View Full Version : Autism The New Neuro Typical.

chavvy132
01-06-13, 07:36 AM
I would like to say i'm pretty confident i'm not mad so here goes....... Basically, i believe that Autism is the next stage in evolution. At the moment we have a lot of High Functioning Autism (AD(H)D Aspergers). I believe if the population stays the same there will be less and less High Functioning Autism (AD(H)D Aspergers) and more Autism to Low Functioning Autism. If the population increases then this will be exasperated. If the population decreases to a realistic level then High Functioning Autism (AD(H)D Aspergers) may start to cede and return to today's or yesteryear's Neuro Typical.

Subtract81
01-06-13, 07:45 AM
I like this outside the box thinking, with the changes in social environment this "evolution" must be occurring the question is how and why, do you have any statistics to back this up? Developed vs 3rd world countries or alternative societies, and autism rates could be interesting reading...

chavvy132
01-06-13, 07:57 AM
Its my understanding of autism coupled with my own personal opinion, although there is always the possibility of being wrong, i feel its worthy of being investigated, also i believe i'm right. It could even be something (may be) as simple as the more estrogen in the water, origionating from womens urine then entering our water systems, the more Autism. I do like the suggested issue with chromosome 16 which is possibly the gene that makes one autistic, but thats just a personal view.

chavvy132
01-06-13, 11:33 AM
I wonder if the Governments would take note of this, and what they would do if i was right?
:-)

Darksanity
05-16-13, 12:47 AM
I wonder if the Governments would take note of this, and what they would do if i was right?
:-)
Eugenics? :rolleyes:

Your theory is plausible to some extend... Except there is not much of evolution/natural selection anymore. There's only sexual selection left.

But there's definitely a growing wide-range of obscure chemicals with potential hormonal effects in our environment like BPA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A#Health_effects).

Fraser_0762
05-16-13, 02:04 AM
I'm never drinking water again....

Thanks. :(

Fraser_0762
05-16-13, 02:07 AM
Actually, I believe the combination of Sodium Fluoride and Lithium build up in the water supply will cause people considerable damage in the future.

Fortune
05-16-13, 02:15 AM
I almost hate to do this, but

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26775130.jpg

Fraser_0762
05-16-13, 02:18 AM
We'll evolve again when a big comet or asteroid strikes us again and brings life on Earth to the brink of extinction.

So we have nothing to worry about.

Fortune
05-16-13, 02:22 AM
Oh, we're evolving all the time. I just don't think there is such a thing as a "next step."

Punctuated equilibrium seems to be related to crisis moments.

Fraser_0762
05-16-13, 02:32 AM
My take on our current course of evolution.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/23ll99h.jpg

fracturedstory
05-16-13, 03:21 AM
The so called "Internet disorder": ADHD.

Social network narcissism: High functioning autism.

Of course there's more to it than that. I'm not saying these things cause ADHD or autism but these people are being changed into people with traits that fit into those disorders.

So via epigentics autism and ADHD could soon become the norm.

And we're all going to have hyper children with mottled teeth. And minty fresh breath.

atSWIMtooboreds
05-16-13, 04:10 AM
What makes you think any of these conditions are selected for? How frequently do people with them breed as opposed to neurotypicals?

fracturedstory
05-17-13, 01:22 AM
*Epigenetics.

Spell properly you manic piece of sh....

Darksanity
05-17-13, 01:27 AM
What makes you think any of these conditions are selected for? How frequently do people with them breed as opposed to neurotypicals?
Exactly. There's no selection in favour of autism. MAYBE ADHD i.e. impulsion to make more babies without thinking of consequences lol.

There's a pretty decent theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_vs._farmer_hypothesis) about how ADHD may have had an advantage in the past.

I also believe that modern society (not just Internet) may prime many kids into developing pseudo-ADHD. Seriously though we are bombarded daily with advertisements, noise, traffic, along with the endless amount of relatively cheap and available distractions like Internet, TV, drugs, video games, etc. Kids nowadays are in a chronic state of sensory overload. Then we expect them to sit in class and listen quietly to an awfully boring lecture.

fracturedstory
05-17-13, 01:30 AM
They could use less protection. They could just have one night stands more.

Even I have had the sex. Much of it.

My theory is that the companies that control pretty much everything we do (mostly social networking and online shopping and the news media) are actually projecting their economic model onto society, so it's bleeding into everyday society.

The way people like Zuckerburg and Jobs think is very rigid, brilliant for economics but this way of thinking can turn emotional beings partly like that too. You would have to be blind to not see that how little people seemed to care about the feelings of others online. My generation is even becoming more selfish offline but they're still social enough for this to not be a problem. Or perhaps that is a problem now and we've just not noticed it. The next generation that has been raised on digital technology could be even worse. Or better.

Paranoid? Delusional? I think not.

Just read Against the Machine so I don't have to elaborate.

Darksanity
05-17-13, 01:56 AM
My theory is that the companies that control pretty much everything we do (mostly social networking and online shopping and the news media) are actually projecting their economic model onto society, so it's bleeding into everyday society.
That's not a theory it's nonsense gibberish. :doh:

You mean like ZOMG EVIL COROPORATIONS HAVES MAGIC POWERS of MINDCONTROL!!!1 :rolleyes:

eats_mice
05-17-13, 09:44 AM
I guess we're only a few generations from becoming Vulcans.

Jason954
07-26-13, 02:13 AM
The problem with the theory is that the genes that express themselves as autism and ADHD seem to be pretty mendelian.

Just to give the acid-test example, read a bit about the STAGGERING rate of overt autism among children whose parents are BOTH Aspie+ADD supra-genius college professors. By some accounts, it's almost dead-even 50/50 odds. Few would even try to argue the odds are less than 1 in 4. Now look at the statistics for scenarios where you have one parent who's an Aspie+ADD nerd, and one parent who's a slightly-spacey artist. They're almost as sobering.

The net outcome is that the combination of high intelligence, Aspergers, and ADHD increases the likelihood of THAT INDIVIDUAL mating & having kids (if only by accident or blind drunken luck)... but if they have grandkids someday, it'll almost be due to blind, random luck and/or accident, because their kids will be LESS likely to pull off the same feat. And if they mate with someone like them, not only are their kids more likely to be autistic, but if they lose the spin at the roulette wheel, their own careers and marriage will probably be neutralized and destroyed as well.

Add in a certain percentage of their kids being same-sex attracted, and it's almost impossible for our hypothetical Aspie+ADD x 2 couple to have enough kids to maintain the genetic status quo & sustain growth from generation to generation, let alone select for the AS+ADD combo. Statistically, they'd need to have at least 2 kids, and at least half would need to have 3... but at least one of those 3 children is almost guaranteed to be autistic. If the autistic child is #1, there probably won't BE child #2 and/or 3. So, the other Aspie+ADDx2 couples would have to have even more kids to pick up the slack and maintain the ~2.25-2.5 child average.

It's almost like evolution has cleverly devised its own circuit breakers to limit the reproduction of AS/ADHD genes more than Mendelian inheritance would otherwise dictate. I personally think that it explains half the story of what happened to the Neanderthals(*). They WERE a society of engineers and creative people who sucked at getting mundane, boring things done, and would have been sitting ducks for an organized army of neurotypicals over the long term.

It's politically incorrect to say, but we probably owe the existence of our gene pool to the high likelihood that the humans invading Europe from sub-Saharan Africa probably thought blonde Neanderthal women were hot. It's the elephant in the room that's too taboo for any researcher in America to even whisper about, but will probably be taken for granted someday.

(*)The other half of the story? RH factor. Pure Neanderthals were RH-. Pure homo sapiens were overwhelmingly (if not 100%) RH+. Women who are RH- are significantly more likely to die in childbirth if their baby is RH+. If more and more Neanderthal men were RH+ hybrids, it doesn't take a statistician to figure out that RH- Neanderthal women would be at a huge fecundity disadvantage compared to RH+ hybrid women (RH+ women don't have problems with RH- babies... it's only RH- women who have problems with RH+ babies). Over the past ~50 years, the ratio of RH- to RH+ has slowly shifted away from being overwhelmingly lopsided in favor of RH+, mostly due to medical care that now enables RH- women to survive childbirths that would have killed them 100 years ago & allows them to have more kids.

fracturedstory
07-26-13, 07:38 AM
That's not a theory it's nonsense gibberish. :doh:

You mean like ZOMG EVIL COROPORATIONS HAVES MAGIC POWERS of MINDCONTROL!!!1 :rolleyes:
It's actually not that far fetched. They don't need mind control because most people do pretty much everything online. It's easy to control the masses this way. I could even develop a model of manipulation this way.

The media has been doing it for generations. And if you can't see that then you're blind and ignorant and God help you because you're the person they want to fool.

And before mods come in and give me a warning someone pretty much offended me. I'm pretty sure there's a rule against that.