View Full Version : Paper towels are your friend.

Amtram
01-08-13, 07:26 PM
I had to overcome my aversion to wastefulness and put it in perspective with my aversion to housecleaning. Baby steps.

A lot of times, places around the house don't get cleaned because by the time I get around to them, they're intimidatingly big jobs. . .vicious circle, you know the routine. One of the worst is the bathroom, especially if people come over. They can forgive a lot of mess, but if the bathroom's particularly gross, you can just see it in their faces.

So I keep paper towels in the bathroom. I am still training the kids and the hubby to do this, but since I'm home all the time, it does get done frequently. I wash my hands and dry them with paper towels. I use the damp paper towel to wipe down the mirror, the water that splashed on the sink, and then if it's not gross, the outside of the toilet. Something different every time. That way, the bathroom's reasonably presentable on short notice, and less of a gargantuan chore when I do a thorough job.

I keep them in the laundry room, too, use some of the water from the washer to get them damp, wipe up spilled detergent and use it to clean up the surfaces of the machines.

Just having these little things a bit nicer takes off a lot of stress.

Fortune
01-08-13, 07:41 PM
I love paper towels for all kinds of things that make it easier to reduce messes and clutter. I live with people who treat them like they're precious metals, though, and I am not even sure what they think they should be used for because they never want them used.

ezridax
01-08-13, 07:42 PM
What a great idea! I often do this in the bathroom: take the handtowel once it gets too damp and use it to wipe down the faucet and sink and counter, then I put out a new handtowel. I haven't been able to bring myself to clean the toilet seat this way though.

I don't like waste either but sometimes paper towels are a godsend.

Spacemaster
01-08-13, 09:54 PM
I also grab big wads of napkins at fast food places, and use them all over the house. (since I rarely use napkins to actually wipe my hands/face!)

I used to be guilty of not using paper towels much. I don't know why, I guess I was being super cheap, and part of it, was that I *knew* that once I used them up, it would take me forever to get around to buying some more.

mrs. dobbs
01-09-13, 05:02 AM
I've also had an aversion to the wastefulness of paper towels. I grew up practically grabbing one paper towel and trailing the entire roll behind me to clean up one small thing. I have family members that leave multiple clusters of barely used paper towels everywhere. SO when I grew up, I decided not to use them. I have all these nice microfiber rags and old (clean) socks. THAT I AM ALSO RELUCTANT TO USE. You know why? Washing them uses too much water!! WTH.

hanikamiya
01-09-13, 05:03 AM
... we mainly use them to clean up cat barf. >>;

For the things amtram does I have a sponge in the bathroom and when I feel I have a minute or so I put some soap or detergent on it an clean a bit. like i brush my teeth and then give the sink a quick wipe with the sponge and it smells and looks okay.

stef
01-09-13, 07:56 AM
I use them a lot in the kitchen (I really try not to waste them though!)

for the bathroom, I accidently bought some cotton makeup remover pads, one side is "exfoliating" so not so great for eye makeup removal... they actually work really well to quickly clean the sink or the top of this plastic storage thing. (someday,I will get a nice cabinet and clothes hampers that match...)

Fuzzy12
01-09-13, 09:22 AM
I love paper towels!! My parents always complain about the wastefulness but they make my life so much easier.

I'm a big fan of most disposable cleaning items. Sorry, environment. :o

They help hugely with my OCD-ish tendencies as well. I struggle keeping cleaning utensils in the house once I deem them as dirty (which is why I don't use a mop. Just use an old kitchen towel, which I can throw after cleaning, every once in a while).

mrs. dobbs
01-09-13, 09:36 AM
Fuzzy get yourself a Swiffer, lol

Fuzzy12
01-09-13, 10:15 AM
Fuzzy get yourself a Swiffer, lol

What's that???

SquarePeg
01-09-13, 10:18 AM
I used baby wipes for loads of things, they really get the dirt off. I would never use them on a baby though, having seen how strong the cleaning agent is!!

Once itīs a little grubby and ready for the bin, I wipe my shoes with it. I feel itīs a waste using a fresh one just for shoes.

They are great for deep cleaning wooden surfaces.

I also have a hand held steam cleaner as I am not one for cleaning the skirting, and little nooks and crannies on a regular basis.

Spacemaster
01-09-13, 10:26 AM
yes, baby wipes!

I had this package left over from pre-potty training, and I ended up using them for everything! Much cheaper that Lysol or Chlorox wipes, and without all the nasty chemicals. I don't believe in bleaching every surface of the house, that can't be healthy.

I buy the unscented baby wipes. They're still good on your potty trained babies, for wiping peanut butter faces and hands!

I had to use them on my poor kitty when he had some nasty liquid poo.

We have no choice but to build up an immune system in this messy little apartment! :rolleyes:

salleh
01-09-13, 11:25 AM
if you like papaer towels ....and I am a big ole fan of them ....do buy VIVA ......they're about the same price as all the standard brands ...and believe me they really are the best ......

they are soft enough to use as a kleenex in case of nothing else around .....you can rip them in half then take them apart as in turning them into 1 ply instead of 2 ply ......

I discovered them about 30 years ago while visiting a friends house, as I was using one, I asked her what kind they were....she had no idea, so we waited until the roll was empty and the name was one th core .....they has since stopped doing that, and one of these days I am gonna write them and tell them they should start up that again .....

not only are they soft as cloth, but they are also very strong ......I have used them for polishing everything from silver to watches to furniture ......

I use them to take finish off old furniture too .....

I keep slightly used ones ....( cause I use them as napkins at meals) ....in a pretty brass buckity thing ....and then they're good for wiping up the floor, or in my furniture refinishing, or polishing ....or any of the other myriad "big" tasks I use them for .....

there are not a lot of paper towels that you can re-use ! .....

and they're great for kitchen and bathroom cleaning ......

I stock up when they're on sale .....and nowdays it seems that all you can get are the ones that are much narrower than a regular paper towel .....so they go quite a long way .......

( I own no stock in the company, but I wish I did !) .......

try out a roll, I betcha you'll switch .....

mrs. dobbs
01-09-13, 11:26 AM
What's that???

http://swiffer-coupons.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/swiffer_coupons_1.jpg

Amtram
01-09-13, 01:31 PM
Funny, with the Swiffer is where I use washable stuff. When washcloths become raggedy, I save them for cleaning. The swiffer pads are really expensive, and I don't think they do a very good job. Instead, I fill a bucket with water and floor cleaner (usually lysol, sometimes just white vinegar or ammonia, depending on the floor and whether I can open the windows) and plunk the washcloth into the water. I wash some floor, take off the dirty rag, and replace it with a new one. It's better for scrubbing, way cheaper, and same advantage of the swiffer - you're not putting a mop back into dirty water and just spreading the dirt around on the floor.

Lunacie
01-09-13, 01:40 PM
Funny, with the Swiffer is where I use washable stuff. When washcloths become raggedy, I save them for cleaning. The swiffer pads are really expensive, and I don't think they do a very good job. Instead, I fill a bucket with water and floor cleaner (usually lysol, sometimes just white vinegar or ammonia, depending on the floor and whether I can open the windows) and plunk the washcloth into the water. I wash some floor, take off the dirty rag, and replace it with a new one. It's better for scrubbing, way cheaper, and same advantage of the swiffer - you're not putting a mop back into dirty water and just spreading the dirt around on the floor.

Me too.

I also use the swiffer to reach the ceiling fan to dust the blades.
I used to make my hubby get out the ladder, climb up and remove the
blades, and I would wash them. No more hubby so I just dust 'em.

ezridax
01-09-13, 02:22 PM

I will fill a bowl with baking soda, vinegar, and water (sometimes a little salt), mix it all together and use some old rags for scrubbing the floors. I don't like using anything real chemically when I'm using real rags (as opposed to something disposable like paper towels) because I remember my mom washing the icky washrags with the bath towels and the towels always smelled like chemicals :eek:

Sandy4957
01-09-13, 02:51 PM
Girlfriend, you are totally onto something. I'm pretty waste-avoidant. but this is important. It makes our lives manageable, so **** it. Plant a tree or two as recompense. But use the paper towels (particularly the ones where you can choose a size) freely...

Lunacie
01-09-13, 03:18 PM
I will fill a bowl with baking soda, vinegar, and water (sometimes a little salt), mix it all together and use some old rags for scrubbing the floors. I don't like using anything real chemically when I'm using real rags (as opposed to something disposable like paper towels) because I remember my mom washing the icky washrags with the bath towels and the towels always smelled like chemicals :eek:

Euwww! I don't use chemical cleaners, mostly just vinegar and baking soda.

ezridax
01-09-13, 03:55 PM
Euwww! I don't use chemical cleaners, mostly just vinegar and baking soda.

I use them very sparingly. Windex for the windows, Clorox (occasionally) in the toilet, and if anything else requires a stronger cleaner (like vomit), I opt for Lysol wipes.

Lunacie
01-09-13, 05:09 PM
I use them very sparingly. Windex for the windows, Clorox (occasionally) in the toilet, and if anything else requires a stronger cleaner (like vomit), I opt for Lysol wipes.

I spray vinegar and water on windows.

Also in the toilet. Clorox occasionally.

Vinegar and baking soda for the drains or scrubbing the tub or sink.

Baking soda and a wet sponge for the stove top or oven.

Lysol and other chemical cleaners make me very sick.

I'm very lucky to have a boss who works with me to find cleaners I can use.

mrs. dobbs
01-10-13, 03:08 AM
A pile of baking soda and my finger works really well on the glass top stove.

danelady
01-10-13, 03:30 AM
If they weren' t dirty just wet,Mom usta hang the paper towels up to dry and reuse them.

Amtram
01-10-13, 10:15 AM
That would defeat the purpose in the way I use them. . .if it can be cleaned by something reusable, I use rags.

danelady
01-10-13, 12:30 PM
Hahaha! I wasn't implying my mom was a sensible person, lol!
A lot of stuff she did made me cock my head to one side!

That would defeat the purpose in the way I use them. . .if it can be cleaned by something reusable, I use rags.

Amtram
01-10-13, 01:03 PM
Back when we were kids, though, commercials showed women how they could re-use paper towels, and I recall my mom hanging on to some pretty disgusting disposable wipes, too. It's not entirely their fault!

JanelleC
01-24-13, 01:26 PM
not paper towels, but I've discovered something else just as wonderful.. those things you drop in your toilet tank that keeps it clean for 4 months. they are cheap, like $1.50 for a 2 pack.... and they WORK!! Other things to invest in: store brand Lysol wipes (keep one canister in each bathroom.) cheap paper plates, and those little dixi cups. Everyone in my house likes to get a new cup for taking their meds, which means I can never find a clean cup! OR they just use what ever cup is by the sink. BLEH! Germs!!

Maybe this should be moved to the "household tips" thread...