View Full Version : Does Xanax cause dark circles under eyes?

starry
01-17-13, 07:07 PM
I take Xanax for my insomnia and night time anxiety. I only take it before going to sleep.
During the day I take Adderall for my ADD and ED.
For a year or so I stopped taking Xanax and was taking Unisom which is an over the counter sleep aid. Just wanted to give my body a break.

Now I'm back to Xanax as a sleep aid. It's been a few months now.
Recently started noticing that I'm getting dark circles under my eyes, that seem to be getting darker and darker (not freakishly dark "yet", but still unusual for me, since I didn't have them this dark ever).

Is anyone else having this?
And do you think it has anything to do with Xanax?

I sleep like a baby all night when I take it, so it's not like I have dark circles under my eyes, because I haven't been sleeping enough. I get a good nights sleep.

Electra2
01-17-13, 07:33 PM
Things that cause dark sir circles:

-Lack of sleep
-Lack of exercise/movement/blood siculation
-Unhealthy lifestyle
-Some illnesses
-Stress

erh...I forgot the rest.
But there are some good videos on how to get rid of it in youtube.
You could try to splash the face with cold water,maybe,or use concealer make up? :)

I got rid of it when I got enough sleep. :)
If you have baggy eyes,you can try caffein for it,contained in make up products.

starry
01-17-13, 07:51 PM
Yea I use a concealer stick daily and refresh it every few hours. But it barely covers the dark circles anymore. They look a little lighter, but they're still very visible and I use a very light tone. :( And they also appeared in between my eyes.... never had them there before.

Am pretty healthy except being anemic (low red blood cells). I take Iron pills for it.
I don't exercise daily, but am active mostly if I take my Adderall in the day.
And sleep well (at least 6 hours) of uninterrupted, deep sleep a night (thanks to Xanax).

I don't know what's going on with these dark circles, but they started to show when I started Xanax again.

Electra2
01-17-13, 07:57 PM
Yea I use a concealer stick daily and refresh it every few hours. But it barely covers the dark circles anymore. They look a little lighter, but they're still very visible and I use a very light tone. :( And they also appeared in between my eyes.... never had them there before.

Am pretty healthy except being anemic (low red blood cells). I take Iron pills for it.
I don't exercise daily, but am active mostly if I take my Adderall in the day.
And sleep well (at least 6 hours) of uninterrupted, deep sleep a night (thanks to Xanax).

I don't know what's going on with these dark circles, but they started to show when I started Xanax again.

Im also anemetic,I need to trake iron pills a lot of times.
Maybe you can try melatonin and ...erh...whats it called,brb...atarax in stead?
That helps me sometimes...
I heard that some sleep meds can stop breathing to some degree,
that,and other things freaked me out so I stopped them,
now I prefer melatonin.

starry
01-17-13, 08:19 PM
Im also anemetic,I need to trake iron pills a lot of times.
Maybe you can try melatonin and ...erh...whats it called,brb...atarax in stead?
That helps me sometimes...
I heard that some sleep meds can stop breathing to some degree,
that,and other things freaked me out so I stopped them,
now I prefer melatonin.

I tried Melatonin. Didn't work at all. Neither did Kava Kava and a few other homeopathic remedies.
Tried other sleep aids (Ambien, Valium, Rozerem) and they didn't work either.
I might fall asleep for a short period of time (maximum an hour) and then wake up and can't go back to sleep and get night-time anxiety (panic attacks from racing obsessive, negative thoughts that won't stop until day breaks). This benzo seems to work best for me. But if I'm going to end up looking like I recently survived a nuclear disaster... might have to look for something else... Or keep taking it and get a great sleep and not worry about looking scary ;)

I wish I knew for sure if it's Xanax that's causing it, or something else.

Electra2
01-18-13, 12:01 AM
:grouphug:
Maybe you are in a bad situation of life or have traumatic memories and that causes it ?

starry
01-18-13, 01:13 AM
:grouphug:
Maybe you are in a bad situation of life or have traumatic memories and that causes it ?

Definitely a stressful time right now. Job hunting, bills, decisions about future.

Thank you. Hugs! xx

Raye
01-18-13, 04:50 AM
I've had the dark circles under the eyes issue since I was about 25 ( I'm 33 now and still have it)

I was told it was from lack of sleep. But as I've aged and have been taking xanax and klonopin I've noticed the circles getting puffier and darker.

Guest123
01-31-13, 03:37 AM
Recently started noticing that I'm getting dark circles under my eyes, that seem to be getting darker and darker (not freakishly dark "yet", but still unusual for me, since I didn't have them this dark ever).

Is anyone else having this?
And do you think it has anything to do with Xanax?

IMHO, dark circles, which I have had for some time as well, and I also take Xanax..... but I don't think that's why. TBH, I think it actually is a symptom of really living a life that makes you tired. Even if you sleep well...... Just that maybe the emotions in life are dragging you out. I know that *I* feel that way. I myself believe that is the cause.

Electra2
01-31-13, 03:50 AM
The skin under the eyes are supposed to puff as we grow older , but one can give coffein/caffeine (same as in coffee) a try, just buy a make-up roll-on stick and roll on... That's how I roll:rolleyes:

sarahsweets
01-31-13, 07:20 AM
Not sure if it causes circles but heres my trick. When applying foundation I put some over my eyes and blend. then I use a foundation that is one shade lighter and apply on my eyes area blending out ward. i finish with face powder over my whole face and eye area before putting any other makeup on.

MellyFishButt
01-31-13, 11:55 AM
I read somewhere that dark circles are from a lack of oxygen. Who knows if its true.

starry
03-13-13, 03:53 AM
Just an update on this subject:

I no longer have this problem- even though my sleep schedule in the past 2 months has been not great (getting about 5-6 hrs of sleep every night), the dark under eye circles are barely there now.

It might have had something to do with the fact that I have changed my diet.

Eating a healthy vegan diet still like before, but eating alkalizing foods mostly and staying off the acidifying ones.
I think my diet was way too acidic -even though I was eating healthy.
But Adderall and Xanax are acidifying enough, so I'm trying the keep my diet alkaline.
So far so good.