View Full Version : Why do I hate exercise?

The Letter N
01-21-13, 10:35 PM
Before I started working out, someone once told me, "You'll hate exercise, but give it 6 months and you'll love it!"

That began me changing my lifestyle. I began regularly exercising at least three times a week.

It's been over two years since I've started exercising and I hate it just as much as my first jog. Of course, I've definitely improved, I'm getting stronger, and I've lost weight, but it's never fun. Is this an ADD thing or is there something I can do to make it enjoyable?

My workout usually involves 30 to 40 minutes of cardio followed by about 15 minutes of strength (push-ups, sit-ups, etc.). I like to vary the exercises to avoid boredom, but I still hate that hour workout.

I've heard that contact sports are good, but I can't (or won't) for several reasons: (1) I have very few friends, (2) the friends that I do have are middle-aged, don't exercise, are too busy, or a combination of the three, and (3) I'm not coordinated (though this usually doesn't stop me).

Sorry for the winded post. I'm out of breath myself. Any advice?

Phoenix Ash
01-22-13, 12:31 AM
I hate exercise, too. It is my one big nemesis that I just cannot seem to make myself do, ever. I've come to the conclusion that whatever endorphins are supposed to kick in and help me enjoy exercise just... don't. I never feel that "runner's high" or any of that. I have no idea if that's related to my ADD or not.

The only form of exercise I've ever been able to do for longer than a few weeks is rollerblading, back when I lived in a place that was conducive to it. That at least offered variety and a pretty setting to help me enjoy it and not get so easily bored.

I do love dancing, but don't have anyone to go with these days and I feel like an idiot just dancing in my living room.

On those rare occasions I do manage to get on an elliptical for awhile, a great playlist on my phone helps, and/or Pandora to help with the variety factor.

I really want to get a treadmill desk set up so that I can at least walk while I'm online. I think that would be a really great thing for my health and my mental state.

Oh -- here's an idea, what about tennis or something? You could try meetup.com and see if there's a local group looking for members. I know people who have had success that way.

No matter what, I applaud your ability to keep exercising regularly all this time!!! I wish I could do that!

starry
01-22-13, 01:23 AM
I hate exercise, because I get bored to death doing it.

I need constant brain stimuli, or I get so bored, it's maddening.

The only exercise I enjoy are dance classes. Mainly because I'm trying to memorize the moves and then perform them, so it keeps my mind occupied while I'm working out.
And I kinda like the stationary bike, since I can read magazines while I'm on it.

crystal8080
01-22-13, 01:57 AM
Do you exercise by yourself? I go to a class, its always the same girls so its social time too. I don't mind exercising in front of people doing the same thing as me. And this group of girls enjoy it so its kinda contagious, its fun. Our instructor is always making up new routines, and its challenging enough that you meet little goals along the way. Being able to do a certain exercise you couldn't do before. Not just doing the modifications. I find the harder I push myself the better the workout and I never get bored.

starry
01-22-13, 02:08 AM
Do you exercise by yourself? I go to a class, its always the same girls so its social time too. I don't mind exercising in front of people doing the same thing as me. And this group of girls enjoy it so its kinda contagious, its fun. Our instructor is always making up new routines, and its challenging enough that you meet little goals along the way. Being able to do a certain exercise you couldn't do before. Not just doing the modifications. I find the harder I push myself the better the workout and I never get bored.

I do group exercises too, but find them boring too. The socializing would be fun but no one really does much of it, since it's a big gym and there are always people who are waiting for the new class once ours ends, so we all rush out of the room so their class can start.

mrs. dobbs
01-22-13, 02:51 AM
I love exercise and hate exercise.

Hate it when it's boring, or when I have go out of my way to do it.

I love dance classes. Hate when they get too hard!!!

I love to have to learn and remember easy routines & really great music.

Hate Zumba! Love Samba!

Hate workout/dance videos.

Love hiking. Hate what hiking does to knees.

Love beginner fencing. Hate what fencing (in my case, slapping and poking people with a pointy object) does to knees.

Love 'slap fighting' all the fun and exercise of boxing, none of the skill, strategy or injuries! Just a bunch of red marks. Hate that no one wants to 'slap fight' with me, lol.

Hate exercising in my apartment, gets too hot, claustrophobic and lonely. Feel stupid because my husband is just watching me. He hates exercise.

My biggest problem with exercising is dizziness and vertigo. I get this awful pressure and dizziness feeling in my head!!!

Second biggest problem is guilt over extra laundry & multiple showers in one day. Stupid, I know.

Thanks for bringing up inline skating, would love to try it with a jogging stroller!

One thing is for certain, I have to have the right music.

ana futura
01-22-13, 03:07 AM
You have to find something thing that appeals to you. I can't exercise just to keep in shape - it won't work and I'll get bored.

For me that means doing something outdoors- cycling, hiking, XC-skiing. Jogging bores me. I like to mix things up, I'll get bored if I do the same thing all the time.
If I'm stuck indoors I prefer weightlifting.

My joints are a bit too old for it now, but martial arts are a lot of fun.

crystal8080
01-22-13, 03:31 AM
I do group exercises too, but find them boring too. The socializing would be fun but no one really does much of it, since it's a big gym and there are always people who are waiting for the new class once ours ends, so we all rush out of the room so their class can start.

Ugh I would find that boring too. You need to find something more intimate where there is more sharing. But something challenging.

Could you find a smaller club? I have heard really good things about Crossfit. Everyone treats each other like family, encouraging each other to finish their workout of the day (WOD) I don't have one where I live. Or a Zumba class? You could join a running club. I think doing it with a group of familiar people would make it a different experience than doing it solo. And of course you could find all that with a sport. That is the appeal of sport isn't it? Challenging and intimate.:yes:

SquarePeg
01-22-13, 04:28 AM
Like others have suggested, there are many ways to exercise and you need to find an activity that suits should. I need great music and ideally other people to enjoy exercise (I like to look at fit guys as well!!) I need to constantly change my activity and try new things. There are so many, yoga, pilates, cardio funk, step, salsa dance or zumba. Also martial arts type classes like fight box. I love funky step classes, mini trampoline clases. I hate spinning and jogging.
Join a centre that offers a variety of classes including in the monthly membership. That way, no week will be the same. (I have met 3 boyfriends at the gym and
married one of them).
Go walking or hiking, volunteer dog walking for a local shelter.

starry
01-22-13, 04:41 AM
Ugh I would find that boring too. You need to find something more intimate where there is more sharing. But something challenging.

Could you find a smaller club? I have heard really good things about Crossfit. Everyone treats each other like family, encouraging each other to finish their workout of the day (WOD) I don't have one where I live. Or a Zumba class? You could join a running club. I think doing it with a group of familiar people would make it a different experience than doing it solo. And of course you could find all that with a sport. That is the appeal of sport isn't it? Challenging and intimate.:yes:

The smaller gyms or classes are expensive though. The big gyms often offer some great deals and have everything I need under the same roof. Except, people aren't social there. You rarely see the same people every time you go. In a way it's good though. No one bothers you either, lol. I mean, not everyone is cool. Lots of creepers out there.
Usually the people who take group classes seem ok though.
There's some weird tension usually in the weight rooms. A lot of those guys look a bit angry or something lol.....ridiculously buff and constantly pumping more iron.

Zaashy
01-22-13, 04:43 AM
I can't do steady state cardio like jogging, I get bored.

But I am addicted to metal, I love lifting heavy weights. I can't wait to go to the gym.

tudorose
01-22-13, 05:39 AM
You've gotta do something with purpose. Like ride to work. There is a reason - A to B. Sure there may be times that you hate it but then you'll smile when you see all the people stuck in the traffic or packed in like sardines on an overcrowded train.

tipoo
01-22-13, 09:40 AM
Try listening to music or an audiobook to keep your mind from wandering.

I find getting into the gym is the hardest part, when I'm at home I just want to stay home, but once I'm in the gym I work pretty well. Just keep getting in there.

stef
01-22-13, 10:11 AM
I hate it, I hated gym class, it just makes me feel uncoordinated, stupid and bored.
Except for walking, I don't mind at all.
I enjoy swimming but I hate going to the pool (the locker room etc, ugh).

LordranBound
01-22-13, 10:33 AM
I've exercised all my life - played sports since I was about 6. I've always hated exercise, practice, the whole thing. It takes me so much mental effort to do it, and I'm never satisfied with my performance. Even (american) football which I loved, I hated practice so much that I would start dreading August two-a-days in June.

This year I had the longest stretch of consistent running I've ever had in my life. And aside from one or two runs, all my brain did while I was running was bitc# and moan: You want to run how much farther? C'mon, we'll never make that. This is pointless anyway, you'll never be consistent. You're this tired at X miles? Imagine if Y saw how pathetic you were. She's run 5 marathons for gods' sake.

And on and on. And while I'm running I can't spare any extra effort to monitor my self-talk. And so I talk myself into the ground. Runner's high? Yeah right, I get runner's depression.

I lifted weights for a long time. Perhaps because it's only bursts of effort then a couple minutes of rest. I was able to be consistent with it. But I never liked it.

The Letter N
02-10-13, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I tried Tango at school and loved it! The only problem is that dance classes and groups cost money (and moneys really tight for me now). I have no friends who are into exercise, either, so I usually just end up jogging alone.

I do listen to music, really the only thing that keeps me going. Maybe I should mix it up, though, with something like a sermon or audio book so that I don't realize I'm jogging.

And ana furura, I'd recommend doing cardio AND weight-lifting. Cardio is really where your physical health is wrought; from what I heard strength training multiplies your calories burned throughout the day (as well as makes you look buff!)

Anyone know of any site to find good free audio books (legally, of course)?

ana futura
02-11-13, 12:38 AM
And ana furura, I'd recommend doing cardio AND weight-lifting. Cardio is really where your physical health is wrought; from what I heard strength training multiplies your calories burned throughout the day (as well as makes you look buff!)

Honestly I can only maintain interest in one thing at a time. My weight/physique is not a big concern to me. I'd like to weight-train more, because I love feeling strong, but I usually go through spurts with it. Most of the time it bores me- if something more fun is an option (something with speed like cycling), forget it. I can get into it sometimes though.

I usually just do things to have fun, and not being a complete weakling is a bonus. Walking is the about the only thing non-fun I can force myself to do regularly- but I usually walk for transportation.

sarahsweets
02-11-13, 06:59 AM
I have found that zumba or yoga works for me because the moves get changed up often so I dont get bored. Plus I am learning how to shake my as* pretty good in zumba.

Nibs91
02-11-13, 10:52 PM
It's all about the results....atleast for me that's the case. Once I started noticing definition and cut lines on my body (which I have never known or seen before), I go harder/faster/stronger.

It's still a struggle to work out though, and keep up with eating and protein shakes. I'm starting to get some abs which I've always wanted, lol

proileri
03-10-13, 12:34 AM
It's often the simple problem of just finding a fun way to exercise. There's hundreds of physical activities out there, so if you're tried a dozen or so, there's still plenty to try out. The usual problem with beginners is that they are too demanding towards themselves, and don't know how to start slow. This often leads to getting all kinds of negative feelings both physically and mentally - working themselves until unpleasant fatigue, getting their body really sore the day after, feeling not fast/strong/good enough, etc.

Best way to start exercising IMO is to start slow and try to find that comfy, good feeling, and aiming for slow progress. That's what keeps you coming back: feeling good and knowing you build yourself up a bit every time. Every sport and skill is an endurance sport in that sense; no quick way to the top, every person who's good at it has usually spent years to acquire the skills and fitness.

I did a plenty of martial arts a while back, I think I got about 2-3 years total in kickboxing and muay thai, plus a couple of random couple months in judo etc. Classes themselves had a decent structures, doing one exercise for 10-20 minutes at a time or so, which seemed to fit my ADD. However, I've noticed that my mind starts to wander badly after about 60 minutes, and I start looking at the clock on the wall how long the class is going to last - the classes are usually 90 minutes around here, which is one of the reasons why I don't do much of that stuff nowadays. My exercise is mostly gym and jogging/cycling - just because I love to do schedule-free stuff.

Now that I think about it, part of that 60 minute syndrome also might be physical fatigue and low blood sugar. I never ate any sugar during the training back then, nowadays I eat 4-8 grams of sugar (I keep hard mentol candies in my gym bag) per hour while working out. It seems to keep my blood sugar level up and I feel more cheery afterwards. I recommend trying it if you're feeling wasted after a workout.

Grantham
03-10-13, 11:23 PM
Find something you love, then it won't feel like work.

I bellydance, and I loved it. It not only worked out my body but it worked my mind as well as I learned new body awareness and a new way to move.

I actually miss it now that my asthma is so bad I can't exercise. :mad:

BobbyDrake
03-11-13, 01:23 PM
I've found that I can't do as much cardio as you are doing without feeling absolutely miserable afterwards... But man, I feel great after weightlifting. Pickin' up heavy stuff, puttin' it down. It calms me, lets me think and it's fantastic for getting aggression out. Someone ****** me off at work? Time for me to throw an extra 10 pounds on the bar and HTFU.

Again, though, that's what works for me. I can do 10 maybe 15 minutes of cardio without feeling like crap, but can lift for an hour with only a little soreness the next day. Go figure, right?

deadmau5
03-11-13, 01:35 PM
I hate exercise as well! I use to force myself to run and work out back in high school but those days are long gone.

Fuzzy12
03-11-13, 01:58 PM
...because it's boring, mostly unpleasant and the rewards (in terms of health benefits, appearance) aren't immediate.

I love things like walking in the hills, swimming or playing games. I love them for the instant enjoyment and thrill they give me. The gym and similar exercises bore the hell out of me. I just can't do it.

I guess, the trick is to find something that you enjoy doing regularly beyond the long term benefits.

Subtract81
03-11-13, 02:14 PM
I think the delay in benefit is a huge factor for people with ADD.

I struggle with starting exercise but after a great workout i feel pumped and amazing, cardio is much more of a chore, i like to go hard and fast and get out.

Also when you start seeing results, like I have started to see abs, it helps, once you get some momentum and start seeing the positive changes i think it becomes easier, also as you are in physically better shape it becomes easier.

I find music is sometimes a distraction especially radio, it can be too big a risk as the wrong music will mess with my mojo and if i start actually listening to what is being said i will often find i've stopped working out, but the right music can be a real energy boost.

We should have an exercise thread on here for people who are trying to stay motivated, might go and start one up now, or maybe that is an excuse to procrastinate, i should go workout now instead...

proileri
03-11-13, 09:50 PM
Again, though, that's what works for me. I can do 10 maybe 15 minutes of cardio without feeling like crap, but can lift for an hour with only a little soreness the next day. Go figure, right?

It's what your body is used to. I don't think that many people can run at medium speed or do other cardio on their feet for more than 15 minutes without training for it. More bodyweight you have, harder it gets - those people who find it easy are usually either very slim, or do some other sport on their feet. Bicycle takes some of that weight off, so I found cycling was much better for me (I'm around 170 lbs), it's much easier to find a nice medium pace. When I go running it's usually 30 minutes max. and my HR spikes all the time, with a bicycle it's usually 45-60 minutes, sometimes more, and I can keep my HR at mid-range much better.

You can get that great positive post-workout feeling from cardio, too - but usually what it takes is going at a bit slower pace. If you go too hard, you can easily get too wasted to feel the endorphins kick in - so again, it's about heart rate management.

I do think a heart rate belt has made my cardio more fun. Nowadays I use my cell phone with a HR belt to get both HR and GPS data, plus I can save all the workouts and sync them on a server. I find it a bit more fun to use than a stand-alone heart rate monitor. Having all the workout specs also helps with that 'instant gratification' - you can clock the miles and see you've been working on it.

AnythingBacon
03-11-13, 10:29 PM
I absolutely hate exercise. It is so miserable to me. There are a few things I so to stay in shape-ish. The easiest thing was I work at a job that keeps me on my feet and moving all day. It's not cardio, but any movement is good. I also try to find activities that use motion, dexterity and strength. Bowling, Golf (if you walk the course), and hackey sack. Any of them I can do alone or have friends to play with.

Don't doubt the effectiveness of a hackey sack, or the fact that it's a stoner activity. It's fun, challenging, and will work your legs and core hard if you can get a good rally going.