View Full Version : Headaches when starting Wellbutrin -- they go away, right?

demuregeek
12-14-12, 12:03 PM
I'm 10 days into starting the initial dose of Wellbutrin XL 150mg qam, and I've had almost as many days with headaches than not -- the first few days, then they mostly quit, and now they've started up again.

I'm assuming this is part of the usual ramping-up side-effect game and they'll eventually go away once my brain adjusts to the funky new chemicals playing with it, right? Right? :)

demuregeek
01-04-13, 12:22 AM
I'll answer my own question :) it took about three weeks for the last of the headaches to subside. The effect on my mood has been positive, but it hasn't done jack for attention/focus.

I go up to 300mg tomorrow.

Raye
01-04-13, 11:36 AM
Sorry Demure I didn't see this-

Wellbutrin made my already weekly headaches worse, when I started it I had a headache every single day for the first 4 days.. plus it just made me feel 'jacked' up. Jacked up with a headache was way too weird for me, and even though it's supposed to build up in your system I guess, but I started noticing too many side effects too quickly so I stopped it.

Fuzzy12
01-04-13, 12:50 PM
I'm glad the headaches didn't last. I've never taken wellbutrin (in the UK it's only prescribed as a smoking cessation aid) but most side effects of the other anti-depressants I've taken didn't last longer than a few weeks. Well, apart from the constant tiredness.

I wonder if it takes some time to work on attention/focus as well. Usually it's said that anti depressants can take up to 6 weeks to be fully effective.

425runner
01-04-13, 09:01 PM
I always get headaches on Wellbutrin, as a matter of fact I'm in the process of quitting yet again...hopefully for good. I felt so much better without it today, not angry, not agitated, no road rage...

demuregeek
01-04-13, 11:35 PM
I wonder if it takes some time to work on attention/focus as well. Usually it's said that anti depressants can take up to 6 weeks to be fully effective.

<em>*nodnod*</em> The folks over at CrazyMeds <a href="http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Wellbutrin">suggest that Wellbutrin acts a bit faster than most ADs</a> -- it's certainly been the case for me, since I started seeing positive effects re depression within a few days. I haven't really noticed much of an improvement with regards to effectiveness since then, though -- that plateaued within those first few days and maybe took a little dip around the same time the headaches went away.

We'll have to see how much difference the 300mg dose makes. If it doesn't start having <em>some</em> effect relatively soon, I'm inclined to head back to my GP sooner than 6 weeks. My pdoc told me that I should give the Wellbutrin a month, but it probably wasn't going to adequately address my attention and focus problems on its own.

scottegon
01-12-13, 10:22 PM
I started on Wellbutrin 150xl and had no headaches. They then wanted me to go up to 300xl and on the 4th day I started getting bad headaches and felt racey. I called and now they are switching me to 200xl. The Wellbutrin helped with my depression symptoms but not my anxiety. I take klonopin 10mg every once in awhile when it gets too much to handle. Has Wellbutrin helped anyone with anxiety?? Still have crap running through my head about when I was really depressed that won't seem to go away too!! ugh Wish the medicine would erase some of those negative thoughts :)

koali777
01-18-13, 04:23 PM
I epic migraines at first and hypertension but with water and yeah a few weeks of getting used to it, I did much better