View Full Version : Do you consider yourself a good person?

Los4Muros
01-20-13, 07:13 PM
I was checking some psychological tests and found myself with this unique question: Do you consider yourself a good person? I kept on thinking about this for hours and hours and finally came to the conclution that "No", I don't consider myself a good person. But I'd love to know what you guys think about yourselves.

And this question is general, resuming your whole life and all those small detalles you have about your personality, do you consider yourslef a good person?

peripatetic
01-20-13, 07:17 PM
i know i try to be; i don't know if i succeed, but i don't know taht that can be measured in medias res of life...because you're still becoming being..and only when yo've been maybe is it possible to say?

**** me i hate how aristotelian that sounds lin light of my username: roll eyes:

GeordieDave
01-20-13, 07:21 PM
Yeah I'd like to consider myself a good person.

I'm not a thug, a criminal, a theif or a mean person. I've never beat anyone up, I've never been arrested for anything.

I will admit I have been selfish and I have insulted people out of anger for silly reasons but that does not make someone a bad person. If not the entire population would be a bunch of mean ******** :P

I will always help and go the extra mile for anyone I like, or even a stranger in the street. I love my friends and my family. I've done things in the past which have really made me think, although I am not Mr Peter Perfect. I'm a kind, generous loving guy.

From reading a few of your posts I can see you are a very intelligent and confident person. I do not know you so I can not say much about you. However you have come across as a good person. Believe in yourself, not what others think of you.

saturday
01-20-13, 07:32 PM
Im curious why you dont think you are a good person yourself.

About me though, yes I think who I am now is a good person, probably better than a lot of people out there. Does that sound cocky or conceited? Well, I only mean that I feel a huge urge to follow after what is right in the world. I have been finding myself more and more obsessed with whether or not I am doing right and being true almost to the point that it is torturous to me because the guilt of not doing right is alway hanging over my head. So, me as in my intent and desires, that person is a good person.

However, if you were to sum up all of my past actions I dont think I could say that I am a good person.

So what makes a person? How much of the past do you want to know about? Could a lying, cheating, druggy thieving prostitute of a person still be good?

peripatetic
01-20-13, 07:41 PM
yes, absolutely.

i don't think good is measured in a day or an action...but in a process and an aim and a cultivation of being as best you know how to be and are at that time able to be (and sometimes we're far more limited than others for circumstances and place along the trajectory of living) and earnestly trying to manifest in your self what in tandem connects self to all and thus manifests those traits in the universe and moves the dialectic and breaks down boundaries of understanding and seeing.

sarahsweets
01-20-13, 07:45 PM
i did.

tudorose
01-21-13, 07:24 AM
Yes I'm a good person. That's one nice thing I can say without cringing or doubting myself.

PixiePlumber
01-21-13, 07:46 AM
Yes I do. I have respect for people and authority, I try to get on with people even if I don't like them, and even the 3 people I hate if I had to spend time with them I'd be nice. Is that two faced though? Who cares. I don't choose to spend time with these people, I'm just civil. I've not been involved in any crime, I keep myself to myself and don't insult people...

sarek
01-21-13, 07:58 AM
I am neither good nor bad. I try to do the right thing but so often screw it up royally.

How much of that is ADD and how much of it is myself? To that I know not the answer.

Fuzzy12
01-21-13, 08:33 AM
I would like to be and I try to be but I'm not. I'm too self absorbed and selfish to consider myself as a good person.

SquarePeg
01-21-13, 10:15 AM
hmmm hard one. Im ok in the sense that I try never to harm anybody else, I dont lie, cheat or steal etc but Im not a good person in the sense that I go out of my way to help others like a lot of people I know.

I dont volunteer for community stuff going in, or offer to arrive early to an event to get it set up, or man a charity stall (Ill buy stuff from it though), or offer to bake cakes etc.

I would love to be that sort of person but can never find any spare time or be organised enough so Im pretty selfish in that way.

stef
01-21-13, 10:37 AM
hmmm hard one. Im ok in the sense that I try never to harm anybody else, I dont lie, cheat or steal etc but Im not a good person in the sense that I go out of my way to help others like a lot of people I know.

I dont volunteer for community stuff going in, or offer to arrive early to an event to get it set up, or man a charity stall (Ill buy stuff from it though), or offer to bake cakes etc.

I would love to be that sort of person but can never find any spare time or be organised enough so Im pretty selfish in that way.

oh wow same here! they always need extra help in band to set up & stuff, I'm like, look I'm HERE aren't I? what more do you expect?

I just don't know, i can be incredibly selfish. and you all rarely see the snarky, petty side come out here...I wish I had the "goodness" of my son.

luminosity
03-04-13, 08:20 PM
I do consider myself a fundamentally good person, but I'm sure a jerk a lot of the time. It's mostly because I do something or say something jerky before I can stop myself and I hurt those I love the most with my words and actions.

I guess I waffle between feeling like the worst person ever and feeling like I'm okay. I'm just kind of an ***. It's hard to articulate.

lalapin
03-04-13, 08:32 PM
I was conviced my whole life I was a bad person but since the dx I think I'm actually a good person (like, average good). So to the question I would have answered "yes"

Spacemaster
03-04-13, 08:38 PM
Generally, I consider myself a good person.

If you want to put it in RPG or nerdy board game terms, (some may get it, some may not)
I'd call myself Chaotic Neutral

Chaotic Neutral
Chaotic Neutral is called the "Anarchist" or "Free Spirit" alignment. A character of this alignment is an individualist who follows his or her own heart, and generally shirks rules and traditions. Although they promote the ideals of freedom, it is their own freedom that comes first. Good and Evil come second to their need to be free, and the only reliable thing about them is how totally unreliable they are. Chaotic Neutral characters are free-spirited and do not enjoy the unnecessary suffering of others, but if they join a team, it is because that team's goals happen to coincide with their own at the moment. They invariably resent taking orders and can be very selfish in their pursuit of personal goals. A Chaotic Neutral character does not have to be an aimless wanderer; they may have a specific goal in mind, but their methods of achieving that goal are often disorganized, unorthodox, or entirely unpredictable.

A subset of Chaotic Neutral is: "strongly Chaotic Neutral"; describing a character who behaves chaotically to the point of appearing insane. Characters of this type may regularly change their appearance and attitudes for the sake of change and intentionally disrupt organizations for the sole reason of disrupting a lawful institution. Characters of this type include the Xaositects from the Planescape setting, and Hennet from the third edition Player's Handbook. In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Chaotic Neutral was mistakenly assumed to refer to this subset.

Captain Jack Sparrow, Al Swearengen from the TV series Deadwood, and Snake Plissken from Escape from New York are Chaotic Neutral characters according to Complete Scoundrel (3.5e).[9] Slaadi represent pure chaos outsiders.

The complete list of alignments can be found here, check it out! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#True_Neutral) (scroll down a bit for the descriptions)

Ha, wonder how many of us here are Chaotic Neutral. (I've never actually played D&D, but it applies to my console gaming habits)
I'm strongly chaotic neutral.

deadmau5
03-04-13, 08:43 PM
What I actually show other people seems to be a relatively good person, but down deep I don't consider myself one at all.

eclectic beagle
03-06-13, 02:33 AM
Not really, though that isn't a healthy way to think. Oh well.

Unmanagable
03-06-13, 03:23 AM
I consider myself a good person who continually struggles with making choices.

We're all our own worst critics and it took me a long damn time to see myself as good.

Some days I still feel pretty worthless, but it passes, usually.

My past would probably be defined as anything but good by many people.

But, I made it this far, and damn sure learned (and continue to learn) many lessons along the way.

Trying to stay aware of my needs while not unintentionally causing harm to others has been one of the most challenging.

sarahsweets
03-06-13, 05:09 AM
I think I'm pretty nice f**k off's and all.

salleh
03-06-13, 08:49 AM
I am a good person ....more to my friends and strangers who cross my path, I forget to do things for the community ...rarely occurs to me .....

...I have thought about being a big sister but I am not much of an example for a young person ....other than to act as a warning ....'don't do this !" I don't think the organiztion would want me .....same for girl scouts....

ThomasElliot
04-06-13, 07:11 PM
I know I am. I'm actually so much so that it hinders me in situations sometimes. i.e. this horrible breakup I went through, I did everything this girl asked of me, and she treated me like complete crap throughout the whole thing. I certainly wouldn't do the things she threatened me with or the stuff she said to me.

I want the best for people. I'm constantly trying to find ways to help each other. I generally try to have a happy go lucky/positive attitude about things.

I put others interests before my own (something I am struggling to change right now).

Now I've had plenty of mistakes in my past. Screwed over plenty of people. Treated people less than they deserved to be. I've done things that I am not exactly proud of. But that's life, you can't expect to live everyday like a saint and you are kidding yourself if you think you can.
So me being a good person comes with a fair amount of growth and understanding of myself as well.

For anyone that doesn't think they are a good person, my question is why? What have you done to think that?
Are you responsible for someone being homeless?
Do you steal your co-workers food?
Do you run over old ladies crossing the street?

I'm curious as to why you take this stance with yourself.

icarusinflames
05-07-15, 04:27 PM
I'm afraid to say I'm a good person or you'll think I'm a narcissist. So I'll just say "uhhhh...what was the question?" lol

Fuzzy12
05-07-15, 04:29 PM
No, I'm not. It sucks and I often wish I was a better person but maybe that isn't my fault either. Maybe being a crappy person is as much inborn as is ADHD. Or probably it is my fault.

Abi
05-07-15, 04:30 PM
Nope.

I am a selfish person. I like it that way.

bldt
09-05-15, 04:44 PM
I was checking some psychological tests and found myself with this unique question: Do you consider yourself a good person? I kept on thinking about this for hours and hours and finally came to the conclution that "No", I don't consider myself a good person. But I'd love to know what you guys think about yourselves.

And this question is general, resuming your whole life and all those small detalles you have about your personality, do you consider yourslef a good person?

Today? Yes. But I reserve my right to change my mind tomorrow.

bldt
09-05-15, 05:29 PM
All kidding aside from my last post. It's very subjective.There are many people I don't care for, but I still consider good people.What would the definition of a "BAD" person be anyway?I think most people try to be the best person they can be with the hand they were dealt.At least thats the way it is, and seems for me.

Greyhound1
09-05-15, 05:35 PM
Being a good person I feel, mainly involves one's motives. Whether they screw up or are successful, the motive or intention is what counts to me. Like the phrase about gift giving "It's the thought that counts" is how I look at it.

Based on motives and intentions, I consider myself to be a pretty good person. The older I get the better I become.

My motives used to revolve mainly around me when I was younger. The older I get, the more I enjoy helping others and doing good things. Many times, I go overboard and neglect my own needs.

Pilgrim
09-06-15, 05:41 PM
Nope.

I am a selfish person. I like it that way.

I'll second this. I'm not a gullible person either, but I'm as loyal as hell. You want me on your side trust me.

Gilthranon
09-07-15, 04:10 AM
Pure evil - as long as I say this no one can accuse me not being the kind guy I'm not hehe

Good, bad ? Can I be human and be both ? I've done some questionable things and very kind things. You decide, either way I like me, most of it anyway

daveddd
09-07-15, 09:21 AM
simple answer- no

aeon
09-07-15, 01:06 PM
I don’t saddle myself with such labels, and I don’t judge other people with them either.

Good and bad are reserved for evaluation of preferences, experiences, utility, and so on, not people.

Cheers,
Ian

Smashachu
12-23-15, 06:18 PM
The fun thing i find with social psychology, particularly with self analyzing. Is that frequently they're WRONG. If you look at criminals particularly murders, you'll find they are perfectly content with overlooking the social taboo of murdering human beings.

They will often justify it for various reasons. Which i find to be fascinating.

As far as what i think of myself, yeah i think i'm a good person. Infact i go out of my way to try not to offend people, even if i have to take a hit for the team and look bad.

At work, i'm the nicest guy you'll meet, but at home do i sometimes get lazy and not do what my girlfriend asks? Sure.

I'm great at customer service, but not great at being a boyfriend. So i'll leave this up to you to decide.

midnightstar
12-23-15, 07:46 PM
I personally have trouble believing that I'm a good person because for nearly a year I had it driven home to me irl (by an ex) and every time I saw my biological father that I'm a bad person then that idea was reinforced on two forums (not this one), add into that all the guilt tripping I put myself through about my disabled boy cat Dylan (who I will miss forever) and I think you can see why I struggle to think of myself as a good person.

BellaVita
12-23-15, 10:01 PM
I don't label myself as "good" or "bad" and have always found it strange when people do so.

Adenosine
12-31-15, 05:04 PM
Generally, I consider myself a good person.

If you want to put it in RPG or nerdy board game terms, (some may get it, some may not)
I'd call myself Chaotic Neutral

The complete list of alignments can be found here, check it out! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#True_Neutral) (scroll down a bit for the descriptions)

Ha, wonder how many of us here are Chaotic Neutral. (I've never actually played D&D, but it applies to my console gaming habits)
I'm strongly chaotic neutral.You know, I was just about to use that as my answer, but I didn't think anyone would know what it meant. And then I read the whole thread. :p

If we attempt to apply that system to real humans, I think most of them ultimately score as either Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil. So much tribalism.

anonymouslyadd
12-31-15, 05:09 PM
Yes. :)

mctavish23
12-31-15, 05:15 PM
Yes :eek:

In closing, let me also add my mantra of "I'm Robert. Deal With It." ;)

U R Welcome :cool:

InvitroCanibal
01-08-16, 06:07 AM
Whenever I come to questions like that, I break down the words by definition.

Good, means "Whole" and evil means "void."

So am I a whole person? or an A-whole person?

Well whole comes from the word "Hail" which means to attract attention or to cheer. To have these qualities I'd have to have a cheerful/good disposition to consider myself a good person. But disposition means a "tendency to."

So basically, the question is asking "are you a generally cheerful guy/girl?"

Am I good person?

I would say yes but I'm still an A-whole.