View Full Version : My sister has been drinking for four days

fracturedstory
12-13-12, 07:34 AM
Should I be concerned? I mean, she hasn't been drinking constantly for four days. It's usually at night but today well she must have been drinking for quite a while. She was kicked out of an art gallery. One of the staff walked her home and just really freaked me out when he said she was in my care now. I can only be responsible for myself and I barely do that well.

At first I was irritated at never getting a decent night's sleep because of all the shouting, singing and swearing going on well past midnight. Now I'm getting worried. Last night she comes in with a friend who reeks of alcohol, bloody after recently having a domestic with her partner. They were both so drunk.

Then today I knew the minute I saw the disappointment in my neighbour's face that my sister didn't meet up with her to go to this gallery opening, with her little kids. I knew something was up. I thought she was just spending time with her friend who she took in last night.

Nope. She got drunk and ended up at the gallery. I haven't talked to my neighbour about it. If her little girls saw her in that state...

I don't know what's going on. I've never seen this kind of behaviour in her before. As some of you know she's isn't on medication. She thinks she can control it. She is wrong.

I know her bipolar will be worse after all this. She has barely slept.

She is so f***ed up tonight. I don't know what to do. Could there have been a trigger?

Vector
12-13-12, 09:24 AM
Of course you should be concerned about her well being, FracturedStory; she is your sister.

Just talk to her in a friendly and patient manner when the time is right. Be honnest and tell her that you are worried about her that she is drinking so much. Don't try to win a discussion now; it is not sport. Just take your time to really listen to her. Maybe it is cry for help.

Make a pollite suggestion that alcohol is the worst 'medicine' for her. Tell her that she is better of getting professional help using and using the right medicines for her problem.

Give to her a link to a internet forum for bipolar/depressive people.

sarahsweets
12-13-12, 09:36 AM
Is this a new behavior? Has she ever had an alcohol problem?

mad83
12-13-12, 10:03 AM
Booze can make you go numb and after so many ups and downs, a straight track is all you want no matter how you get it.

She's "medicating" herself, but not in the way she should be. She's now proven she can't control it by acting foolishly.

fracturedstory
12-14-12, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I can't exactly talk to her about this stuff...autistic, remember? I can barely say anything personal to her or anybody for that reason. She seems ok tonight. I think she really did regret what she had done.
I'm not really liking this new friend she has. He's never without a beer in his hand. I think I can understand why it happened. She wanted her partner to show her some emotion, who I think has AS anyway. And for some reason she thought drinking this much would help get two people back together. She was so upset she couldn't get them back together. She cared so much but she didn't realise that she can't make two people fall in love again.

She has come home clearly drunk but not as inebriated as she was yesterday. She usually stays over at a friends house. To me it's a new behaviour. I've only lived with her for a year and I've never known anyone to get kicked out of a venue for being so drunk.

If she wakes me up at 2am all loud and drunk with people I may go down and say something. Because this marks night 5 where I would have struggled to get to sleep, and it's really affecting my behaviour. I don't say things nicely. For some reason anger really helps me communicate more clearly.

She's not going to take medication because last time she did she became suicidal and the rest of the family just tries to ignore the bipolar, much like they ignore my autism/ADHD. There's a part of me that wants to say not all bipolar meds will be like that, but I won't even go back on the pill because of what it did to me.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
12-14-12, 08:38 AM
Sometimes there's nothing you can do, she has to want to stop drinking, and if she's bipolar, well I don't know what you can do besides make sure she doesn't drive or do anything that puts her or others in danger.

I used to drink a lot and didn't think it was a problem until family members began to express concern, and I'd sometimes wake up in strange houses next to strangers but that part was fun at the time.

You can't control other people but you can talk to her when she sobers up, other than that I don't know what you can do. Just try and make sure she doesn't drive at the very least.