View Full Version : Abilify from Olanzapean + brief BIO & comments inc

ConnS
01-17-13, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I am a very mature, optimistic, conscientious, extroverted 3rd Sociology student (minor in psychology) who battled ADHD and depression, and anxiety most of my life. Although I was diagnosed with "borderline" ADHD (ADHD none the less) by a pediatrician when I was either 9 or 10 years old my mother was adamant that this label did not diagnose to hold me back by the education system and councillors throughout elementary and middle school. As a school teacher herself she wanted me to receive the same level of education as everyone else and certainly not treated any differently and held to the same standard as other children. Medication at this point was not possible and I was certainly not agreeable with it at this time. My ADD symptoms never did went away as I entered adulthood and continues to hold me back while I try and complete my University degree, maintain relationships and hang on to the hope as I rediscover my spiritual side and what I should be thankful for. (it could be much worse)

The comorbidity of anxiety and depression with the ADD caused prodromal symptoms in observable behavior that started to show in my adolescent years at which point I required a hospitalization. Life up to this point life was always a bummpy road lacking confidence, self esteem, or much if any success. This institualization did not help my independence or freedom of expression and thought process which I took much for granted. On a positive note I feel it built much character and valuable lived experience that I like to share with others. I always had to fight for what I had. I feel psychosocial education played an important role to where I am now but now I have a big change on what I have been stabilized, integrated back into community on but managing, continuing treatment on a severe deficit in the classical ADD symptoms that we are all familiar with on these forums.

I have been maintained on olanzapean and Strattera now for well over 7 years that has allowed me to gain a lot more insight and awareness into my own health. I found Olanzapean when I initially started it to have many side affects however the big issues summarized into simplistic form that I have been struggling with even lately have been sleeping a lot of the day, grogginess, and of course major weight gain. This I found to be a major barrier into living a more pleasurable and enjoyable lifestyle. Although more in tune with reality I can begin to understand and appreciate how clients like myself do not like being "stoned cold" in appearance during the first few years of initial drug treatment. I feel this is why there has been so many ongoing issues of compliance with this particular medication that the peace act enacted for the welfare of mental health consumers see day in and day out.

I am taking 10mg olazanpean with 2MG Abilify for 14 days, then Olanzapean 5mg with Abilify 5mg for 14 days. I am hoping anyone else who has made this transition can share their experience. I heard that it is tolerated much better. It would be terrific if I did not sleep as much on it and allowed me to be more attentive and better stablized mood and depression but I am concerned with it being an partial dopamine agonist. I am asking if you can please share your experiences with it and how you felt after the switch and if this antipsychotic you found worked any better with front line ADD medication.

Thanks and regards,
Stephen

Stephen D.
Dx (2007): Bipolar II, ADHD-Inattentive Type (depression)
Meds: Strattera, Zyprexa, Abilify, Biphentin

saturday
01-17-13, 09:55 PM
I wish I could comment specifically, but I haven't taken either Abilify or Zyprexa. However, I have read that for some people with Bipolar Spectrum Disorder Abilify can keep them "edgy" or slightly hypomanic. Just something to think about while trying it out.

Good luck!

ConnS
01-18-13, 04:42 PM
I wish I could comment specifically, but I haven't taken either Abilify or Zyprexa. However, I have read that for some people with Bipolar Spectrum Disorder Abilify can keep them "edgy" or slightly hypomanic. Just something to think about while trying it out.

Good luck!

Thank you for sharing saturday. Those symptoms are definitely something I will have to be on the look out for and try and avoid. "edgy" was something I definitely struggled with in observable behavioural symptoms in my relationship to cetain practitioners at CDHA (none of the males, oddly enough)

I know everyone is unique and an individual so we will have to monitor closely in my transition to Abilify and get feedback from family, friends and practitioners and community support team and professors.

Although hypomania is blissful and slightly equphic it is still serious and needs to be treated like any other condition (like diabetics). I think this is a problem with most suffering within the Bipolar Spectrum Disorder. I have experienced this in the past.

I encourage others to please step up and share their experiences with Abilify. Every little bit of peer support does make a huge impact.

Thanks,
Stephen

ConnS
01-24-13, 12:38 PM
Well just to follow up a bit. The first day on 2mg Abilify was a nice tranquil state followed by deep sleep. The second night it kicked me in the butt a bit. It should definitely not be marketed as a dopamine agonist in the anti-psythotic class. I would say however that the reticular formation involved in breathing was affected. I got up to make a sandwich and nearly collapsed. lolol I start Abilify 5mg with Olanzapean decreased to 5mg for 14 days soon. The 4 night until present I have been home free and I feel that my mood and ADHD was a lot more stabilized. This is definitely great news. Not as "gloomy" and taking a lot more pleasure in daily activities. Class has been a lot easier. I felt I needed and deserved this break. A lot less impulsive, restless and more attentive.

The bad part is that I feel however today and lastnight there is third variable other then medications listed below, perhaps an interaction with nicotine. I am going to try and cut out smoking for awhile. I have not taken any supplements in several weeks. Focus has certainly not been as good. I do not believe this to be responsible from a small increase in Biphentin every several days as apart of the protocol for finding the right dose that is metabolized. Every individual is different. Tasks such as cleaning the bathtub that I would normally find boring and unable to complete got gradually easier up until and after this Tuesday.

I would appreciate it if you can relate to this that you share your experiences with me.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen D.

ConnS
01-27-13, 02:00 AM
Well just to follow up a bit. The first day on 2mg Abilify was a nice tranquil state followed by deep sleep. The second night it kicked me in the butt a bit. It should definitely not be marketed as a dopamine agonist in the anti-psythotic class. I would say however that the reticular formation involved in breathing was affected. I got up to make a sandwich and nearly collapsed. lolol I start Abilify 5mg with Olanzapean decreased to 5mg for 14 days soon. The 4 night until present I have been home free and I feel that my mood and ADHD was a lot more stabilized. This is definitely great news. Not as "gloomy" and taking a lot more pleasure in daily activities. Class has been a lot easier. I felt I needed and deserved this break. A lot less impulsive, restless and more attentive.

The bad part is that I feel however today and lastnight there is third variable other then medications listed below, perhaps an interaction with nicotine. I am going to try and cut out smoking for awhile. I have not taken any supplements in several weeks. Focus has certainly not been as good. I do not believe this to be responsible from a small increase in Biphentin every several days as apart of the protocol for finding the right dose that is metabolized. Every individual is different. Tasks such as cleaning the bathtub that I would normally find boring and unable to complete got gradually easier up until and after this Tuesday.

I would appreciate it if you can relate to this that you share your experiences with me.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen D.

Just an updated ploy. I will be tapering down to Olanzapean 5mg and increasing to 5 mg abilify for 14 days. It would appear that the interaction I was experiencing has subsided. I have noticed a lot of positive benefits but I will only name a few. Just a highlight of increased interest and pleasure in Psychology studies and boring tasks around the house that normally go incomplete. Definitely more comfortable and relaxed in the academic environment and at church. I hope this helps people to just hang in there and life does get easier. For some people this transition phase takes a lot longer to complete and become finalized.

Regards,
Stephen

ConnS
02-17-13, 02:26 PM
Just another small update as I feel I owe it to anyone who made this transition. I have now been maintained on 10MG Abilify for awhile now (lavender) and it is working out a lot better. My mood has been a lot more stablized then I am used to saying and I am finding better balance in my life. Taking direction, having fun, university and work-outs are a lot easier.

It works well with the Biphentin which you can't even feel working anymore but you know its there. I am glad my life had such a positive turn around and that I took the necessary risk instead of living status quit pro quo.

dogluver358
02-18-13, 05:49 PM
Abilify didn't work out for me, but I'm glad things appear to be working for you!

ConnS
04-15-13, 12:18 PM
I am still generating my full report however it will be released at a later date. I have been maintained on 80MG biphentin at 15 Abilify. I have accomplished a great deal and feel very sucessfull about myself. Statistical information considers a lucky 7 BOLT,17,19

Restorative sleep has never been better. With improved levels of anxiety reduction. A differential diagnosis of underlying OCD might be determined.

This is understanding that health comes first and foremost over academics or anything else within the internal circle of self.

On two imporant highlights The only thing I have noticed that is extremely important is that it makes you very flimsy and weak for your work out routines and sexual fuctioning. There is also a lot more information to filter out with regards to sensation and perception. A hightended state of awareness, concentration and better sense of community.

With regards to smoking I can almost cut it out completely on select days when the drug metabolized properly. On off days I smoke a full pack. So the information speaks for it self.

Thanks,
Stephen