these things incorrectly.

I can definatly relate to the audio and time symptoms.

daveddd
12-24-12, 11:04 AM
ok i read a little about it

i also have the time perception issues

TheChemicals
12-24-12, 11:10 AM
ok i read a little about it

i also have the time perception issues

Yep, we got it all lol. Damn disorders.

Luthien
01-24-13, 12:52 PM
I've had AIWS episodes as a child. It was quite mild compared to what I've read of some others: no time distortion, and they lasted about half an hour.
Some weeks ago I read a mail (there's a yahoo mailing list about AIWS) from a parent who described how their child had it continuously for a year or so .. that must be really maddening.

It's only about 7 years or so that I knew it actually was an existing condition; before that I thought that my brother and me were the only ones. We used to call it "Thick & Thin" and many others have given it similar names as a child: that's because the weird paradoxical oppositions are the most striking thing about it, I think.

I still remember the very first time I had an episode: I was about five or six years old and shortly after I'd gone to bed I got this scary, very weird sensation of being extremely small - with my feet stuck under my chin - and infinitely long, stretched-out at the same time. I must have cried and called out, for my mother entered our bedroom and then I saw her silhouetted against the light coming from behind her. She looked like a towering giant, standing somewhere very far away. Of course this freaked me out even more.

I think that after that, I had an occasional episode .. maybe four a year, or something like that. I got used to it eventually, and because they had no ill effect and always passed in half an hour, it did not worry me much. It was always similar to that first time, starting with just a vague feeling with my eyes closed, gradually growing more intense. It was always about these paradoxical opposites: feeling very thin, long and stretched-out vs. as flat as a pan-cake ; holding an infinitely small fleck of dust between my thumb and finger vs. being weighted something infinitely large; something impossibly heavy, massive and dense vs. a tiny puff of smoke.
Then the feeling would grow so intense that it was also there with my eyes opened, and it also spread to the visual perception .. hmm, that's difficult to explain: for instance, if I would look to my bedroom window, it became impossible to tell whether it was just a millimeter high and wide, and immediately before my eyes - or a huge giant window miles away. Of course I still knew that it was about two meters wide, and three meters away, but I could not see it like that any more.

During my final exam period at high school I had an AIWS episode every night, for about two weeks. And then they stopped. I've never had one after that.

I understand that for some people it's way more intense and longer lasting. It can indeed also involve distortions in time, and one thing that I have described does sound vaguely familiar: as if everything has a peculiar graininess.

Lunacie
01-24-13, 02:28 PM
I had these sensations long before I began experiencing migraine headaches.

According to The Keeler Migraine Method (really good and informative book),

Alice in Wonderland Syndrome may be a precurssor to migraines,

like the visual aura that often preceedes a migraine.

There is also information about this in the book A Brain Wider Than The Sky.

It may also be related to seizure disorder (epilepsy) just as Migraine disorder is.

medicatedchev
01-25-13, 03:11 PM
Derealization/ depersonalization are two conditions that can cause these kinds of effects.

kimical
01-25-13, 03:45 PM
I get this before I have migraines.

Headroom
06-10-15, 06:39 PM

Funny. I had these symptoms form and take hold in a single month of July of one year. I perfectly remember and know how things are supposed to look. Not seeing them as I know them takes joy, immediacy, a true sense of connection and responsibility out of life. It's like being drunk except that I never sleep it off and wake up sober. So ten years might pass by but whether something happened yesterday or ten years ago, it feels equidistant in time. And living outside of time, I let it slip by me by decades unless emergency strikes.

Headroom
06-10-15, 06:59 PM
TheChemicals,

Have you ever had breaks in your symptoms?
The first time I connected my audio-visual sensory distortion to ADHD, was when somebody, who claimed to have ADHD, said that he had these visual disturbances since his birth. He said that he only learned that his perception was faulty and real life looks quite different when a doctor put him on an alternative ADHD medication and he had a visual breakthrough.

Knkyclpy
01-22-17, 12:07 AM
As a kid I regularly suffered from AIW syndrome, recently i was diagnosed with add and autism spectrum/ adperger, i also wonder if there is a link

Jeftheginger
01-22-17, 02:15 AM
Yup that's me
Did not know there was a name for it though
Just thought I was crazy
Well I still do
Well I still am.
:giggle::lol::lol::lol::faint::umm1::yes: