View Full Version : Never noticed a difference with Wellbutrin

cbassolympics
12-22-12, 09:29 PM
I have been taking Wellbutrin for about 2 weeks now, for ADD. I haven't noticed anything different. I know my doctor told me it would take a while to feel the full affects. I started with taking 50mg once a day for a week, and moved up to 50mg twice a day from then on. I spoke to my doctor about maybe upping the dosage or switching to something a little stronger, but she told me to ride it out for a bit longer.

Can anyone give me some input on their experience with Wellbutrin for ADD. I was noted as having a "milder" case of inattentive ADD, but i feel like that was only because i've learned some tricks to keep focus, but using those tricks causes a lot of mental fatigue.

Phoenix Ash
12-23-12, 02:32 AM
Your doctor is right. Like all meds in the anti-depressant class, you have to give it time. They don't work the same as the stimulant class does.

It is far too early to know whether or not this medication is right for you. I'd say give it an absolute minimum of another two weeks at 100 mg before thinking of moving upward again. Sometimes people see quicker results, but sometimes it can also take as long as 6 - 8 weeks of correct dosing for Welly to start having an impact.

Try to stay patient, and always keep a log of your dosing and how it does/doesn't affect you. If you're able to show that log to your doctor, she'll likely be much more receptive to your adjustment requests.

Wellbutrin dosing typically tops out at 450mg/day. If you reach that level and your log shows you still don't have adequate symptom control, then you'll be in a strong position to discuss alternative meds with your doctor.

Best of luck to you! :)

Phoenix Ash
12-23-12, 02:43 AM
Well, now I'm confused. Your older thread from 12/18 says you've been taking Welly for 6 weeks, at 100 mg, twice a day (which would be 200 mg/day). That's a big difference from 2 weeks of 50 mg x 2.

Hello once again i am new to this message board, so i am not sure where to post this in.

But i was recently diagnosed with Adult ADD about 5 months ago. My doctor then prescribed me Wellbutrin but i haven't noticed any difference. I've been taking 100mg twice a day for about 6 weeks now. I want to ask to maybe switch prescriptions to something a little more potent, but dont want my doctor to think im just trying to get drugs. Ive only been on the Wellbutrin for 6 weeks, is that long enough for it make a difference?

So... which is it? Have you been on Wellbutrin for 2 weeks, or 6? 50 mg a day? 100? 200? Makes it hard to help you if your info is inconsistent.

never2late
12-23-12, 02:47 AM
I heard wellbutrin dosnt need to build in your system to work. Case in point Wellbutrin IR or non XR.

In my experience Wellbutrin enhanced my stimulants (Concerta). On its own my Doctor said it is " a cheap dirty stimulant". On its own it didnt have any real benefit for me.

Phoenix Ash
12-23-12, 03:21 AM
I heard wellbutrin dosnt need to build in your system to work. Case in point Wellbutrin IR or non XR.

Well, yes and no... there are some effects that may be felt right away but most of Welly's effects take time. It's difficult for me to explain, but this thread may help:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132459

anonymouslyadd
12-23-12, 04:34 AM
I can't remember when I began to feel the effects of this wonder drug, but it's amazing! I haven't noticed a difference in my ADD symptoms, though. Those are best handled through Adderall.

Best to you.:)

ADDinHDefgHi?!
12-23-12, 06:38 AM
Wellbutrin is the only anti depressant that ever worked for me, unfortunately I'm not allowed to take it anymore since my klonopin dose is decreasing and my psych doesn't want to risk keeping me on wellbutrin because of the seizure risk.

I was on it for a couple years at one point, I could feel the effects on day 2 and it wasn't placebo, I noticed my heart rate was up and I was a little dizzy. By day 3 I woke up feeling happy and optimistic for the first time in years. It really balanced my moods, took away my desire to self medicate with other drugs and energized me.

It didn't do much for ADHD, but it was a lot better than nothing. I was rx'd it before my ADHD dx. I actually took my first few wellbutrins on my own, my sister gave them to me because they worked for her and she saw I was depressed. So maybe being really depressed helped it work faster since my dopamine levels were at an all time low.

I was later prescribed wellbutrin but I took 150mg two times a day. 50mg seems pretty low but your doctor knows best.

cbassolympics
12-26-12, 03:11 AM
Well, now I'm confused. Your older thread from 12/18 says you've been taking Welly for 6 weeks, at 100 mg, twice a day (which would be 200 mg/day). That's a big difference from 2 weeks of 50 mg x 2.

So... which is it? Have you been on Wellbutrin for 2 weeks, or 6? 50 mg a day? 100? 200? Makes it hard to help you if your info is inconsistent.
Ya i apologize for that, its actually been 2 full weeks of 2 servings a day of 50mg. and 5 weeks, more or less, of 50mg once day.

My doctor told me to keep a daily log of my servings, but i just never did it.

Haakenlid
12-26-12, 09:16 AM
100mg is a quite low dose.

Therapeutic doses of Bupropion is commonly in the 300 - 450 mg a day range. Even higher is also possible, but not recommended because it can cause seizures, especially with doses 600mg and up.

Even so, it might be the case that this drug doesn't really work for you. But you might want to titrate up a bit more before giving it up.

I've been prescribed 300mg a day for depression, extended release (It's called "Wellbutrin Retard" here in Europe, but it seems to be the same as what's marketed as Wellbutrin XL in the States). I don't really notice any difference with my mood or ADD symptoms, but it does suppress my cravings for tobacco and candy.

I quit it for several months without noticing any withdrawal symptoms. I recently began taking it again on advice from my psychiatrist.

425runner
12-26-12, 03:08 PM
I agree completely!! It doesn't do squat for my ADHD -in fact it makes it a lot worse, never cured my depression either just gives me more energy and makes me wanna go out to do things but also muddles my thinking.

It does however, cured me of drinking alcohol and binge eating, I don't have any desire to indulge in chocolates while on it. I guess it works on preventing addiction...don't really wanna take it :rolleyes:

100mg is a quite low dose.

Therapeutic doses of Bupropion is commonly in the 300 - 450 mg a day range. Even higher is also possible, but not recommended because it can cause seizures, especially with doses 600mg and up.

Even so, it might be the case that this drug doesn't really work for you. But you might want to titrate up a bit more before giving it up.

I've been prescribed 300mg a day for depression, extended release (It's called "Wellbutrin Retard" here in Europe, but it seems to be the same as what's marketed as Wellbutrin XL in the States). I don't really notice any difference with my mood or ADD symptoms, but it does suppress my cravings for tobacco and candy.

I quit it for several months without noticing any withdrawal symptoms. I recently began taking it again on advice from my psychiatrist.

cbassolympics
12-26-12, 06:03 PM
I agree completely!! It doesn't do squat for my ADHD -in fact it makes it a lot worse, never cured my depression either just gives me more energy and makes me wanna go out to do things but also muddles my thinking.

It does however, cured me of drinking alcohol and binge eating, I don't have any desire to indulge in chocolates while on it. I guess it works on preventing addiction...don't really wanna take it :rolleyes:

Its unfortunate to hear so many responses that share the similar results that welbutrin has little to no effect on ADD/ADHD.

How long had you been taking it until you noticed more energy?

425runner
12-28-12, 02:18 PM
It varies daily, usually I notice more energy the first week when I start, then it slowly goes away...sometimes it makes me feel "stoned" and sometimes makes me ADHD so bad that I can't stop talking...weird.

mrzyphl
12-28-12, 04:09 PM
I've been on it for just over 2 months. First 6 weeks 150mg and last 2 weeks 300mg. I haven't noticed any diffierence mentally or physically. I think I feel more positive, energetic and less stressed but I might just be telling myself that because they are not really quantifiable.