View Full Version : Adderall and sleep

KellySG
01-15-13, 01:38 PM
I take a very small dose of Adderall, 10mg a day. I don't take it everyday, I don't need it everyday.
I'm boarderline adhd.
Anyway, I can not sleep! I need tips and tricks. I really like the benifit but I really need to sleep at night.

Suggestions?

Britainton
01-15-13, 01:57 PM
I take anywhere from 0mg to 30mg per day, but I think I'll probably end up evening out to at least 10mg per day for precisely the reason you mentioned.

If you're like me, you can get to sleep, but you can't stay asleep, is that the case? If so, the only thing I've found, other than taking the same dose for a few days in a row, is to just lie in bed completely still, relax all of your muscles, and clear your brain by speaking one word or phrase every time thoughts come rushing in. Eventually, you might find that the thoughts come and go, and then don't come at all, and you drift off into sleep.

But yeah, Adderall and sleep are not friends.

sarahsweets
01-20-13, 11:33 AM
I am assuming this is ir? If so take it as early as possible.

Clyde7
01-20-13, 02:00 PM
I have only been on adderall for a short time. I take my last dose at 3.30pm. I was having some difficulty falling asleep for the first few days, and have been prescribed triazolam short term.

I had sleep issues before starting the adderall. So my experience should be considered in that context.

I also have a very fast metabolism, so the drug only has a very slight lingering effect being I take the last dose so early.

That said, if you can, I've found triazolam to work quite well. It is a benzo and you don't want to use it long term because there are very serious withdrawals over long term. I prefer it to hypnotics like ambien which made me eat in my sleep.

sarahsweets
01-21-13, 08:02 AM
I take a low dose of melatonin every night. in emergencies I take sonata which is short acting with no morning groginess.

GeordieDave
01-21-13, 08:33 AM
I often stuggle to sleep and I am not even on meds :/ I hope this does not worse if I do get put on meds :(

jace2013
01-21-13, 12:32 PM
I take between 0-25mg IR and I never take it past 11 am. It kind of sucks if I'm studying late but I still find that the drugs are somewhat effective that late. I usually take half a sleeping pill too, the over the counter ones from HEB or Kroger work crazy well.

ebullient
01-21-13, 05:57 PM
I have heard melatonin is a great over the counter med. So many people I know take it and swear by it and have suggested I supplement with my sleep meds.
I've known people who take advil or tylenol PM, but that seems odd to me. I'd like to try the new nyquil one.
But right now I take ambien. It. is. awesome. I also have terrible insomnia for one reason or another. Many people claim it is very addictive, but it's not that for me. I could easily stop taking it tomorrow. I would really miss how effective it is. I like lunesta, but it's very expensive (but not habit forming) and gives you a really natural feeling of sleep. Trazadone is pretty light, but I built a complete tolerance to it in about 11 months.

There was a time when I never had a problem with sleep, but through my various meds and after my first manic high (over the hill into real bipolar land) I've had insomnia since.
I absolutely have to manage my sleep to manage my illness. It's just about my top defense. I'm not sure how that works for ADHD- I was diagnosed with it before bipolar (I think they got em mixed up), but sleep seems to be pretty essential - so don't ignore it?

KellySG
01-23-13, 10:48 AM
I found the new zquill did nothing for me.
I usually take a benadryl and it works ok.

MellyFishButt
01-23-13, 11:24 AM
I had my first adderall induced insomnia last night. The cool part was that I didn't have racing thoughts and I was super calm, not even annoyed that I was still awake. But then 1am rolled around and that changed things a bit. I ended up taking a Valium earlier in the evening and when that didn't work, a klonopin knocked me out about an hour later. I would rather not take Benzos if I can help it but hopefully I am tired enough tonight to go without.

cyberflaneuse
01-23-13, 08:32 PM
Hi all, I've been lurking these boards for a while now but I finally decided to make an account. I've always had problems falling asleep, but after starting Adderall about two months ago I began to rely on an OTC sleep aid more regularly.

I take Vita Fusion Sleep Well gummies. Each dose has 3 mg melatonin and 12 or so mg of plant extracts that I don't believe do anything, and within 20 minutes of taking them I literally cannot keep my eyes open. I've tried melatonin in tablet form in the past and it did nothing but give me crazy dreams. My guess is that the gummies work better because in chewing them, some of the melatonin is absorbed in the gums or sublingually, which would mean a faster route to the bloodstream (the tablet form would be absorbed in the intestines which takes much longer). I haven't had a chance to research if my hypothesis is correct, but I do know that melatonin can come in oral sprays or sublingual tablets, so perhaps I have the right idea. Anyway, these gummies changed my life almost as much as the Adderall did--I swear that the gummies make ALL the difference.

By the way, I took Benadryl for a long time until the morning grogginess it caused me became too much to deal with. I noticed that melatonin-induced sleep felt more "natural" than benadryl-induced sleep, which felt sort of like someone knocked you into a deep, heavy hibernation. With the melatonin, sleep comes quickly, feels restful and there's no hangover; for me, benadryl took forever to start working (if it did at all), felt just slightly better than getting no sleep at all and left me with this groggy haze only 3 cups of coffee could fix.

Sorry for writing such a long commentary! Hope I didn't lose your interest, haha.