View Full Version : klonopin dilemma, Need sleep.

PitbullyGirly
01-06-13, 07:05 PM
I was diagnosed with bipolar by many different doctors throughout my life. So because of this I was always put on klonopin 4mg daily along with bottles of other medicines. Long story short an old doc had me on so many medications I didn't even know my name. Id have pictures on my phone I didn't even remember taking etc. Complete zombie.

After realizing my life had been passing me by while I sat in the house doped up on medicine. i refused to go back to the doctor and stopped every medication cold turkey.

I thought I was going to die coming off them. I couldn't sleep. My muscles were spasming. I laid on the floor curled in a ball for weeks crying....Finally Finally...The withdrawals stopped and I could get off the floor.

I was ok without medicine, but slowly but surely. I stopped leaving my house. The anxiety was back, plus I was so frustrated simple every day tasks I was snapping at everyone all the time. (even people I didn't know). MOST OF ALL I hadn't slept a solid 8 hours in months!! Id stay awake for two days then fall asleep from exhaustion for a couple hours.

Called my primary care. He wrote me klonopin for a month and told me to get to a psych doc asap. As soon as i took the klonopin. I slept. Got all my appointments in order. New doc tells me its not bipolar at all. Its ADD depression and anxiety.

I am now on celexa and adderall. Works great. No anxiety during the day. But I still can't sleep. As soon as my head hits the pillow my mind races! even when I take breaks from the adderall NO SLEEP. Saw the dr last week he put me prazosin for sleep. which does nothing. Will I ever sleep without klonopin again?!?! I really really really do not want to start taking it again because if I had to come off them for whatever reason. I do not ever want to go through that horrible withdrawal ever again.

Also I refuse to take certain medications that make me gain weight. I put on just about a hundred pounds because of meds. I finally after almost a year of dieting got 35 pounds off and I'm actually starting to feel better the weight isn't causing so much stress on my body.

Any thoughts on how I can get some sleep?!

Raye
01-07-13, 09:38 AM
I don't usually encourage this, but benzodiazepines (klonopin, xanax, valium, etc) IMO work wonders for sleep. I also have had the klonopin withdrawal.

Talk to your doc about a safe plan for the klonopin.

sarahsweets
01-07-13, 09:50 AM
Benzos can be abused and dangerous yes, but not sleeping can be just as dangerous.

425runner
01-20-13, 07:03 PM
You said you stopped all medications cold turkey so why do you blame Klonopin as the source of your withhdrawal? Yes, it was most likely part of it but it's not by any means an evil drug!! I've been taking 0.5mg for two years on/off to help me sleep. I've tried all the natural remedies including lemon balm, sleepytime tea, l-theanine, ashwagandha, you name it....but a small dose of Klonopin works the best and I wake up refreshed and ready to face the day.

I'd ask your doctor for a prescription for Klonopin 0.5mg twice a day as needed.