View Full Version : Anyone have experience with stimulant tolerance while being on lithium?

adelynsmommy
01-05-13, 02:11 PM
I'm convinced that my lithium is counter-productive to my concerta and ritalin because my tolerance seems soo high to me.

The thing is, I'm not even BP (sorry for posting here!) And I'm not even sure that lithium is useful for me...so I'm looking for reasons to broach this subject with my psych, who doubts my ADHD and who isn't really cooperative.

Basically I'm looking for someone who has been on stimulants while being on and then off mood stabilizers - did you notice any difference in tolerance?

Sorry for the confusing post!

sarahsweets
01-07-13, 07:04 AM
Why would your doctor put you on lithium with no bipolar diagnosis?

adelynsmommy
01-07-13, 10:47 AM
To augment ADs

Lightning
01-07-13, 11:20 AM
If I was ADHD only, I'd never take lithium, ever.

saturday
01-07-13, 03:27 PM
Lithium is a hard core drug. It has way too many side effects to make it worth useing just to augment your other stuff, in my opinion. I would get a second opinion, or just see a different doc all together.

Raye
01-08-13, 05:31 AM
Hi,

I'm surprised your doc is even treating your ADHD when most docs ( not all) , IMO, want to get the main diagnoses under control first (bi polar, depression, etc) and sadly ADHD takes the back burner. For at least it did for me. I saw 3 pdocs who basically refused ADHD treatment until my hard to treat depression was under control with Lamictal ( a mood stabilizer).

Once I was feeling better with the depression, I was then treated for ADHD.

I personally don't have anything positive to say when it comes to stims- although i know they help many people, they just don't work for me.

I would talk to your doc and let him/her know that the lithium is counter productive.

sarahsweets
01-08-13, 06:49 AM
I would be wary of any doctor that uses mood stabilizers to balance anything out for a condition you might not have.