View Full Version : Neat Desktop Scanner

mrrothadder
12-30-12, 06:28 PM
Anyone here use a Neat Desktop Scanner, is it worth spending 400 dollars for us ADDERS to get organized? And to remove the paper all over the desk??

DvlsAdv0c8
12-31-12, 12:57 PM
I've not used that particular product, but it seems like a $40 multi-purpose printer/copier/scanner would be just as effective.

I'm not sure about the software that comes with the Neat Scanner, but I just scan my stuff with my cheap little Epson, save it as a PDF and organize it my own way.

I also upload important PDFs into my Google Drive so I can access them from anywhere.

Joker_Girl
12-31-12, 02:45 PM
I have seen that on TV and thought about it, because it apparently sorts and files stuff even. But I do t know if I would get around to actually putting the stuff into it, or deciding what to scan and what papers I actually need to keep.

mrrothadder
12-31-12, 04:16 PM
That acutally good idea DVLSADV
I was thinking of getting MFP brother laser printer, wireless and use that for scans and import to pdf to Dropbox..

dogluver358
01-10-13, 07:17 PM
I was thinking about that scanner too. I was concerned the software wouldn't organize it to where I could find it. However I was willing to give it a go, but at $400??!?! I can think of better ways to spend that. I think I would rather use my printer/scanner and find some kind of cheaper software on my own. Anyone know of any stand-alone software like the one that comes with the neat scanner?

ezridax
01-10-13, 07:26 PM
A. I'm always skeptical that anything "as seen on TV" actually works the way they say it does.

B. If I can't even be bothered to shred stuff right away why would I be any different putting things through a scanner?

GeordieDave
01-10-13, 07:26 PM
For me printers are basically 'You get what you pay for' devices.

If you are wanting to print photos or wanting to print a few hundred pages as soon as possible then you want to get yourself a decent printer. I personally from past experiences never managed to get a cheap but good enough printer for my photos.

But if you are just printing bits ans bobs then a value one will do just fine.

A lot of people under estimates scanners. At first I was not that fussed with a scanner.. But now I have one it has come in incredibly handy.

salleh
01-10-13, 11:06 PM
I have an almost fatal weakness for gadgets, and inventions ......

wanted a Dremel.....for years .....got one finally, with all the bells and whistles ......and then realized that I didn't have one single thing that I actually needed it for .....sigh .....

I have seen that scanner on TV and frankly I lust, I drool.... I want that BAD ! .....if for no other reason that to watch papers pass through ......

....so I just popped over to ebay and Amazon ....and low and behold, I found several of the very small pass through scanners, brand new ...for between about $70 and $220 for the kind you can put just about anything through ,.....

some of them put the info on a mini chip thingy .....some can go straight into the computer via the every handy USB cord......

now they also make that hand held scanner thingy ....that I just HAD to have about a year or so ago ....spent $100 on the largest one, ( so a regular sized piece of paper could be scanned straight down .....) ....

it's tricky to get the hang of smoothly passing the "wand" over whatever you're scanning ....but for some things ....its about teh only thing you can use .....and it puts it on a mini chip thingy .....

quality ...eh not bad, not great, but better than nothing, which in some cases .....is about the best you can hope for ......

might have used it more, had I not left it in Michigan for the entire summer .....sigh .....

but yah ......I am really interested in a pass through scanner ......

salleh
01-11-13, 01:53 AM
Well I couldn't stand it .....and bought 3 Visioneer pass through scanners, for less than $30 on ebay ......

one for me, one for Janet ...and an extry one ......

I can get the updated drivers on the internet ......and the reviews were pretty good .....

at 10 bucks apiece ......I thought I'd take a chance .....

oh boy a new toy !

ImKitty
01-11-13, 04:20 PM
I have a Neat Receipts scanner and it is good if you do financials for your own business or company. Apparently the scans are tamper proof and in Canada the government accepts the digital copies for audit without the paper backup. I spent about 250 dollars on mine. Used it for two days. If I could stop the procrastination, it would be a fantastic organizational tool.

I thought this tool would be THE best thing that ever happened to my office, but as with most repugnant and mundane tasks, my ADD gets in the way of actually following through.

dvdnvwls
01-15-13, 04:17 AM
If you don't absolutely need the specialized features provided with it, then don't get a niche product that comes with special software. Instead, get a famous-name normal model that lets you use normal software.

That way, if your operating system changes, or somebody comes out with better software that you can't use because you have one of these "special" scanners, or the company that sells these units goes out of business, you'll still be OK.

DevoutKitten
02-14-13, 01:53 PM
I am glad that I stumbled upon this post. I have heard good and bad reviews on this product. I own my own business, and I have a lot of papers and receipts the need filed. I think I will go with the one that salleh decided to go with, and try to figure out my own system of filing maybe?

Jake the Dog
03-17-13, 10:16 AM
I heard many of the same criticisms about NeatDesk and decided not to buy, but couldn't let go of the thought if having a "paperless" desk. So I bought "ScanSnap" by the ScanSnap by Fujitsu, and I have to say, I really love the thing. Easy to use, portable, and fast--I was able to get rid of 2 file cabinet drawers of old papers (set aside for "someday", of course) in a little less than a half-hour.

The only drawback to this product is the possibility of hyper focus, where you spend hours scanning papers that really could just be tossed out--it definitely has the potential to become a procrastination enabler. But it does do what it says it does, and my home office is already much, much less cluttered.

dvdnvwls
03-17-13, 11:34 AM
For anybody using a scanner to reduce their load of paper:

Back up your computer!!

All hard drives fail - it's only a question of when. Home & office hard drives are manufactured as cheap as possible. When your disk goes bad, if you don't have a backup, all your information is gone forever. For information that it would be a disaster to lose, having two backups is even better. For myself, anything really truly important I would say keep the paper.