View Full Version : Animal Totems

Unmanagable
12-22-12, 05:45 AM
Do certain animals cross your path often, or do you feel really drawn to specific animals?

I pay close attention to stuff like this in my life and thought some other folks may enjoy checking it out.

There are a lot more than what's on this list.

I chose this one because I like their delivery style.

http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_totems/finding.html
<H5>Animal Totem Communication

As with any human relationship, we need to understand the language of the animal partner in order to fully understand it.

Listening is approximately 85% of a conversation. In humans, when we listen, actually listen to every word and meaning the person is saying, we come to understand minute details that are important to that person.

The same applies likewise within the animal kingdom.

Communication and interaction strengthen and empower the union between animal worlds and ourselves.

Learning of your personal animal totem(s) will give you a greater sense of appreciation of your own connections to all life.

In human relationships, it may also help to understand the significance of that person's spirit animal(s) and how it interacts with your animal totem(s).

When you acknowledge the other dynamic energies that play a part of the relationship it will help you better understand the dynamics of the relationship as a whole.

This understanding can enhance and create a lasting foundation in all that you do. Listening to the animals around you will teach you something about yourself.

By recognizing and acknowledging animal totems as you see them, the energy working in your life will increase.

You will start to notice your personal power animal(s) everywhere you go, in books, magazines and postcards, in nature, in dreams and visions.

By surrounding yourself with totem images you connect with the animal and the energy and wisdom it imparts.

Your awareness will abound. Here follows a basic guideline to finding your special animal.

Which animals have always fascinated you, especially in childhood?
Which animals have you always felt connected to?
What animals do you see frequently in the wild?
Which quality of animal best describes your personality?
Which animals do you have around you in pictures or figurines?
</H5>

meadd823
12-22-12, 06:38 AM
Our family totem is the cat (http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/cat.htm) -

Up until recently it has always been the domesticated felines (http://healing.about.com/od/animaltotems/tp/cat-totems.htm) but of late more and more feral cats have entered into our lives - This is three generations alive at the same time living in different locations but we are all experiencing an increase in feral cats.

Of my mom's family coming from her father's side , of the siblings born during each generation one person seems to be prone to acquiring multiple cats - Typically the oldest child.

This is some thing I knew before I actually learned what a totem was.

mrs. dobbs
12-22-12, 06:44 AM
My family totem is the moose, our last name is an old Swedish word for moose (oh no! giving away my identity!). We are not supposed to eat our family totem but I have had some moose sausage before.

My personal totem is a bird. When I would travel, it's in the form of a bird lady, it just happened that way. It came to me. Birds make sense to me.

I was told that the Orisha who owns my head is a camino of Oshun... she is the most popular Orisha. Her animal is a peacock and I think I've had a rubber duckies on her altar too. Yet I feel more like Eleggua or Oya-- especially because I love storms and justice. And I respond most to Oggun's song.

My personality is also like a bonobo. Except for the sex part. I'm kind of asexual, but I like parties, peaceful social solutions and want to be cozy and included in a large family. That is in direct conflict with my rogue bird like nature.

My sister said I look like a manatee. HAHA. Not nice.

I think I'm not supposed to reveal all this, but I did. :P

amberwillow
12-22-12, 09:04 AM
I walk with panthers. I had the honour of raising a puma as a teenager.

A black panther- like cat moved into our house one day without our very jealous two girl cats even twitching. He was my shadow hunter for two years.

Now a panther strolls in my dreams...

Spacemaster
12-22-12, 12:58 PM
Meadd, I had no idea you'd pick cat! :faint: :lol:

Me too, cat. Definitely. Both domestic and wild.

Lately, I've been drawn to owls.

sarek
12-22-12, 01:08 PM
I am not sure. I am a cat and dog person, but then is not almost everyone a cat and dog person?
I am very much the lone hunter type of guy so perhaps the cat and maybe the owl would be appropriate.

And I dont know if it means anything but my ex gf brought squirrels and especially magpies into my life and I notice the latter everywhere. I always count them and for obvious reasons prefer to see two of them at a time

One for sorrow, two for joy.

TygerSan
12-22-12, 01:17 PM
Hawks/Raptors/osprey (eagles, too, but they're a *much* rarer sight around here)

When I was a kid, I used to dream that I could fly. I wanted to be able to *so* badly.

I have a friend who's active in the pagan community. She told me if I ever saw a hawk in a dream, that I should talk to it. It appeared, and I tried to speak to it, but it turned into an owl, looked at me and flew away. . .

I also have some affinity for cats, especially big cats, but spiritually, definitely more of a hawk lady.

Lunacie
12-22-12, 01:41 PM
Butterfly brings me knowledge that I'm going through a transformation
(like my divorce) or some kind of growth, often spiritual. This happens
every few years.

Owl has brought me hidden knowledge. Most amazing was the time my
daughter and I were driving home through a stormy night, the headlights
of my minivan picked up something in the highway. As we got close this
amazing huge owl slowly lifted up and over the top of the van.

We looked at each other and said that must mean something. In an
instant the knowledge came to me and I said, be very alert for bad
weather in the next week or so.

One week later, almost to the very minute, a tornadic storm suddenly
changed direction and blasted through the town where my daughter and
her family were living, causing minor damage to their rental house,
destroying the garage in the back yard and everything for several blocks
on, killing one person.

But they were aware thanks to the warning from friend owl, and ran for
the basement, and stayed safe.

peripatetic
12-22-12, 02:07 PM
so, i'm not versed on this (full stop...like...know nothing) and am replying to this thread not because anything i do fits the "meditation/spirituality" category...but because if you'd asked my favourite animal or what i like, etc...i'd've said squirrels, foxes, sloths, anteaters (i'm a sucker for a xenarthran).

but scanning through this thread's original post (albeit just as moderator of section) i saw your questions, unmanageable, and here's the thing:

elephants

what's up with elephants? looking around the room i'm in, there are three of them in art pieces on my walls. granted, there are other animals in two...the batik is faire le chase, so it has several, as does one other...there are two other artworks (not in this room) that contain an elephant as at least semi-central figure. i don't collect things other than art that goes on walls...so...my "where animals appear" options are fairly limited.

anyway, i would never have thought about elephants as anything. but, i've ridden on them, saw a bull elephant in asia ("wild"), which is rare, according to the guy...i was on my own female elephant...who had this really cute calf that she let me touch...pet, i mean, for like a minute. and we gave them baths. it was cool.

years ago when i lived in africa i once slept on the ground rather than in the canopy when traipsing around this one national park with random guide i met at a palm wine shack and despite having encountered herd (with calves...eek!!!) on the trail, slept on ground (****, ****, **** that guide...i still want to kill him for nearly getting me killed) and they were ALL AROUND and forest elephants are pretty damned hostile...not like the savannah ones...anyway...i totally didn't get my pup tent jettisoned into the trees but there were tracks all around us the next day.

so...yeah...elephants. i'd not have selected them as an animal of particular interest, but they are on my walls and atypically in my history. so what's up with that, totem insiders?

Lunacie
12-22-12, 02:57 PM
so, i'm not versed on this (full stop...like...know nothing) and am replying to this thread not because anything i do fits the "meditation/spirituality" category...but because if you'd asked my favourite animal or what i like, etc...i'd've said squirrels, foxes, sloths, anteaters (i'm a sucker for a xenarthran).

but scanning through this thread's original post (albeit just as moderator of section) i saw your questions, unmanageable, and here's the thing:

elephants

what's up with elephants? looking around the room i'm in, there are three of them in art pieces on my walls. granted, there are other animals in two...the batik is faire le chase, so it has several, as does one other...there are two other artworks (not in this room) that contain an elephant as at least semi-central figure. i don't collect things other than art that goes on walls...so...my "where animals appear" options are fairly limited.

anyway, i would never have thought about elephants as anything. but, i've ridden on them, saw a bull elephant in asia ("wild"), which is rare, according to the guy...i was on my own female elephant...who had this really cute calf that she let me touch...pet, i mean, for like a minute. and we gave them baths. it was cool.

years ago when i lived in africa i once slept on the ground rather than in the canopy when traipsing around this one national park with random guide i met at a palm wine shack and despite having encountered herd (with calves...eek!!!) on the trail, slept on ground (****, ****, **** that guide...i still want to kill him for nearly getting me killed) and they were ALL AROUND and forest elephants are pretty damned hostile...not like the savannah ones...anyway...i totally didn't get my pup tent jettisoned into the trees but there were tracks all around us the next day.

so...yeah...elephants. i'd not have selected them as an animal of particular interest, but they are on my walls and atypically in my history. so what's up with that, totem insiders?

Yeah, I began collecting butterfly art long before I learned about totem animals.

So - the elephant:

An Elephant totem gives you
ancient wisdom and power to draw upon.
It embodies strength and power.
Elephant people often have a very strong sex drive. Through the use of fragrances and incense,
Elephant can guide you to new energies and power. Elephant people show great affection to their families, caring for the young and the elderly.
They also have an inborn knowledge of roots and plants.
An Elephant will give you insight into the power of the three feminine energies:
child, mother and old wise woman (or crone).
The Hindu god Ganesh, god of overcoming obstacles, is associated with the Elephant.

http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/elephant.htm

amberwillow
12-22-12, 04:37 PM
Aside from my respect and affinity to cats, dogs and horses (our domesticated friends) I have loved otters for as long as I can remember. Otters and peregrine falcons... In my home life lately though the mantid keeps popping up.

My husband found a new species of Mantid in our garden the other day, it was fuzzy. It swayed the length of my finger. I found it a favorable spot and let it go... Beautiful and strange.

mrs. dobbs
12-22-12, 04:46 PM
^ I loved the mantids/mantises (?) I had for integrated pest management in my food garden. They definitely were my friends.

As for domesticated friends... L.A. is not a great place for dogs who get out. I have this thing where I happen to be there when dogs get hit in the street. It has happened three times where someone hit a dog and kept going. One of them, I ran out into the street and picked her up... s/he died in my arms, the other one I picked up and s/he was ok, and the last one was a puppy I took to a hospital after getting her out of a huge main street in LA and she was put to sleep. I lived with a lady who saved dogs, and we lived with six dogs in the house...

meadd823
12-30-12, 06:53 AM
Hawks/Raptors/osprey (eagles, too, but they're a *much* rarer sight around here)

When I was a kid, I used to dream that I could fly. I wanted to be able to *so* badly.

I have a friend who's active in the pagan community. She told me if I ever saw a hawk in a dream, that I should talk to it. It appeared, and I tried to speak to it, but it turned into an owl, looked at me and flew away. . .

I also have some affinity for cats, especially big cats, but spiritually, definitely more of a hawk lady.

Hawk -Seeing the larger picture / Message from Spirit / Clear Sight / Focus / Flow

Owl - Silent Movement / Mystery / Secrets / Wisdom / Clairvoyance

Very interesting - Seeing the situation as a hawk but handle it like an owl

Flying - messages and transformation and of coarse seeing situations from above in which all directions are equally visible - apply to situation you were thinking of just before sleep take care with whom you share your wisdom.

Hope this helps :)

midnightstar
12-30-12, 02:28 PM
Domestic cats because we've had them around a lot (and round here most of the neighbourhood cats come over to say hi when they see me around - there's one that's easily spooked I'll admit so she tends to run off rather than say hi)

Also recently I've started having more of an "obsession" with wolves but Idk why :scratch:

Joker_Girl
12-31-12, 10:46 AM
A domestic dog, most likely, although I am also drawn to unicorns for some reason.

I have only had one very odd experience with an animal, it occurred in high school, I was driving down an old stretch of highway late at night and sensed an animal running along my passenger side, it was a very large black dog-wolf type thing (we don't have wolves here to my knowledge) but it was huge and very fast, and when I saw it, the first thought I had was that it was a werewolf.

I'm not gonna lie, though, I was probably on drugs.

dresser
12-31-12, 10:56 AM
dreams of soaring over fieldsand farms mountains and roof tops- roadways and alleys and bear encounters and other demonstration of the spirittule realm some of it was very powerfull yea!I'm open to the spirituale stay well N thanks

meadd823
01-01-13, 05:11 AM
Joker_Girl some people do have totems that are mystical - it is much like working with daemons, angles or deities.

Totem Unicorn Spirit Guide or Animal Familiar (http://suite101.com/article/totem-unicorn-spirit-guide-or-animal-familiar-a303874)

I have read enough of your post to know about some of your past experiences. Soooo before you hurt yourself falling off your chair laughing please do know our spirit guides often represent opposing energies than the ones we consciously see in ourselves.

One of the facilitators in our women's circle can't see for diddly in the dark but her totem animals are panther and owl both who see well in the dark.

The other facilitator is a lot like I am prefers logic and practicality yet we both experience mythical creatures in our spiritual work - which is often any thing but pragmatic.

We as physical beings are both darkness and light - Humans are driven as much by what we do not think we are as we are by what we see ourselves as.