View Full Version : Does work or school help or hurt your wellbeing?

saturday
01-16-13, 12:40 PM
*Sometimes* when I am swamped at work and in the groove my symptoms seem to dissipate. Its like Im too buisy to give any time to my "not good thoughts". I think for me working saves me from slipping into complete psychosis. The delusions are still there, they almost always are at least a little bit. But having something else to focus on keeps me a bit more balanced.

Maybe its kind of like those brain games that are supposed to keep your brain young. Maybe work will help protect my brain from the degenerative asspects of Bipolar Spectrum Disorder.

(Of course there are times that work makes things a little worse too, but overall, for me, it is a good thing)

Abi
01-16-13, 01:28 PM
Work is seriously harmful for me. In future I shall only take on part time, low stress work.

School is not particularly harmful to me.

SquarePeg
01-16-13, 03:01 PM
I need work, without it I would lay in bed all day and do nothing. It gives me a purpose each day and a legitimate excuse not to do all the boring, mundane things that need to be done at home, which absolutely kill my soul. The "stress" of work enables me to function at my best, it seems stress invigorates me, whilst boredom kills me.

saturday
01-16-13, 04:33 PM
Dont get me wrong, I love lazy days, but day after day of staying home just got to me. I think Im afraid to be alone with myself also.

GeordieDave
01-16-13, 04:46 PM
I agree! A few days off is great! I love it! but eventually ah man it kills me! I had 2 weeks off work over the festive period. At first it was great but then I was SO SO SO bored. I love being lazy but eventually I just could'nt cope

keliza
01-17-13, 01:46 AM
I definitely need a work/school routine to keep my mental health in check. Having a reasonable schedule helps me stay busy with productive, positive tasks, socialize with other people, and have something goal-oriented to get up and do every day. Those are all positive things that have a protective effect on the brain, they help buffer you against future mood episodes.

However, I emphasize reasonable because there's a very fine line between working enough to keep yourself occupied and productive, and working so much that you get frazzled, over-stressed, and end up doing more harm than good to your own mental wellbeing. Having nothing to do but mope around the house is not good for you, but being so stressed that you feel like ripping your hair out is even worse! It's important for each individual person to find the right balance in their life - enough work to keep them productive, but not so much that it becomes more of a hazard than a help.

saturday
01-17-13, 11:04 AM
When I was unemployed I would go weeks without showering and days and days without brushing my teeth. Sounds grose, but its sadly true.

Fuzzy12
01-17-13, 11:22 AM
It depends. I love coming to work, I potentially love my work and field and I enjoy seeing my colleagues during the day. I think, if I stayed at home, I'd feel very isolated and would probably end up just watching TV and eating all day long.

On the other hand, I find work very stressful and the constant deadlines are definitely not helping my mental health. I struggle hugely with procrastination and focus and that is extremely frustrating and depressing.

I think, if I was able to actually do some work, working would be good for me. :)

TheBipolarOne
01-17-13, 04:55 PM
It can go both ways for me. At times, my work helps me stray from negativity and gives me a sense of purpose/direction. It's like the thread that holds everything together.

However, there are times when the stress of work really gets to me and starts to impact my mood and well being in a very negative fashion. The reason being I'm easily set off by stressors and have a tendency to feel like everything is closing in on me.

But in general, the sense of purpose and motivation it brings is worth it. I just need to remind myself from time to time to not be so harsh on myself.