View Full Version : Homeopathy, does it work?

Los4Muros
01-13-13, 03:38 PM
I've just been diagnosed, but for more than a while, I've been very active. So I'd like some medication. So my psychologist has an assistant that's a homeotherapist and being so, she gave me "Arnica" and "medorrhinum". So I started taking them (drops) and so far I do feel a little better, but the difference is very small, almost nothing. The psychologist told me to be patient with this medicine, that it requires time to work, but that it was natural, that it wasn't gonna give me any side effects.

But to be honest, the more I read about homeopathy, the less I'm convinced. And a doctor told me he doesn't trust homeopathy and that maybe my psychologist having an assistant based on that, she'll give her support and only use this type of medicine instead of psychostimulants. Should I seek help somewhere else or should I simply keep going with the treatment?

saturday
01-13-13, 03:57 PM
I would seek help somewhere else.

adelynsmommy
01-13-13, 04:26 PM
Definitely would get another opinion on your treatment...seems a little off in left field if you ask me (and I have tried homeopathic remedies for other issues)

surferdude123
01-13-13, 04:30 PM
Actually there are randomized double blind double dummy trials to support the use of homeopathy with regards to a lot of ailments.

I'd give it a fair go before you just "move on" to something else - in my opinion.

Tyler Durden
01-13-13, 04:54 PM
Many placebos work..

sarahsweets
01-13-13, 05:12 PM
Actually there are randomized double blind double dummy trials to support the use of homeopathy with regards to a lot of ailments.

I'd give it a fair go before you just "move on" to something else - in my opinion.

I would like to see some reliable sources that specifically address the use of natural remedies and adhd.

SweetCode
01-13-13, 07:35 PM

I Would like to see any scientific article published in any respected scientific publication with a randomized double blind trial on homeopathy where the homeopathy has shown to be more effective than a place, I have never ever seen one and it would be really good to see since there's barely any molecule of the active ingredient it would probably be a revolution on chemistry.

I am not being ironic or sarcastic, please show me the paper.

tudorose
01-14-13, 08:15 AM
I see a naturopath and take homeopathic medications but not for ADHD.

There is nothing in the range that can do the job.

It can however assist with stress and other physical conditions such as CFS etc..

SquarePeg
01-14-13, 09:12 AM
homeopathy has worked wonders for my kids for ezcema and glue ear, one tablet only but for adhd I donīt believe it can work although it could rectify some conditions that are making adhd worse.

kstate23
10-18-13, 03:26 PM
I Would like to see any scientific article published in any respected scientific publication with a randomized double blind trial on homeopathy where the homeopathy has shown to be more effective than a place, I have never ever seen one and it would be really good to see since there's barely any molecule of the active ingredient it would probably be a revolution on chemistry.

I am not being ironic or sarcastic, please show me the paper.

Your criteria would most likely be impossible to satisfy. Scientific journals don't write about homeopathy. It is very difficult to get any funding for homeopathic research as well. You expect fair results on an unfair playing field.

In short, you won't find what you're looking for...

I would also like to see such research, by the way. I'm neutral on the subject.

DMsask
10-18-13, 04:34 PM
Been lurking for a while, and this seemed like a nice time to jump in.

Principles of Homeopathy:

There are 2 main principles of Homeopathy.

1. Like cures like. What can cause the symptoms in large doses can cure them diluted.

2. Diluting a homeopathic solution more makes it more potent. Essentially, the less of the original ingredient is present, the more powerful the medicine. Most homeopathic solutions are diluted enough that it is extremely unlikely there is a single molecule of the original ingredient still contained in the final medicine.

These are the principles of homeopathy, they are not debated by their practitioners

Now for a healthy dose of skepticism.

As a thought experiment, what would happen to our lakes and rivers when substances are introduced into them? It stands to reason that as the substance was diluted more and more as the water moved into the ocean, it would become more and more powerful. A small amount of "Arnica" added to a stream on the top of a mountain should turn into ADHD medicine for the whole world once it reaches the ocean, should it not?

Scientifically, homeopathy requires that a number of repeatedly tested basic principles of chemistry and physics not to be true. Essentially, if it works like they say it does, we need to completely re-evaluate how the universe operates.

The reason it doesn't get a fair shake in scientific journals is that science has moved on. It's been tested and fares no better than a similarly administered placebo. Homeopathic principles present no mechanisms in which why it may work, and requires the violation of well established scientific principles for it to work.

In my personal opinion, I would find somewhere else.

Amtram
10-18-13, 06:22 PM
There has been research. Despite the fact that, were it to work, it would defy all the laws of chemistry and many of physics well before it made it to biological testing. It's water. Avogadro's number shows that it's impossible for there to be even a single molecule of the "active" substance beyond the first dilution and succussion. No active ingredients, no mechanism of action.