View Full Version : binge eating when rebound, how to prevent?

havocbiscuit
12-20-12, 09:20 AM
I have just started Concerta as have just been diagnosed adhd. I have an eating disorder though my psychiatrist felt it was all down to my adhd and that once that is under control the binge eating will subside. I find my eating is better during the day with the Concerta although I feel foggy and my brain doesn't work normally, but I find as it wears off around 6-7pm I get insane cravings and yesterday I had one of the worst binges I've had in years. What should I do?

Fuzzy12
12-21-12, 07:30 AM
I binge eat. It's very difficult to stop the cravings. The only thing that helps me is to make sure I'm not hungry. For example, by having lots of fibre and proteins and drinking lots of water. Maybe when you feel the need to binge try to binge on something healthy.

jmfmft
12-23-12, 06:28 AM
I have the same issue, on low dose Adderall, and sometimes, in the evening, I can go on a rampage. Like you, I have the eating d/o + adhd issue; I have found that the Adderall has really helped with it, but there is still once or twice weekly evening binge. I like what Fuzzy12 said, and i tried to opt for fruit, air popped popcorn, or other healthy things. Stress for me, plays a big factor in this.

GwenDee
12-28-12, 10:46 AM
Ah exactly what I came looking for this morning to see if anyone else has the same struggle.

I'm getting treatment for anxiety, depression, & bulimia and was diagnosed w/ADHD which was unexpected.
Really struggling to get my head right. I have issues with alcohol as well, which triggered my binge/purge episodes severely. Not drinking now - b/c you're not supposed to with Zoloft & Concerta.

If I tell myself I can have a glass of wine if I really really want it, it helps. At a restaurant or party, I can carry a glass around, but not drink it. It's been working, so I don't feel deprived, bc I tell myself - "Hey - you can have a bit if you want, it's right there".

What scares me is, over the last week, my ED said the same thing to me.
Obviously, a control issue and when my anxiety is peaked, all my maladaptive urges for coping are very very hard to ignore. I'm trying not to purge and have been purge free for 2 months or so, but the binging is not under control. I felt like it was progress to stop purging. Like I'm halfway there.

Over the holidays, some stressful moments...I found myself saying..."Hey - you can throw up if you need to. It's ok". I realized it's the same as me telling myself I can have a drink if I want, but it feels worse. It feels like my brain is going back to that place and trying to talk me into it, that it's OK.

My psychiatrist talked with me about Concerta & appetite suppressant effects. I did have a few days after increasing my dosage that I really did not want to eat at all but was also fighting off a virus and now my appetite has returned with a vengeance.

My psychologist recommended 'Intuitive Eating' and both she and psychiatrist have encouraged me to stop tracking what I'm eating, just eat when I am hungry and not restrict, but it's been horrible. I'm gaining weight like crazy and feel like I'm about to slide back down into the binge/purge cycle. I'm taking Concerta 72mg now - and I'm just not sure it's the best thing for me.

I guess we are still in the adjustment phase for the medication - 36mg wasn't working and we were gradually building up, but dr decided to skip trying 54mg and jump me to 72mg. the thing is, my 'normal' personality has always had this aspect - the crazy run around the room singing to myself side (that is hard to control and makes me feel embarrassed), and now that i'm less depressed - i feel like the concerta at the 72 is 'setting it free' and that is not what it's supposed to do.

sorry this is so long and disjointed and didn't mean to hijack the thread - i'm just thinking for those of us struggling with ED, any medication that is an appetite suppressant might not be a good choice....
Because of the time release - I can go much of the day without eating enough and when the meds start wearing off at night, I'm in instant binge territory. It is hard for me to be careful about eating during the day, with my job (a desk job, but business with constant interruptions), and I was thinking about setting a timer today to both check my progress on working without interrupting myself and to EAT small healthy meals....

And for me personally, I think I might need to go down to 54mg, but also finding I CAN concentrate and work productively now for first time in ages - so just torn.

so - any other drugs that are better choices for those of us with ED? or maybe this side effect is a phase that will subside over time?? Of course my doctor KNOWS my problems - and it was a relief not be obsessing over food every waking moment but I can't skip eating all day and then binge all night, I'll be right back where I started.

UGH!!

thank you all for letting me vent

havocbiscuit
01-01-13, 08:41 PM
Oh my goodness, that is EXACTLY my issue! It's like I really am not hungry during the day then the medicine wears off and I just can't stop eating. And I'm on 36mg of Concerta and it's really doing nothing, well a tiny bit, but nothing dramatic, so I can't tell if it's worth taking it when it then makes the eating so hard in the evenings. I've had such terrible evening binges. Cutting out sugar helps to an extent but if I restrict myself I then find that I binge on the restricted food at some point so there is little point. My psychiatrist said that 54mg is the maximum dose of Concerta? Maybe Concerta is just not for me. i'm talking with him tomorrow. I don't know what he'll say as I'm off to LA for two months for work at the end of the month and I'd so hoped to have this sorted before I left. Perhaps it's not to be. I don't know. I hate that these are controlled substances so I feel like if I say I feel my dose needs increasing, he'll think that I'm wanting more of a controlled drug?! Perhaps that's paranoid. I'd never abuse it, I hate it so that is the last thing I'd do, perhaps he knows that. Also I didn't know about not drinking! I've been having one glass of wine when I'm out on it. I got hammered on Christmas Eve on two glasses and that triggered a huge binge. If you aren't meant to drink that explains a lot. I'm not normally aj heavy drinker at all. It was weird that I did that at Christmas! Anyway let me know how you get on witht the higher dose. I know that taking a 10mg of Ritalin when I start to rebound in the evening sometimes helps with the binge in the evening, it's just hard to catch it in time but if you can and knwo reoughly when concerts wears off, perhaps that's an idea?

gemini-dreamer
01-02-13, 12:54 AM
Ah exactly what I came looking for this morning to see if anyone else has the same struggle.

I'm getting treatment for anxiety, depression, & bulimia and was diagnosed w/ADHD which was unexpected.
Really struggling to get my head right. I have issues with alcohol as well, which triggered my binge/purge episodes severely. Not drinking now - b/c you're not supposed to with Zoloft & Concerta.

If I tell myself I can have a glass of wine if I really really want it, it helps. At a restaurant or party, I can carry a glass around, but not drink it. It's been working, so I don't feel deprived, bc I tell myself - "Hey - you can have a bit if you want, it's right there".

What scares me is, over the last week, my ED said the same thing to me.
Obviously, a control issue and when my anxiety is peaked, all my maladaptive urges for coping are very very hard to ignore. I'm trying not to purge and have been purge free for 2 months or so, but the binging is not under control. I felt like it was progress to stop purging. Like I'm halfway there.

Over the holidays, some stressful moments...I found myself saying..."Hey - you can throw up if you need to. It's ok". I realized it's the same as me telling myself I can have a drink if I want, but it feels worse. It feels like my brain is going back to that place and trying to talk me into it, that it's OK.

My psychiatrist talked with me about Concerta & appetite suppressant effects. I did have a few days after increasing my dosage that I really did not want to eat at all but was also fighting off a virus and now my appetite has returned with a vengeance.

My psychologist recommended 'Intuitive Eating' and both she and psychiatrist have encouraged me to stop tracking what I'm eating, just eat when I am hungry and not restrict, but it's been horrible. I'm gaining weight like crazy and feel like I'm about to slide back down into the binge/purge cycle. I'm taking Concerta 72mg now - and I'm just not sure it's the best thing for me.

I guess we are still in the adjustment phase for the medication - 36mg wasn't working and we were gradually building up, but dr decided to skip trying 54mg and jump me to 72mg. the thing is, my 'normal' personality has always had this aspect - the crazy run around the room singing to myself side (that is hard to control and makes me feel embarrassed), and now that i'm less depressed - i feel like the concerta at the 72 is 'setting it free' and that is not what it's supposed to do.

sorry this is so long and disjointed and didn't mean to hijack the thread - i'm just thinking for those of us struggling with ED, any medication that is an appetite suppressant might not be a good choice....
Because of the time release - I can go much of the day without eating enough and when the meds start wearing off at night, I'm in instant binge territory. It is hard for me to be careful about eating during the day, with my job (a desk job, but business with constant interruptions), and I was thinking about setting a timer today to both check my progress on working without interrupting myself and to EAT small healthy meals....

And for me personally, I think I might need to go down to 54mg, but also finding I CAN concentrate and work productively now for first time in ages - so just torn.

so - any other drugs that are better choices for those of us with ED? or maybe this side effect is a phase that will subside over time?? Of course my doctor KNOWS my problems - and it was a relief not be obsessing over food every waking moment but I can't skip eating all day and then binge all night, I'll be right back where I started.

UGH!!

thank you all for letting me vent

I've been really wondering about this as I have some of the same issues you mention in this post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

SquarePeg
01-02-13, 05:23 AM
I have only just been diagnosed ADD at 47 and started concerta. I had 2 years of psychotherapy when I was 21 and was depressed and bulimic, binging and vomiting every single day. What was great about my therapy was that we didnīt talk about my bulimia, it was just a symptom of something else so trying to "control" it was never going to work. The underlying issues had to be addressed.

Now on Concerta I donīt eat until it wears off and then I tend to eat from about 6 in the evening until 10, but itīs not the same as bingeing at all, itīs not a complusion to eat, itīs because I am hungry. I have also lost weight which I wasnīt really looking to do.

GwenDee
01-06-13, 02:45 PM
SquarePeg - true about the control part. Through my adjustment to the meds, I'm finding myself skipping around among various compulsive behaviors all related to anxiety release and attempts at 'control'.
Havocbiscuit - any luck? My dr told me 108 is the maximum dose but if 72 didn't work, we'd probably go to something else.
After I posted here, I had a few good days at work, which was a tremendous relief. Without the funky side effects. I have not been taking the Concerta for the last 4-5 days as I have not been at work and wanted to try to get as much sleep as possible. But I think this dose might be ok for me, and have a full week of work ahead to test it.

What happened with your dr visit??

GwenDee
01-09-13, 10:57 AM
Just putting some more feedback in case helpful to anyone else here.... I just don't want to start a new thread and hope I'm not talking to myself so anyone else, PLEASE weigh in here too:)

the last two days have been a big relief. I started taking my Concerta again b/c I'm back at work. I've been obsessed, obsessed, crazy obsessed with food over the last week. I had not taken my meds at all or at least less than what dr said max should be. She told me I don't have to take the Concerta if it's weekend, not at work, and I was feeling like it was good to take a break since my stress level was down.

I had only a few days at the new higher dosage she prescribed (72mg). she did ask if I felt I wasn't as fixated on food and for some days that was true. anyway, I guess the thing was the 72 was initially making me feel a bit wiggy some days, periods of too much, getting a little bit hyper and not having the focus I wanted, insomnia, and so didn't take it on my days off.
Fast forward - this is day three for me back on the 72 since I am back at work. Now I'm thinking what an idiot I am. I'm not sitting every waking moment thinking about what I'm going to put in my mouth next. huge huge relief. the other negative effects seem to be dissipating as well so hope it continues.
I just got to a point over the weekend where I was really afraid I was going to go back into a bad binge/purge cycle. If I can keep myself from purging, I feel like it's a half step there, although then I am so miserable and feel like I'm also punishing myself by making me 'keep' whatever I binged on in me.
NOT drinking has been huge - b/c my binges where fueled by alcohol like a flash fire, and so now the binges have been NOT as bad. ok. So got 2 good days under my belt, looking for a 3rd but already late for work.

chronic lateness, not dissipating. trying.

ETA.....I have not purged since sometime in late October. I'm trying so hard not to so it's important to me to keep that part going, then work on next step of not binging. I lost about 25 lbs and was definitely overweight, but then started teetering into unhealthy range and then the drinking and my eating disorder grabbed each other by the hand and started skipping off to crazy when my stress skyrocketed.