View Full Version : Does Wellbutrin help or hinder?

koali777
01-11-13, 01:04 AM
I am on 15 mg Adderall XR which does me good for about 3 hours. I don't want to have to go on even more if I don't have to. I am in college and it works nicely for my first 2 classes but by the time it's homework time I just don't want to do anything. I have been additionally self medicating with coffee and that's the only way I can stay focused. My doctor gave me a script for 150 mg Wellbutrin but I did want to get some feedback. Is anyone on a similar combo? Does the Wellbutrin last throughout the day? I like the initial rush of concentration I get from the Adderall but I want to concentrate all day. I eat well and have plenth of water so I'm doing what I can. I don't want the Wellbutrin to harm the effects of Adderall or anything but I feel helpless when it comes to school.

starry
01-11-13, 07:25 AM
Never taken Wellbutrin, but I know that both Wellbutrin and Adderall activate the dopamine receptors in the brain (they are in the "dopaminergic" pharmaceuticals category) Additionally Wellbutrin also activates the another neurotransmitter such as norepinephrine.
So basically if you're taking Adderall, since both meds activate the dopamine receptors, they would not cause problems when taken together, but there really isn't any point to take 2 very similar meds at the same time. It might be like an extra dose of Adderall, which may have positive or negative effects, depending on the person. By positive I mean more focus, energy and euphoria and the negative effects would be extreme heart palpilations, anxiety, panic attacks, headaches, muscle tension, nausea etc.
If you don't feel any negative effects from the double dopaminergics, you would also benefit from the activation of norepinephrine receptors.
But I don't think the two dopaminergics would cancel each other out.

Amtram
01-11-13, 09:14 AM
The Wellbutrin is an antidepressant with more dopaminergic action than most other antidepressants. The dopaminergic effect of Adderall is also secondary to its stimulant effects. It's not the usual combination, but it works for some people.

To be honest, I would say that the problem stems more from the very low dose of Adderall. If you notice that your focus and concentration are better while the Adderall is working, the brain chatter calms down, but there's a dip in between, and the effect wears off earlier than you'd like, then you may just need an increased dose. Or a booster of IR or a second small XR.

How long have you been taking it? The doctor may have started you off on a very low dose just to evaluate how it worked for you.

stivens
01-11-13, 10:33 PM
The Wellbutrin is an antidepressant with more dopaminergic action than most other antidepressants. The dopaminergic effect of Adderall is also secondary to its stimulant effects. It's not the usual combination, but it works for some people.

To be honest, I would say that the problem stems more from the very low dose of Adderall. If you notice that your focus and concentration are better while the Adderall is working, the brain chatter calms down, but there's a dip in between, and the effect wears off earlier than you'd like, then you may just need an increased dose. Or a booster of IR or a second small XR.

How long have you been taking it? The doctor may have started you off on a very low dose just to evaluate how it worked for you.

I am currently on Concerta & Wellbutrin, but the Wellbutrin isn't intended to be part of my ADHD treatment. However, I do find that the second 150mg SR taken later in the day does extend my focusing time a bit. I generally don't have any problems other than having to force myself to eat everyday.

I tend to agree with Amtram, though. It could be because of the low dosage on the stimulant, but I wouldn't know exact the reason(s) why the Dr. is choosing this dosage or adding the Wellbutrin. . .

S

dvdnvwls
01-12-13, 01:38 AM
To answer the exact question in the title:

Yes.

anonymouslyadd
01-12-13, 04:16 AM
Wellbutrin treats my depression and does it well. I'll never go off it.

adelynsmommy
01-12-13, 10:53 AM
I'm on both..I was on wellbutrin for two years before the adderall (for depression treatment) I NEVER got a boost or anything from the wellbutrin...nada. That being said, I've never noticed an effect from any of my AD's and mood stabilizers for that matter.

I did however notice the effects of my 30mg of adderall. It lasts me about 10 hours (but I've only been on it a few days, so I'm sure that will change) so perhaps the wellbutrin extends the effects, I don't know. Overall, I do feel like the wellbutrin is theoretically helpful for managing the "crash" effects of the adderall and makes it more smooth.

Either way, I don't think it can "hinder", probably either neutral or beneficial.

koali777
01-18-13, 04:22 PM
Hi, I'd forgotten about this thread but thank you all for replying. I have been on the Adderall XR since Jan 2nd. It's encouraging to see that the Wellbutrin may help with the crash and extended concentration. I'm not sure why the low dose or why I'm taking SR of Wellbutrin only ONCE a day...everywhere else says twice. So it seems hit and miss...increased euphoria, concentration, and wakefulness sounds good, but heart palpitations not too much. My biggest issue I just noticed recently is also that the Adderall barely works if I don't have a cigarette in the morning. This seems strange to me. It's not like I smoke a ton a day. But with the Wellbutrin, I'm giving it a try and hoping for the best. Just hope this cigarette thing doesn't ruin everything lol

koali777
01-21-13, 10:26 PM
Actually if I could add a PS to this...can anyone at all explain to me the whole "reuptake inhibitor" thing? I either find articles online that are TOO smart for me, or differing views (some say Wellbutrin will "block" the Adderall from entering your system, others say the fact it blocks it from going in the neurons makes it work BETTER, etc etc). So, does having a lot of the same neurotransmitter not being taken back in cause the desired feelings? My question may not make any sense but honestly it's because all of the answers I've found have been so conflicting. IIRC, things like antipsychotics are actual dopamine antagonists.

Amtram
01-22-13, 10:13 AM
Synapses in your brain come in pairs. One in each of these pairs sends out one very specific type of neurotransmitter. The other one receives it. (In fact, there are several different types of dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, etc. Many medications target only a select number of these.)

So. . .transmitting synapse sends out chemical. PEW!! PEW!! PEW!!

Receiving synapse eats up x number of molecules and then says "OK, I'm full" and shuts down.

Transmitting synapse sends out more. PEW!! PEW!!

Receiving synapse is shut down, so those molecules sit in the gap between the synapses until they're reabsorbed and broken down in the brain. That's reuptake.

A reuptake inhibitor opens up the receiving synapse so that it takes in more of the molecules of neurotransmitter, so that the brain uses more of what's already being produced.

Make sense?

koali777
01-27-13, 05:42 PM
Actually yes, that makes a lot more sense. lol I actually imagined the "pew pew pew" in my head as I read it. Thank you for explaining that to me. And as an update, the Wellbutrin with the Adderall actually works great. I made the mistake of going to work and having caffeine there...I had to take a ten minute break to deep breathe because I was having a physical panic attack. So it's helped me cut caffeine from my diet, lol. Best part is I'm already losing the desire to smoke. And yeah there's better concentration and sense of wellbeing and energy, but more vasoconstriction and tight chest. Essentially, everything you all predicted came true :)

Amtram
01-27-13, 08:06 PM
Wellbutrin and other buproprion based medications are the only ones I ever saw that had a specific warning about caffeine in the patient information. They're also the only ones that ever gave me a problem personally with caffeine. Stimulants and caffeine, no problem. Aplenzin and caffeine, you could have strapped paint cans to me and I'd mix 'em right up for you.

Rebelyell
01-27-13, 09:00 PM
If it wasnt for my meds I might not get out of bed ,I get up for work on time now,the only bad thing is at nite I get revved up where I cant get to sleep sometimes.The dr asked told me the wellbutrin can do this.Its a side effect ll deal w as I can function on a even keel.

FogNoggin
02-19-13, 08:17 PM
Wellbutrin and other buproprion based medications are the only ones I ever saw that had a specific warning about caffeine in the patient information. They're also the only ones that ever gave me a problem personally with caffeine. Stimulants and caffeine, no problem. Aplenzin and caffeine, you could have strapped paint cans to me and I'd mix 'em right up for you.
Well.....I drank a half pot of coffee this morning.
Was just a good morning and the paint is not mixed.
Not a whole lotta shakin' goin on.

But, only been 9 days on it, so maybe my body is not done being saturated with wellbutrinic goodness?

I'll see how much of a coffee glutton I be in a few weeks time.

425runner
02-19-13, 10:07 PM
Wellbutrin gives me a headache, makes me severaly constipated, gives me blurry vision and makes me feel stupid. Somebody once said that since it's a NE/DA re-uptake inhibitor it blocks the synapses or prohibits flow of NE/DA freely.

I take n-acetyl l-tyrosine instead of the Wellbutrin and it works just as well for depression, helps me wake up and I don't experience any of the above mentioned side effects. Oh..and to make things worse...the Wellbutrin made me sluggish and slow so I'd have a can of diet pepsi or some coffee and ended up anxious as hell...to a point where I had to take 0.5mg Klonopin. Terrible...

hollywood
02-20-13, 12:26 AM
Yup sick of wellbutrin too . I have felt dumb since starting it again. I quit again