View Full Version : How accurate is this?

fluffpuffgerbil
01-07-13, 04:56 AM
Sorry, just a quick question for those dxd with Aspergers/HFA/or some other ASD.

I came across this symptom list and was just wondering how accurate it is towards those who are on the autism spectrum: http://www.rogernmeyer.com/adult_acts_and_consequences_as_characteristics.htm l

I mean, obviously you're not going to have all of these at once, but do they sound pretty legitimate?

SweetCode
01-07-13, 05:10 AM
seems accurate , the big problem with the symptoms of AS and ADD/ADHD is that most of them are a little subjective and when both conditions are present many of them cancel or overlap each other , since according to my friends,parents and previous coworkers I was just strange... only after I stopped seeing a neurologist and started with a pdoc and working as a consultant that "being strange" was no longer an acceptable thing and then I told the pdoc about it and about how I interacted with the world that I was "tested" (sorry, I don't know the right word in english for this test, I guess it is evaluation...) , even I having some of the listed traits in a really strong way he said that I wasn't an aspie but that I had something wrong in the socialization [technical psychological term here]) basically a fancy word for a borderline aspie (which is already a term for borderline autism [correct?] ).

What I trying to say is: This kind of list is just a reference , the only use of them is to check if you believe that you have some of the listed traits in a way that is damaging your life to decide if it's worth to see a doctor.

It is interesting to note that my brother is studying to be a physics researcher and is a little more in the stereotype of the aspie than I am but I scored higher in the online AQ tests (we both got high scores meaning that we should check with a doctor) and he was checked by the same neurologist that gave my first Dx as ADHD and the doctor told that he was a NT , so stereotypes don't count at all , online tests helps but the doctor evaluation (I will guess that this is the right term..) is the only thing that can really answer.

Fortune
01-07-13, 06:27 AM
A lot of them are accurate for me. I think some of them are misunderstood, but that's to be expected.

I want to go over it in more depth, but I am fairly tired right now.

fluffpuffgerbil
01-07-13, 10:06 PM
Alright, thanks~

I was just wondering how much of it is stereotyped and how much of it is accurate. I share a lot of the symptoms, but at this point, I'm thinking it's more ADD, since I'm really confused on where the line's drawn between HFA and AD(H)D. Even if I do have some aspie traits, it doesn't bug me enough to do anything about it, unlike the ADD symptoms which hopefully I'll be getting tested for soon.

Fortune
01-07-13, 10:21 PM
I don't think the line between autism and ADHD is really all that confusing, although when I first came here I thought that ADHD would explain all my autistic traits. As it turns out, ADHD very much did not explain things.

However, of the two, ADHD is the most treatable.

fluffpuffgerbil
01-07-13, 10:24 PM
Hmm... I think the social aspect is the biggest difference maybe, but I know an aspie and he seems pretty extroverted, not shy about talking to everyone.

Perhaps I just need it better cleared up. *Hmmm*

I have traits of both I think, but well, I'll get things sorted out eventually, I was just curious about that characteristic list and how accurate or stereotyped it was.

Fortune
01-07-13, 10:36 PM
I would say that the majority of traits are at least somewhat accurate, and only a few are phrased as stereotypical and/or more negatively than they need to be.

I'd say go with what you think seems most appropriate and necessary.

Extraversion does happen in autistic people. Being socially impaired does not automatically mean not wanting to be around people. For many, that's the case, more many others, it is not. I'm happier the more time I spend alone, but I am not antisocial nor do I hate people as a category. My interests encouraged me to socialize more because I needed more than one person to enjoy them.

Flia
01-08-13, 09:31 AM
They are all traits that MAY appear. Most of us with ASD have a few of them, but I don't think anyone has them all.
Age is a crucial factor (learning to disguise traits), and sometimes gender. A lot of women internalize the tantrums and get depressed or anxious instead.

Lunacie
01-08-13, 11:09 AM
I don't think the line between autism and ADHD is really all that confusing, although when I first came here I thought that ADHD would explain all my autistic traits. As it turns out, ADHD very much did not explain things.

However, of the two, ADHD is the most treatable.

I was so happy to finally have a reason for my quirkyness . . . ADHD.

But after that first burst of joy in learning that "I am not alone"

I started to see all the things that ADHD didn't quite explain.

So I finally got out the copy of the results from the Connor's test I took

about 4 years ago . . . and there are also indications of PDD-NOS.

Also some ODD - you'd think someone my age would have outgrown that. :rolleyes:

fluffpuffgerbil
01-08-13, 08:47 PM
Heh, do people grow out of ODD? I definitely don't relate to ODD, but I thought it was just one of those things you'd have chronically. (I actually don't know much about anything relating to ODD. >,> So I might be wrong)

And thanks for all the answers everyone!
There's a lot of things on that list I definitely can relate to. I'd go through it a little more closely if I could concentrate on it long enough. xD

fracturedstory
01-09-13, 11:46 AM
They're called meltdowns not tantrums. A tantrum is kicking up a fuss when you want to get your own way, a meltdown is a loss of emotional control.

I haven't grown out of O.D.D yet, but I still feel like I'm 13.

The list is pretty accurate too. I don't know about the distracted part because people with autism (and no ADHD) just focus on what they care about and can have intense focus on it and won't hear a bomb exploding in the background. They are glued to it. In a trance so to speak. I don't think it's like in ADHD where we are stimulated by everything.

fluffpuffgerbil
01-09-13, 04:46 PM
I definitely have meltdowns. Sometimes a couple times a week.

Hmm... I think I definitely have an easier time focusing on something I'm interested in(using school as an example--when we're talking about genetics. Since I breed geckos, I'm interested in that) as opposed to something I'm not interested in(not sure how I'm passing history... I guess luck is on my side and I'm a really really good guesser).
But generally, no matter what I'm doing I have to do 20 other things at the same time(a bit of an exaggeration there...) otherwise I get bored and lose focus.

Fortune
01-09-13, 04:51 PM
ADHD also means that it's easier to focus on something you're interested in.

fluffpuffgerbil
01-10-13, 03:17 AM
Yep, I'm aware of that. It's definitely LOADS easier to pay attention to something I'm interested in. If I'm not even slightly interested in something, my attention span, on a 1-10 scale is probably a 1-2. Rarely does anything have my focus at a 10/10.