View Full Version : Buspar as alternative for stimulant anxiety

Mountainman1126
01-07-13, 09:10 PM
Hi i am currently on focalin for add and i find that anxiety/wanting to crawl out of my skin can be a side effect. I was given buspar a long time ago for anxiety but never took it for my extreme aversion to anything serotonin. I have taken ssri's in the past and they definantly make add symptoms much worse. Anhedonia, lack of energy, cognative disfunction, apathy, ect. I think ssris, even for severe depression, are over rated. Anyways I definantly will not take a benzodiazapine, and i am not depressed but i know that buspar is supposed to be a benzo alternative. I am also away though, that buspar acts by increasing serotonin, though to a lesser extent than ssri. Has anyone taken buspar with a stimulant for anxiety? Or can anyone compare buspar with an ssri. Any help would be appreciated. I'm starting school and I don't want anything to interfere further with my cognative functions. Thank you

Twiggy
01-07-13, 09:29 PM
It's supposedly a gentle medication for anxiety with no discontinuation syndrome.

Update us how it goes for you.

I tried Citalopram for a combo of slight Depression and Anxiety, but I had to stop within 5 days from side effects.
I'm curious about Buspar. I might try it out some day.

lsm-add
01-22-13, 09:46 PM
I have GAD and take Buspar 15mg 2x's day. It helps me. I heard a lot of negative talk about it but it's been great for me.

lsm-add
01-22-13, 09:47 PM
Also, it takes about 2 weeks to build up and notice a difference.