View Full Version : Article: Auditory Processing Disorder can be misdiagnosed as ADHD in kids

demuregeek
12-14-12, 12:15 PM
The Canadian Association of Speech-language Pathologists and Audiologists has been doing a media blitz to try to raise awareness of Auditory Processing Disorder, specifically in kids. I thought that this was a fairly reasonable article on the need to distinguish between APD and ADHD when someone presents with symptoms that may overlap.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/12/14/hearing-disorder.html

Phoenix Ash
12-14-12, 12:22 PM
The only thing is the article doesn't address the very real possibility of both APD and AD/HD in the same individual. I grew up with both, so I'm biased for sure, but I feel like it shouldn't be that difficult to see the difference. But maybe that's just me being off the cuff at the moment cos I'm short on sleep and my thinking isn't so clear today...

ezridax
12-14-12, 12:56 PM
My husband was diagnosed with both as a kid. If it were only possible for him to have one or the other (though I think it is definitely possible to have both), I'd say his bigger problem is the ADHD, not the APD. The APD might have been a bigger obstacle for him as a kid, but if so he's managed to compensate for it as an adult and it's not really distinguishable (to me) anymore from his ADHD.