View Full Version : Language: ADHD "victims"?

demuregeek
12-18-12, 02:33 PM
Old study, old article, but this isn't really about the content so much as the language it uses:

http://www.imassera.com/adhd-drugs-may-keep-sufferers-from-breaking-the-law/2418838/

In the title (emph mine):
ADHD Drugs May Keep Sufferers from Breaking the Law

and in the sidebar:
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) victims that are medicated may stop breaking the law.

Am I a victim of ADHD? It makes it sound like ADHD broke into my house, stole my car, and ate the last of my chocolate chip cookies. As a choice of wording, it's ridiculous. :eyebrow:

Fuzzy12
12-18-12, 02:38 PM
I don't like the word victim or sufferer much either since it makes me feel a bit pathetic but it's not completely far fetched if a victim is defined as someone who is troubled by something for no fault of theirs. You were born with ADHD, didn't ask for it, never had a choice, can't return it and you are stuck with it for life. :scratch:

ADHDTigger
12-19-12, 07:32 PM
In my opinion, that entire article seemed to disasterize ADHD. The whole tone bothers me.

I need to think about this. For some reason, that one bothers me more than other articles that have used terms like "sufferers" or "victims". I'm not sure why.