View Full Version : Your Spiritual Places

mrs. dobbs
12-26-12, 05:16 AM
Where do you feel your spirit come alive? What places speak to you? Where do you become real? Where do you 'wake up'?

For me, these places are in rooted in childhood memories. The smell of trees and soil in certain places. Places where I first felt the largeness of existence.

For some of us, these are places we camp or hang our hats, or places we drive or travel through, for others places we walk, hike or climb, still others, places we surf or paddle. Still others, remote geographical locations we've only seen once.

What places with their sights, smells, sounds and energies have awakened you to your higher self?

I will start with an old familiar journey for me: the Interstate 10 journey from California to Louisiana we used to make every other summer. Interstate 10 isn't the most scenic route, but I first remember feeling very awake on those drives. I miss them so very much now.

TheChemicals
12-26-12, 09:59 AM
Youre like a spirit threads guru.

mrs. dobbs
12-26-12, 10:53 AM
TheChemicals!

Where's your spiritual place? Apparently it wasn't a mall parking lot :S :D

TheChemicals
12-26-12, 11:30 AM
My spiritual place is below my waistline :D

FreewayFlyer04
12-26-12, 01:08 PM
Movement, long drives, started out with dad loading up the car, or the Cessna, and heading out. Day or night, lets go. I always went, not everyone else did. Sometimes a plan, and sometimes whats over the next ridge.

I used to take long rides on my motorcycle years before I had a license. Didn't realize then I was soothing myself. Now I know I am, and family appreciates it.

Time for prayer, reflection, and sometimes just turning the brain off, and let the steady V-Twin power flow, precise, filling the rough places, and driving me ahead to whats next. And finally bringing me back to the people I love, ready to be human again.

mrs. dobbs
12-26-12, 01:16 PM
Day or night let's go is when I feel really alive. I love pre-dawn travel.

And I forgot flying! Some of us here must fly. How incredible that must be.

FreewayFlyer, you have a picture of where you'd go?

TheChemicals, I don't think a picture of your spiritual place is allowed on ADDF, forum rules, though that being your spiritual place is totally, perfectly understandable.

Raye
12-26-12, 05:15 PM
Any place near a huge body of water. I've been to both oceans, and used to live right on Lake Erie.

mrs. dobbs
01-01-13, 04:27 AM
Here and now.

Not geographically here, and not temporally now.
But hereandnow.

meadd823
01-01-13, 05:21 AM
Every where and no where at all

My Spiritual Place - does not exist in this realm of reality.

danelady
01-01-13, 08:09 AM
I know exactly where my spiritual place is..where my spirit flies free and where I would like to be when my spirit leaves my body...not that I have a choice in that matter.

The first time I saw the place I felt home....really home.

My spritual place is at the base of the Galiuro Mtns,along the San Pedro River in Arizona.
I have spent so much time walking there,sleeping there, waking up to its beauty. I can just sit and watch the shadows move across the desert floor to feel that all is right in the world. My only company a lizard scurrying along the path,or a hawk as it lazily soared over my head.

It is my place,I am home here,but there are so many people invading its purity...its not so private any more. Developers are building closer and closer to the mountains. Man will find a way to ruin this place too.

But I still know the secret places and the secret ways to get there, I think I am needing to go and visit the place again to feel better. Its not that far from where I am right now...a couple of hours.

FreewayFlyer04
01-06-13, 01:40 AM
Day or night let's go is when I feel really alive. I love pre-dawn travel.

FreewayFlyer, you have a picture of where you'd go?

No one pic would really explain it. I do understand the early start, watching the sun rise on the road, but I have also chased the sunset west across Montana.

Washington State runs from the coast, to the mountains, to rolling wheat fields. Lots of places to disappear.

mrs. dobbs
01-06-13, 03:32 AM
I hear you. It's an experience.

I've done the Seattle to Montana drive once, a long time ago... really amazing.

mrs. dobbs
01-06-13, 03:49 AM
I know exactly where my spiritual place is..where my spirit flies free and where I would like to be when my spirit leaves my body...not that I have a choice in that matter.

The first time I saw the place I felt home....really home.

My spritual place is at the base of the Galiuro Mtns,along the San Pedro River in Arizona.
I have spent so much time walking there,sleeping there, waking up to its beauty. I can just sit and watch the shadows move across the desert floor to feel that all is right in the world. My only company a lizard scurrying along the path,or a hawk as it lazily soared over my head.

It is my place,I am home here,but there are so many people invading its purity...its not so private any more. Developers are building closer and closer to the mountains. Man will find a way to ruin this place too.

But I still know the secret places and the secret ways to get there, I think I am needing to go and visit the place again to feel better. Its not that far from where I am right now...a couple of hours.

I'm looking at pics of the Galiuro mountains... just to get the serenity flowing... I first really felt present and free in the Arizona desert too, so I can really get you on this. But I've never been exactly where you are talking about! I can't wait to get back to the desert, and bring my daughter.

Bluerose
01-10-13, 09:14 PM
My spiritual place is in my heart, and I can go there any time I want.

ezridax
01-10-13, 10:09 PM
I believe in modesty and keeping my body "sacred" not parading it for public viewing.

Interesting, then, that I seem to feel most in touch with spiritual things when I am naked...I'm not referring to sexuality or anything sensual ...I just enjoy the transcendence I feel when I'm not hindered by my clothing ...difficult to explain. I will often pray naked...at first it felt irreverent, but now it's just helps me to open up more to God, from whom nothing is ever hidden...

mrs. dobbs
01-11-13, 11:05 AM
I am with you on the modesty in public.... for so many reasons...

... and I think there's something very profound and sacred about praying 'skyclad' as the wiccans say. I believe it's pure, potent and sincere.

ezridax
01-11-13, 11:13 AM
I am with you on the modesty in public.... for so many reasons...

... and I think there's something very profound and sacred about praying 'skyclad' as the wiccans say. I believe it's pure, potent and sincere.

Thanks. I started getting a bit panicky last night thinking folks were finding my post disturbing somehow ....maybe provoking an unwanted mental image....if so,sorry! I do tend to spout out some inappropriate things at times so I worry about this. It's bad enough when it happens in RL let alone in writing on an internet forum.

mrs. dobbs
01-11-13, 11:21 AM
No way, if anything your post is the opposite. It's easy to panic on here though. I do it allll the time.

Sandy4957
01-11-13, 03:16 PM
There's nothing about that post that seems disturbing to me. That's why nudists are nudists, isn't it?

I guess I'm just insensitive to anything like that. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, for crying out loud. They have legalized public nudity! LOL! :)

danelady
01-11-13, 04:07 PM
To find the Galiuros look for San Manuel and Mammoth on the side of the San Pedro river,on the other side are the other towns,names slip my mind right now.

Head north north out of Tucson on Oracle Rd,where it turns into Hwy 77,following the Catalina Mtns. You'll go thru Oro Valley (watch your speed,they like to write tickets) and hit the tiny town of Catalina and then on to Oracle Junction where you hang a right,but stay on 77. You will be driving thru the beautiful Sonoran Desert!

Oracle is at the top of the hill. This is where Biosphere II is located. Google it,its pretty cool. Oracle is like a getaway for Tucsonans,cause its a higher elevation and is a lot cooler. I have good friends I've known for 30yrs there.

If you have time stop in and see Sue and Jerry's Ranch Store in Oracle, its full of second hand stuff and metal artwork. The coolest place!!!

As you leave Oracle you will crest the hill and there,right before your eyes you will see the most magnicent sight! The Galiuro Mtns and the San Pedro River Valley.

The mountains are beautifu! The rock comes down and meets the desert floor where it flattens out for a bit and then makes a sharp drop to the river. There are cliffs and washes and ghost mines and towns. In the spring there are pools of water.

To get onto the road at the base of the cliffs you can just follow the highway thru Mammoth and hang a right on River Rd. Or,if the river isn't flowing you can go down into Mammoth and cut across the river...but you wanna have 4 wheel drive.

I used to live in Mammoth and tended bar in a little adobe hut called ...Mammoth Inn. People actually rode up on their horses to come in for a drink!

I spent years climbing those cliffs and crawling thru those washes and just hanging there,dodging javalina and a few rattlers and some of those lean mean Mexican cows! There is fire agate,lace agate...all kinds of agates there,along with geodes,crystals and amythyst.

The miners have been cleaning the place out for generations,but I still like looking! There are fluorescent minerals laying all over the ground...if ya know what ta look for!:rolleyes:

Unfortunately a Canadian mining company has come in and closed off a lot of the area. This is basically a mining area anyway,but this particular spot is my heaven here on earth.

Also a lot of it has been donated to the Nature Conservancy to protect it. A few miles down Hwy 77 is Arivaca Wilderness. And that is easy to get to!

Google Sombrero Butte,that's the area I love...RIGHT THERE! And its only 50mi from Tucson!

I'm looking at pics of the Galiuro mountains... just to get the serenity flowing... I first really felt present and free in the Arizona desert too, so I can really get you on this. But I've never been exactly where you are talking about! I can't wait to get back to the desert, and bring my daughter.

mrs. dobbs
01-11-13, 04:23 PM
I'm gonna do my damndest to follow those exact directions when I get back to the States. I love working with agates. BOO mining company :(

Unmanagable
01-29-13, 11:53 PM
This spot is my favorite place to be....Raven's Roost Overlook.....at sunset.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK77FeWBWSM

Electra2
01-30-13, 01:16 AM
I had a major spiritual experience at a camp once,
but I am amazed where ever I go...:cool:

Rebelyell
01-30-13, 01:22 AM
Ive have had several spiritual experiences.I also love the smell of soil and cedars and agates geodes amythys are cool looking stones.I hate the environmentalists because there locking alot of atvers and dirtbikers out of public lands.When I ride I ride around a little bit shut the bike off on a hill or an ideal spot and I drink my water and listen to the noise in the woods,birds some peaks ya can see for miles.I think I do more soul searching in the woods then riding sometimes.I also love the sound and smell of the beach and oceans

Rebelyell
01-30-13, 01:24 AM
I also take people into account if the eyes are the windows to the soul then someones voice is the sweetest sound of all and once there gone that beuaty is gone forever.

Electra2
01-30-13, 01:43 AM
I also take people into account if the eyes are the windows to the soul then someones voice is the sweetest sound of all and once there gone that beuaty is gone forever. That reminded me of two quotes I like.

"I have my own particular sorrows, loves, delights;
and you have yours.
But sorrow, gladness, yearning, hope, love,
belong to all of us, in all times and in all places.
Music is the only means whereby we feel these emotions
in their universality."
~ H. A. Overstreet (1894-1985) ~

Its language is a language which the soul
alone understands,
but which the soul can never translate.
~ Arnold Bennett (1867 - 1931) ~