View Full Version : Ever do a brussel sprout?

mildadhd
01-10-13, 03:44 PM
I got this craving for brussel sprouts,

that won't quite.

ezridax
01-10-13, 03:46 PM
I never had brussels sprouts as a kid. I love them now. It's like cabbage with a kick :D

mrs. dobbs
01-10-13, 03:50 PM
They smell like poot.

mildadhd
01-10-13, 03:52 PM
I never had brussels sprouts as a kid. I love them now. It's like cabbage with a kick :D

Me to!

Used to hide them in my hood.

Hard to swallow.

I had them over the holidays,

and it is not a habit I usually make.

But I'm going to hit the street today and see if I can find someone dealing them.

Craving is really strong.

Makes me nervous to try the peas.

Never could get them down either.

Used to hide them unchewed in the sides of my mouth like a squirl.

And spit them out later.

Or swallow them whole.

ezridax
01-10-13, 03:53 PM
They smell like poot.

I've never noticed that. Do you get them fresh? I usually buy mine frozen,maybe that makes a difference *shrug*

Subtract81
01-10-13, 03:55 PM
I have always had an aversion to them perhaps as people try to force feed them to me as a kid, but i will eat them to save face, but they do cause extreme flatulence.

I don't like the texture of most peas, mushy ones i find disgusting, they have to pop in my mouth, preferably with gravy, it is the food i am most fussy with.

mildadhd
01-10-13, 03:59 PM
They smell like poot.

Funny!

I ate one over the holiday and then almost ate them all.

Like chocolates.

Boiled and then fried in olive oil and a touch of salt.

Skunky.

Spacemaster
01-10-13, 04:03 PM
I was never served brussles sprouts as a kid, but I got curious one day and bought a package of frozen ones.

I love them! I love the weirdness. When I was all by myself on the couch, I'd sit there and pick the layers off of them, and eat them like that til I reached the core.

I want to buy some fresh ones, I've seen many delicious looking recipes for roasted brussels sprouts.

mrs. dobbs
01-10-13, 04:09 PM
I've never noticed that. Do you get them fresh? I usually buy mine frozen,maybe that makes a difference *shrug*

the ones my mom used to make smelled like they were exhumed from here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=749&pictureid=10759

mildadhd
01-10-13, 04:10 PM
I was never served brussles sprouts as a kid, but I got curious one day and bought a package of frozen ones.

I love them! I love the weirdness. When I was all by myself on the couch, I'd sit there and pick the layers off of them, and eat them like that til I reached the core.

I want to buy some fresh ones, I've seen many delicious looking recipes for roasted brussels sprouts.

Sounds Yummy!

Now I am REALLY craving brussel sprouts!!

mrs. dobbs
01-10-13, 04:16 PM
Wait a minute, are they really that good you guys? I haven't eaten them in over twenty years. Is it really going to happen? Are you really going to drive me to try them again? Oh, fart!

Sandy4957
01-10-13, 04:28 PM
Try this:

Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Clean the sprouts. Pour some olive oil into a bowl and drop the sprouts into it. Toss them around with your hands until they're coated with the oil. Put salt and pepper on them. Then roast them in the oven on a baking sheet until they're dark brown and caramelized on the outside. Some of the leaves will come off and crisp up like potato chips (or crisps, across the pond).

You can mix it up by using bacon fat and toss with little bits of crisp bacon, or add a little balsamic vinegar before you serve them, etc. Lemon zest or garlic are all good, too.

Yum.

mildadhd
01-10-13, 04:48 PM
Wait a minute, are they really that good you guys? I haven't eaten them in over twenty years. Is it really going to happen? Are you really going to drive me to try them again? Oh, fart!

A possible link between brussel sprouts and nicotine "functions"?

(I am not a professional, this information is new to me, posted for discussion)

Nicotinic receptors respond to nicotine as though it were acetylcholine but are insensitive to muscarine,....

-Physiology Coloring Book, Kapit/Macey/Meisami, P 30.

Acetylcholine – Acetylcholine-dominant individuals have very fast electrical circuits in the brain. These people tend to be adept at working with their senses, are highly creative and open to new ideas3. Acetylcholine deficient people who lose brain speed, may have attention deficit disorder, bipolar disorder and in extreme cases, Alzheimer’s disease. Having excessive neurotransmitter quantities is also possible and can be equally as troublesome. For example, people with excess acetylcholine cannot slow their brain thoughts down. As a result, their brains race day and night from thought to thought....

Foods that Enhance Your Brain
The following is a partial list of foods that may enhance neurotransmitters:

Dopamine: Chicken, duck, granola, low-fat cheeses, oat flakes, pork, ricotta, soy beans, turkey, walnuts, wild game, yogurt.

Acetylcholine: Almonds, artichokes, beef, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cod, salmon, tilapia, liver (chicken, turkey), oat bran, tomato paste.

GABA: Almonds, banana, broccoli, brown rice, halibut, lentils, oats, potato, walnuts, whole wheat.

Serotonin: Avocado, chicken, cottage cheese, duck, granola, oat flakes, turkey, wheat germ, wild game, yogurt.

http://bcmednet.com/brainmind/

saturday
01-10-13, 04:49 PM
Hey, if you do enough brussel sprouts you just might get lucky!

http://aromacucina.typepad.com/aroma_cucina/2010/02/get-lucky-for-valentines-day-eat-brussel-sprouts.html

mildadhd
01-10-13, 05:06 PM
Low in brussel sprouts = inattentive?

Normal in brussel sprouts = NT?

High in brussel sprouts = hyperactive?

Subtract81
01-10-13, 05:09 PM
I would say i have an excess of acetylcholine then, are you saying this means i don't have adhd? if racing thoughts are not adhd and slowing down of the brain is then i dont have adhd or have adhd C? my thoughts are always going way too fast you could say they lack a leash, i assumed this was an adhd PI trait...

IS= Inattentive sprout levels
NS=Normal sprout levels
HS=Hyperactive sprout levels

I don't eat sprouts though, this is confusing!

mildadhd
01-10-13, 05:31 PM
I would say i have an excess of acetylcholine then, are you saying this means i don't have adhd? if racing thoughts are not adhd and slowing down of the brain is then i dont have adhd or have adhd C? my thoughts are always going way too fast you could say they lack a leash, i assumed this was an adhd PI trait...

IS= Inattentive sprout levels
NS=Normal sprout levels
HS=Hyperactive sprout levels

I don't eat sprouts though, this is confusing!

The brussel sprout is a medication?

If you have high levels of acetylcholine don't take brussel sprouts?

Maybe that is why kids don't like brussel sprouts,

they are normally hyper?

I'm diagnosed inattentive.

( I think I am ADHD combined with internal hyperactivity)

There is only one way to figure this out.

Spacemaster ,

what are you officially diagnosed as,

ADHD Inattentive?
ADHD combined?
ADHD hyperactive?

mildadhd
01-10-13, 05:43 PM
I know its not like me ,

but I was just fooling around.

But I am interested in learning more about acetylcholine and ADHD.

I wonder about the nicotine connection.

Personally I don't like nicotine,

since the day I smoked a whole pack in a few hours as a kid.

Made my head feel like it was a plane crashing to the ground.

Maybe I would like nicotine now.

like I love brussel sprouts?

Better not try.

sarek
01-10-13, 05:52 PM
I absolutely hate Brussels sprouts. When I was young my parents still wanted me to at least eat two of the nasty buggers but they did not stay to check if they actually went down.

So down behind the fridge they went. To be found several weeks later when it was time for the big clean up.

ezridax
01-10-13, 06:01 PM
I know its not like me ,

but I was just fooling around.

But I am interested in learning more about acetylcholine and ADHD.

I wonder about the nicotine connection.

Personally I don't like nicotine,

since the day I smoked a whole pack in a few hours as a kid.

Made my head feel like it was a plane crashing to the ground.

Maybe I would like nicotine now.

like I love brussel sprouts?

Better not try.

:lol: You remind me of my ADHD hubby, the way his mind is always off on tangents, yet somehow it all ends up being connected...I love it :cool:

stef
01-10-13, 06:05 PM

Don't eat them if youre still nursing!!!!
the baby eats what you eat, think of the consequences!
im writing from experience here.

mildadhd
01-10-13, 06:09 PM

That is simply fascinating!

How would that work?

Where do prenatal baby farts go?

Was your child hyper prenatal, when you ate brussel sprouts?

mildadhd
01-10-13, 06:14 PM
I absolutely hate Brussels sprouts. When I was young my parents still wanted me to at least eat two of the nasty buggers but they did not stay to check if they actually went down.

So down behind the fridge they went. To be found several weeks later when it was time for the big clean up.

To Funny!

I hated monthly clean up!

That is when all the holes in the walls where discovered.

From Me and my brother fighting.

Side note I can fix the holes in walls like and expert now.

dogluver358
01-10-13, 07:32 PM
So maybe all those brussel sprouts I ate as a child caused my ADHD-C lol. j/k. But I'm confused, if my brain is so overactive and my body so physical restless as it is, I should not eat brussel sprouts? They'd make it worse?

mildadhd
01-10-13, 07:45 PM
So maybe all those brussel sprouts I ate as a child caused my ADHD-C lol. j/k. But I'm confused, if my brain is so overactive and my body so physical restless as it is, I should not eat brussel sprouts? They'd make it worse?

I am not a professional,

and haven't done the research,

but I was wondering the same question?

According to the article brussel sprouts might be good for ADD,

and opposite for hyper people.

I don't know what kind of "ADHD physiology paradoxes" are involved,

but I am going to look into further seriously in the futur.

None of this thread was really planned.

Although I have been craving brussel sprouts for real,

and I did stop taking ritalin over a week ago.

Interesting,

but I wouldn't draw any serious conclusions.

Subtract81
01-10-13, 07:58 PM
Maybe you could look up some statistics on ADHD rates in Brussels?

Spacemaster
01-10-13, 08:00 PM
I was diagnosed, but not put into any category. My doc doesn't seem to think there's a point in the "categories"

I would call myself primarily inattentive though, maybe even SCT, with quite a few mild Aspie tendencies.

Amtram
01-10-13, 08:29 PM
I happen to love brussels sprouts, and I can tell you that they are no danger to nursing infants. If you eat them, the baby will refuse to nurse. It's quite a face you get from them if you try.

mildadhd
01-10-13, 09:18 PM
I was diagnosed, but not put into any category. My doc doesn't seem to think there's a point in the "categories"

I would call myself primarily inattentive though, maybe even SCT, with quite a few mild Aspie tendencies.

Thanks,

So far inattentive like brussel sprouts.

Hyperactive don't like brussel sprouts.

Can't get much better science than this.

An yummy afrodisiac flatulent would make for an interesting first date?

mildadhd
01-10-13, 09:21 PM
I happen to love brussels sprouts, and I can tell you that they are no danger to nursing infants. If you eat them, the baby will refuse to nurse. It's quite a face you get from them if you try.

To funny,

wonder if it affects the attunement process?

mildadhd
01-10-13, 09:25 PM

You should be banned for the worst best joke.

Too Funny!!

Subtract81
01-10-13, 09:37 PM
Haha, Be careful what you wish for!

ezridax
01-10-13, 09:43 PM

I've never noticed a problem ....must depend on the baby...

Amtram
01-10-13, 09:54 PM

An yummy afrodisiac flatulent would make for an interesting first date?

OMG, I read that as "interesting fart date."

mildadhd
01-10-13, 09:54 PM
Haha, Be careful what you wish for!

I wish for more bad jokes.

And that you never get banned.

crystal8080
01-11-13, 02:26 AM
Brussel sprouts are ok, I will eat a few at thanksgiving and christmas. We cut off the hard pieces put little crosses on them (I don't know if it really helps but grandma swears by it) and boil them. Not too long though. I think they are fine just like that I don't put anything on them. If you only eat them twice a year you can't get sick of them :)

mildadhd
01-12-13, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtract81

Reply by Peripheral
You should be banned for the worst best joke.

Too Funny!!

Oh! No!

I'm sorry!

Please someone!

I was wrong.

Subtract81's joke was funny!

meadd823
01-12-13, 02:48 PM
Umm

#1) We don;t ban people for jokes as long as they are within the guidelines . . .

#2) You can't get any one banned but yourself.

#3) All dealings with members of staff are confidential - We don;t discuss other member problems with you but we won;t discuss your problems with other members.

#4) If you have questions about the guidelines themselves please PM a moderator we will be more than happy to help.

Now that that is cleared up I return you to your regularly scheduled program"

Ever do a brussel sprout?

dvdnvwls
01-25-13, 12:40 PM
Brussel sprouts are ok, I will eat a few at thanksgiving and christmas. We cut off the hard pieces put little crosses on them (I don't know if it really helps but grandma swears by it) and boil them. Not too long though. I think they are fine just like that I don't put anything on them. If you only eat them twice a year you can't get sick of them :)
If you don't cut a cross in the stem part, then that part boils slower than the rest, causing either properly-cooked sprouts with undercooked stems or badly overcooked sprouts with properly-cooked stems. There you go.

I am sick of them, and I only had them twice in 43 years.

amberwillow
01-25-13, 03:14 PM
I like fresh brusselsprouts, cooked nicely. Can't stand when people do stale ones... The flavour totally changes.

To blow your theory a little. I'm ADHD-C

Scooby Dude
01-25-13, 04:32 PM
Try this:

Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Clean the sprouts. Pour some olive oil into a bowl and drop the sprouts into it. Toss them around with your hands until they're coated with the oil. Put salt and pepper on them. Then roast them in the oven on a baking sheet until they're dark brown and caramelized on the outside. Some of the leaves will come off and crisp up like potato chips (or crisps, across the pond).

You can mix it up by using bacon fat and toss with little bits of crisp bacon, or add a little balsamic vinegar before you serve them, etc. Lemon zest or garlic are all good, too.

Yum.

I use an almost identical recipe for festive occasions, except I like to use the broiler. The crispy outer leaves that fall off are the best part!

mctavish23
01-26-13, 01:04 AM
LOL

At First, I Thought This Was A Question About Whether They "Sprouted."

Then, I Thought About All The "Organic Stuff" I've Done Over The Years,

And How That NEVER Included Veggie's. :rolleyes:

Oh Well, To Each Their Own. :p

u r welcome :cool:

Crazygirl79
01-26-13, 07:03 AM
I used to hate them as a child but now I can eat them and they're not too bad...lol

If I had a choice between eating cucumbers and brussel sprouts...the brussel sprouts would win every time...

Selena

mildadhd
01-26-13, 10:15 AM
I used to hate them as a child but now I can eat them and they're not too bad...lol

If I had a choice between eating cucumbers and brussel sprouts...the brussel sprouts would win every time...

Selena

Me to,

I will need to figure out what is in those cucumbers,

yukky.

Amtram
01-26-13, 01:35 PM
You're eating the wrong cucumbers!!

Peel them and take out the seeds if they make you burp. Make a nice cucumber and tomato raita to have along with Indian food. Yummers.

JanelleC
01-30-13, 12:09 PM
If you've never had one, don't try the ones at the Golden Corral. I don't think "wretched" is too strong a word. My MIL made them, and while I still don't care for them, but I could politely get one down. =p (I'm inattentive, btw.)

Silvermoonstone
04-28-13, 07:08 PM
Brussel....sprouts?

*gags*

Hated em as a kid, hate em now.

If you can actually make them taste good, I will be amazed. >.<

Sandy4957
04-28-13, 08:31 PM
I will take you up on that challenge, Silvermoon...

Clean, toss in oil, salt, pepper, roast and/or broil until little caramelized browned bits appear. I'll come eat whatever you don't want. :)

I am combined, btw, fwiw. :D

stef
04-29-13, 03:33 AM
get little frozen ones,
cook thoroughly, add crème fraiche;
serve with mashed potatoes (and whatever meat etc)
delicious!

doiadhd
04-30-13, 01:08 PM
Me to!

Used to hide them in my hood.

Hard to swallow.

I had them over the holidays,

and it is not a habit I usually make.

But I'm going to hit the street today and see if I can find someone dealing them.

Craving is really strong.

Makes me nervous to try the peas.

Never could get them down either.

Used to hide them unchewed in the sides of my mouth like a squirl.

And spit them out later.

Or swallow them whole.

Have we met before,
seem to remind me of someone,
was inside for a bit,dealing spinach,
I ams what I ams,don't judge me

love spouts when boiled slightly,
love them raw

love all vegetation
prefer raw veg
actually love raw veg!

Love it,all crispy n fresh and yeah
I starving now. . .

Raw potatoes also!

Like the stems of the sh also!

Silvermoonstone
05-13-13, 03:08 AM
I will take you up on that challenge, Silvermoon...

Clean, toss in oil, salt, pepper, roast and/or broil until little caramelized browned bits appear. I'll come eat whatever you don't want. :)

I am combined, btw, fwiw. :D

I accept the challenge!

..When I get around to buying....the....brussel sprouts.

*sigh*