View Full Version : "The Powerful Healing Benefits of a Drumming Circle" Article/Video

Unmanagable
12-22-12, 04:14 AM
I'm living proof of the therapeutic benefits.

I encourage you to seek one out just for s**** and giggles.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if it's for you, you'll know, and you'll be so damn glad you did. :)

http://www.shamanswell.org/shaman/powerful-healing-benefits-drumming-circle

"Beyond the individual health and wellness benefits of drumming, a group of drummers provides its own benefits that enhance the healing properties of the drums and rhythms.

Drumming with others can help establish community bonds and allow people to connect together on a level that does not require awkward small talk or allow other insecurities to surface that can inhibit interaction with new people.

Teamwork and cooperative skills that are needed in businesses and corporations, schools or other group organizations, are established naturally through drum circles.

By participating in a drum circle, the community rhythms that are produced do not rely on only one other member, and each contributor has their own sound to add, creating a musical picture of the power of collaboration that can translate well into business environments."

meadd823
12-22-12, 05:29 AM
I attend a woman drum circle at least twice a month more if time allows - I have been going to this all women'ss drum circle of a little over a yer now. I have found a more temperate side of myself - I agree that participating in a drum circle is very healing. I love the stream of consciousness playing music creates

I don't play a drum I do have a couple of rain makers I use - Our circle of women welcome all sorts of instruments besides the drums We have women who play every thing from a gong to a wooden flute.

Unmanagable
12-22-12, 06:13 AM
I was gifted a small rain stick last week. :)

I have a Native American flute, also, but haven't bonded with it quite as much, yet.

I play it more in the summer time up on the mountain. I leak and squeak a lot.

Percussion is definitely my favorite.

Kazoos are fun, too. lol

meadd823
12-22-12, 07:02 AM
Kazoos - hmmmm I am sure that would be interesting!

The first rain stick I received was a present from a couch - - My very tall brother had both legs in cast and had to sleep on the couch in the living room because my mom's hall way was to narrow to navigate a wheel chair threw

Mom's couch was to small for him to stretch out on - A neighbor was getting new furniture so he gave my mom his old couch because it was long enough to accommodate my brother's height

Years later mom's hip arthritis had gotten so bad she had to have both hips replaced so she could walk - She is pretty tall herself and she needed a couch that was higher off the ground and I just happen to have one in storage unit near by so I gave her mine.

About four of us were moving the couch my brother slept on out of her living room so I could move one I gave her in -

This old couch had been in my mom's house for years, it had been moved at least twice already. She even had a momma cat give birth to a litter of kittens inside of it.

- It wasn't until we were moving it out of the house that the rain stick rolled out from under it and stopped right at my feet - No one even knew what it was except me - I had at that time attended all of two drum circles one of which some one had a rain stick.

The previous owner of the couch had long scene moved away so I accepted the gift graciously!

Unmanagable
12-22-12, 07:42 AM
Nice! :)

mrs. dobbs
12-22-12, 08:01 AM
Drumming does it for me. I am not a drummer, but I play with drums. I don't do drum circles so much but have done a few dances and specific types of ceremonies.

Have:
Dumbek/darbouka
Udu
Gourd water drum
One sided hand drum
Full size electronic drum set
Shekere

Want:
Bata
Surdo
Dundun

Lunacie
12-22-12, 05:49 PM
I love doing drum circle. Used to take part in one in downtown "old town"
every weekend during the warmer months. Unfortunately that one ended.

This last summer someone started a new drum circle, but it only met
about once a month and I couldn't get to one of them. But when I did go
it was great - a beautiful location.

At the last one, which was in October I think, there were more than two
dozen drummers, the belly dance drumming group had heard about it.

The place where met was where two rivers meet, although there hasn't
been much water in the rivers for the last few years due to the drought.
http://www.wichita.gov/CityOffices/Culture/Keeper/WalkingTour.htm
image #7 is where we gather for drum circle

Lunacie
12-22-12, 06:22 PM
I forgot Chris had posted a video on youtube when we were drumming
in Old Town. (I'm playing Big Blue - yeah that's my good side haha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SjhyquwOAo

The young man dancing the middle of the circle part of the time has
Asperger's. His rhythm isn't very good but he sure enjoyed drum circle.

This is one I missed, bummer. That's my friend Gary in the red shirt.
He taught me a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjETv7b0gnk

mrs. dobbs
12-23-12, 02:01 AM
I grew up with drum circles being made of male drummers or people who played with confidence, sometimes there were some women. They were mostly in the park or in a dance class or a ceremony. If I was lucky someone would let me play something, but it would be more like me learning to do specific rhythms. But mostly you gather around and dance and get taken away. My brothers would also let me play with them at home sometimes-- and they aren't drummers. SO I personally have tried to get everyone, kids, mom, to play along with me, just because it clears, cleanses, energizes and refreshes... me, at least. I have used drums in 'healing' one on one, and in doing 'work' at home. But I have not had the fortune of going to drum circles like the ones you all have, with everyone in.

This is why I think an everybody drum circle, as well as specifically women's drum circles, are so good and I think maybe I've played along with one or two I've encountered, but just didn't have them nearby. The nature of the drum circles near me were intimidating or restricted to join in on-- and the ones being talked about here are the exact opposite.

salleh
12-23-12, 12:15 PM
One of the things I miss about not selling to the Berkeley flea market anymore is the drum circle .....this was taken in November ......and they are there every Saturday and Sunday ....all afternoon ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3qF4OeiRQQ

mrs. dobbs
12-23-12, 12:21 PM
^ Ah man, I miss Ashby station and BART period. Memories! My aunt used to get us our Xmas presents from the flea market... and her church I think. Are those timbales the guy in the pic has?

There was also a drum circle on campus, in the square on the campus end of Telegraph.

salleh
12-23-12, 12:21 PM
I love Berkeley .....you just never know what you'll see next .....and this video ( the one I just posted) is a relatively small group ...in the summer, there can be 2 or 3 times more drummers, lots of dancers and a huge crowd watching and head bouncing ......

there are other places in Berkeley that have spontaneous outbreaks of drum circles too ....

but the winner of all things wonderful and strange that I have seen in Berkeley ....was coming into the parking lot at the 99cent store ......it was almost dark, and there was a large group of dancers,.....a couple of people playing drums, and the dancers were stepping a squaredance type dance ...but with a huge flaming torch in each hand .....

only in Berkeley

I was telling this to a Berkeley resident, and they said ..oh yah ....one of the folks dancing is a local high school principal .....he loves it ! .....

mrs. dobbs
12-23-12, 12:25 PM
I'm homesick for the Yay Area now! Salleh every time I see "Emeryville" in your location, I kind of feel that way, tho.

mrs. dobbs
12-23-12, 12:29 PM
You know what else is good? Activist drum baterias (Batucada groups). I saw one years ago at a march in D.C.... the Kakalaka (or something) drum corps... from N. Carolina I think. We need an ADDF one!!

mrs. dobbs
12-23-12, 12:50 PM
87p0VRsEsfs

This is our local one where I grew up. It's alot more open to all levels and ages now I think.

Lunacie
12-23-12, 07:03 PM
Love that. We don't have anyone doing that kind of dancing around here
that I know of. I'd love to learn that dancing.

Setting up outside the flea market is a great idea! I don't know if there is
enough room on the sidewalk outside the flea market in Wichita though.

Unmanagable
12-23-12, 07:38 PM
We have a yoga co-op group that rents space in one of the historic downtown buildings. Now that it's cold, we meet there on Fridays and folks just leave a donation to help pay for the rental cost. All ages/skill levels welcome. People who own instruments bring them along to share with others who don't. The acoustics in that building are awesome! :)

One of my friends does drumming with children and he has them make their own percussion instruments out of coffee cans, oatmeal boxes, paper towel tubes and beans, etc. Pots and pans are often incorporated, too. :) He likes teaching them that we're surrounded by rhythm throughout our daily lives and helps them get creative.

There's a gentleman who hosts a Native American flute and drum circle once a month and uses space indoors at the local college, free of charge, to host it during cold months, and various outdoor spaces in the warm months.

I attended some rhythm renewal workshops and a great rhythm revival weekend hosted by Jim Donovan. He's an amazing Djembe instructor and incorporates the history of the drum, Native songs, proper drumming techniques, rhythm meditation, chanting, shamanic journeying, etc. in his teachings. If you ever have a chance to work with him, do it!

Prior to taking advantage of those experiences, I just beat on the drum wildly because it felt good. lol Now I can have a lil' taste of method to my madness. Whenever I can remember the method. hahahaha

The first and only song I learned to play was Fanga Alafia Ashe. I can't sing and drum at the same time, though. lol Fanga means 'welcome', alafia means 'peace', and ashe means 'amen'.

This is Fanga Alafia at one of Jim's classes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-a8BHzILVE&playnext=1&list=PLFA3292FD29A00295&feature=results_main

There's no feeling comparable to showing up with a couple dozen strangers, start a random beat, and finding our groove. Some powerful s***.

Lunacie
12-23-12, 07:49 PM
That looks great. My friend Gary is from Trinidad and he taught us one of
his native songs, but like you, I can't drum and sing at the same time. :giggle:

mrs. dobbs
12-24-12, 02:10 AM
Love that. We don't have anyone doing that kind of dancing around here
that I know of. I'd love to learn that dancing.

Setting up outside the flea market is a great idea! I don't know if there is
enough room on the sidewalk outside the flea market in Wichita though.

You know what? You might not even need to learn to dance like that, sometimes it's just the drums and being possessed by them.

What I love about West African dance classes is that someone who just started today and someone who has been dancing her or his entire lives can dance in the same class.

There's gotta be some in Witchita... Do it! do it! do it! So healing.

And from what I've heard Trinis do it best! Carnaval... partying... all of it :)

Lunacie
12-24-12, 11:58 AM
You know what? You might not even need to learn to dance like that, sometimes it's just the drums and being possessed by them.

What I love about West African dance classes is that someone who just started today and someone who has been dancing her or his entire lives can dance in the same class.

There's gotta be some in Witchita... Do it! do it! do it! So healing.

And from what I've heard Trinis do it best! Carnaval... partying... all of it :)

Nope, just did a web search for African dance classes in my area ... none.
There are a couple of belly dance studios in Wichita and one in El Dorado,
and they also teach hula, but no African dance here.

meadd823
12-26-12, 06:50 AM
Wow the drum circles shown by others here are soo hmm in the middle of town.

I don;t have any of the ladies drum circle because it is more of a private affair not to mention I am not generally in a state of mind that lends itself to taking videos.

During ritual prep I have taken pics but not sure about posting them off the group's site seeing as I have never know it to be done probably shouldn't until I look at the rules

I have videos of a few drum circles I attended during festival I will link to after utubes gets done uploading them.

Lunacie
12-26-12, 10:11 AM
Wow the drum circles shown by others here are soo hmm in the middle of town.

I don;t have any of the ladies drum circle because it is more of a private affair not to mention I am not generally in a state of mind that lends itself to taking videos.

During ritual prep I have taken pics but not sure about posting them off the group's site seeing as I have never know it to be done probably shouldn't until I look at the rules

I have videos of a few drum circles I attended during festival I will link to after utubes gets done uploading them.

I go where the drumming is. :D

I attended a ladies drum circle a couple of months ago, it got moved from
a camp on the edge of town to the finished basement of a business
downtown because of weather. Still it was a lovely evening.

meadd823
12-26-12, 04:06 PM
Our regular women's circle takes place in an inclosed room so the doors can be locked during the shamanic journeying part This prevents any unexpected intrusions when all but a facilitator are an an altered state.

We do a drum circle before we do the shamanic work because it cleanses and prepares us for the spiritual journey.

meadd823
12-26-12, 04:36 PM
Okay let me see if this works - These are people whom have given me permission in some form or fashion to video and allow these to be in the public domain.

These are taken in a private setting - it isn't exclusive but many of these things must take place on private lands due to the Christianity factor in these parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xeun2dC-a0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBmQb9pnkWY&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCT55nawJGg

Lunacie
12-26-12, 06:45 PM
That's very cool. We've had a couple of poi spinners come to drum circle a few times. Also lots of fun to watch.

Unmanagable
01-03-13, 11:31 PM
Here's another video I just came across regarding the healing power of drumming and wanted to share:

http://www.azcentral.com/video/2069401781001

meadd823
02-01-13, 04:50 AM
I can't get the sound to work correctly on the video even after I turn Pandora off completely. Too bad because I wanted to hear what they people had to say