View Full Version : Being at peace though physical activivty

Seaweed603
01-04-13, 04:12 PM
I am at complete peace when I am doing martial arts. My head is clear, no distractions, nothing. Does anyone else feel like that during sports.

midnightstar
01-04-13, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately not, sports tend to make my anxiety mess around because of the whole being around other people thing :faint:

Sandy4957
01-04-13, 06:37 PM
Yes. Horseback riding does that for me. I think that a piece of it is that your brain has to be engaged watching for potential "horse eating" objects, or mapping escape routes for yourself should the horse suddenly spook and pin you in an enclosed space, etc. So the usual "noise" quiets down and it's just you and the horse.

Footsore Ramble
01-04-13, 07:57 PM
I was going to say, 'yes, that's how it is for me too', but then I thought about it and I realized that it's not exactly how it is for me. My mind isn't clear, exactly; it's just that physical activity seems to free my train of thought from anxiety, and that makes all of the random little thoughts that pop into my head less distracting. I like running and riding my bicycle because they give me large chunks of time where I can let my thoughts meander where they will, without worrying about focusing.

APSJ
01-04-13, 08:11 PM
I definitely feel less anxious and more 'at peace' when I run, but I can't say I'm completely at peace....more that the exertion allows me to process all the stressors in a more manageable manner, without being overwhelmed....

ezridax
01-04-13, 08:46 PM
I was going to say, 'yes, that's how it is for me too', but then I thought about it and I realized that it's not exactly how it is for me. My mind isn't clear, exactly; it's just that physical activity seems to free my train of thought from anxiety, and that makes all of the random little thoughts that pop into my head less distracting. I like running and riding my bicycle because they give me large chunks of time where I can let my thoughts meander where they will, without worrying about focusing.

This is how my DH says it is for him. Like he doesn't mind driving long distances when we travel, because he's free to just let his mind wander.

I, on the other hand, hate driving long distances because if I let my mind wander to anything other than driving (which is really boring), the car starts veering really fast.

Bluerose
01-10-13, 09:18 PM
Not into sport or exercise. Taking off and walking alone does it for me.

meadd823
01-13-13, 07:22 AM
Moving clears my mind - it does not matter if I am moving or in a vehicle doing the moving for me. Some of my best writing occurred when on an air plane!

GeordieDave
01-13-13, 07:55 AM
Yup. I used to play a lot of football and do karate. It's not that it clears my mind... It just keeps my mind busy thinking about the sport really.

However, first I torn my cartilage, out for about 1 year, had key hole surgery. Played sport for 6 months then I torn my ACL(Anterior cruciate ligament). So I have been out for another 6 months. Probably need to wait another 2/3(i hope) to get reconstructive surgery on my knee. Then 6/7 months therapy.

So I have not has much luck to play any sport to keep my kind clear and it's killing me! Making me depressed at the moment.

immabum
04-08-13, 01:45 AM
I loved Jiu jitsu/mma until time became prohibitive (nothing focuses you like free rolling tho!) I'm thinking about trying meditation/yoga now -but I'm not sure I have the patience to read through a whole book on it. Any pointers from the yoga/meditation people on either a really short book or video/youtube series they found helpful? Thanks!

sarek
04-08-13, 02:37 AM
Moving clears my mind - it does not matter if I am moving or in a vehicle doing the moving for me. Some of my best writing occurred when on an air plane!

Thats right, moving and traveling does it for me too. Thats another reason why I've been trying to pick up a light walking regimen.

I absolutely hate to wait though. Thats a disaster especially when flying and having to spend so much dead time stuck on the ground or waiting in line.
It was also a downside back when I was playing badminton because there are quite a few dead moments in the game when people have to fetch shuttles.

stef
04-08-13, 03:42 AM
walking sometimes, but it makes me think about more and more things rather than clearing my mind!

Often in band though, my mind becomes completely clear (although I zone out a lot when we're NOT playing)

someothertime
04-08-13, 03:47 AM
Momentum + frequent decisions + endorphins + excitement

Total cure. Still self focussed. But zero indecision. There are the odd days where it's not so exciting and the benefits are less pronounced...

I think before modern treatment the ones who managed to find a balanced life were either laborers or artists... With very tolerant partners!

someothertime
04-08-13, 03:48 AM
Oopsy...duplicate

crowash
04-08-13, 05:28 AM
Before meds, daily exercise was essential to stop me going crazy... A few hours on a mountain bike, with nothing to worry about but staying upright and making the next hill is absolutely the most peaceful I can be.