View Full Version : Zinc to the rescue

God Girl
01-23-13, 09:38 PM
I've always had a problem with ADD symptoms which seem to be getting worse as I get older. It really interferes with my job. I have to work extra hard and try to come up with things that will help (checklists, etc.) Recently I started taking 50 mg. of Zinc Picolinate daily, and to my surprise some of my symptoms are clearing up! I don't know if it will help anyone else, but you might want to give it a shot. Be sure to discuss it with your doctor first. I've heard that you should not take over 100 mg. a day. I hope this helps you like it did me!

tudorose
01-25-13, 08:13 AM
If zinc has cleared up your ADHD symptoms one could concur that your problem is not ADHD and actually some other deficiency that is causing the ADHD - like symptoms.

The fact that you talk about only symptoms also suggests that it is not ADHD as this is just as much about a lack of social understanding and being a little odd or socially out of sync with the world.

So please don't come here with 'miracle cures' for a condition which you don't appear to even understand let alone have.

lalapin
01-26-13, 07:11 PM
I'm on meds but I'm contemplating To add zinc on top of it, from what I've read on internet it seems to make ADHD meds more efficient... Why not give it a try?

IronFlem
01-26-13, 07:22 PM
What were your symptoms that cleared up God Girl?

MellyFishButt
01-26-13, 10:53 PM
If zinc has cleared up your ADHD symptoms one could concur that your problem is not ADHD and actually some other deficiency that is causing the ADHD - like symptoms.

The fact that you talk about only symptoms also suggests that it is not ADHD as this is just as much about a lack of social understanding and being a little odd or socially out of sync with the world.

So please don't come here with 'miracle cures' for a condition which you don't appear to even understand let alone have.

I'm sure you didn't mean to come off as harsh as you did...right? Sharing info is part of the reason this board exists. Attacking a poster because she found something that works for her, and attacking her credibility is uncalled for, champ. (Unless there is a history of this poster spouting off falsities...)

lalapin
01-27-13, 01:29 AM
I'm on meds but I'm contemplating To add zinc on top of it, from what I've read on internet it seems to make ADHD meds more efficient... Why not give it a try?

Sorry i meant "more EFFECTIVE" !! Type Zinc and Methylphenidate on google and it's everywhere

dresser
01-27-13, 12:39 PM
I too am lookin at replenishing some of my deficiencys Im shure the neurotransmiter would be able to perform better drawing from a full tank than scrambeling on the bottom of the tank. Iv read where the symptoms of skitsphrenia and pellegra are so close the colud be interchangable and tha pellegra was removed with niacin or b-3 and megga vitamin studies done on recovering alkies showed gret improvements here are some books for referaance=super-nutrition,megavitamin revolution by Richard A. Passwater and megavitamin therapy by Ruth Adams & Frank Murry hope Iv notbroken any rules if so I apologize although this is the 3or 4 post where this controvers has come up. for me when i look at the deficencys of vitamins-minerrals-nd amino acids if therre is 1% that chance that filling those deficency will help my med to do there job then that is 1% I never had. I don not know about yoozz but I need all the help I can get lolololo Its not my intention to offend thank yoozz

MellyFishButt
01-27-13, 12:43 PM

I was spraying cold-eeze (zinc spray) all day yesterday like it was crack and I didn't notice any affect. Let me know if a supplement works! I would love to prolong my XR since it seems to only work about 3-4 hours instead of 12 hours like my pdoc promised. :)

SquarePeg
01-27-13, 12:49 PM
I tried zinc before meds and it didnīt help just made me really nauseous, think I took too much, I took the recommended dosage but looked online and this was a side effect of taking too much.

lalapin
01-27-13, 03:16 PM
I was spraying cold-eeze (zinc spray) all day yesterday like it was crack and I didn't notice any affect. Let me know if a supplement works! I would love to prolong my XR since it seems to only work about 3-4 hours instead of 12 hours like my pdoc promised. :)

I don't know how it works exactly, I think it makes the meds more powerful but it won't give longer coverage... Look on google, but maybe if your meds only last 4 hours it's worth giving your pdoc a call

MellyFishButt
01-27-13, 03:19 PM
I don't know how it works exactly, I think it makes the meds more powerful but it won't give longer coverage... Look on google, but maybe if your meds only last 4 hours it's worth giving your pdoc a call

He knows. I am on XR and I think I might just metabolize it too quickly. I tried dex once it was just TOO POWERFUL at 10mg and the crash was brutal. We are now having me take 2 a day spread out and it's working really well...although I haven't told him that I crush 1/2 of my last dose so it's an IR. I don't think he would appreciate that, but it works perfectly -
i get my last little boost for the day and the XR of the second half dose helps ease into the rebound so I don't crash. Ugh. I should really tell him this, though, huh? Eeek, I'm scared.

lalapin
01-27-13, 03:30 PM
U don't need to, you can just say that now it's much better with 2 xr but you'd still need an additional 3-4 hrs and then he might just prescribe you ir for the evenings. Never say you crush it because he might think you're drug seeking

MellyFishButt
01-27-13, 03:33 PM
U don't need to, you can just say that now it's much better with 2 xr but you'd still need an additional 3-4 hrs and then he might just prescribe you ir for the evenings. Never say you crush it because he might think you're drug seeking

Right?? That's what I am worried about too. My medication doesn't give me euphoria anymore (wow, that one day was nice, sigh...), but I can definitely tell when it's stopped working and it's usually right in the middle of something that I am working intently on, so I crush to maximize the time it takes to react, so that I can continue working. How do I suggest IRs though? Since I am so new I am worried that asking for IRs will appear to be drug seeking. :confused:

lalapin
01-27-13, 04:38 PM
Well since you know how long the meds last you can plan taking the second dose about 45-50 mins before the first one wears off so that way it's there when you need it. You can maybe try settin up alarms for it if you have a smart phone. Btw just to clear things up, IR does not mean it's in your system faster, it just means that you get the whole dose at once as opposed to xr where the med releases small doses throughout the day.

Mogulen
02-04-13, 06:53 PM
I hav benen on dex, ritalin. For Me zink is must if My meditation Will work. And lots of water and Sleep and food in . No. Milk with dexedrine

cillianred
04-26-13, 02:17 PM
There are several ways Zinc supplementation helps ADHD patients, most relevant being that Zinc inhibits the Dopamine Transporter Protein, allowing for higher levels of free dopamine available to the brain's neurons.

More info. here:

10 Ways Zinc Can Combat ADHD
(http://adhd-treatment-options.blogspot.com/2009/04/10-ways-zinc-can-combat-adhd.html)

immabum
04-26-13, 03:48 PM
Some info on ADHD/Zinc mentioned here http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/982.html

Treating attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Taking zinc by mouth in combination with conventional treatment might slightly improve symptoms of hyperactivity, impulsiveness, and socialization problems in some children with ADHD. But zinc might not improve attention span. Some research suggests that children with ADHD have lower zinc levels in their blood than children without ADHD. Other research suggests people with ADHD with lower zinc levels might not respond well enough to prescription medications for ADHD (stimulants). Studies using zinc for ADHD have taken place in the Middle East where zinc deficiency is relatively common compared to Western countries. It’s not known if zinc would have the same potential benefits when used for ADHD in people from Western countries.

BMJ article mentioning benefits & also to keep in mind excess zinc and potential interference with copper absorption.
http://www.bmj.com/content/325/7372/1062

Truckload of zinc info...itemized by levels of evidence.
http://naturalmedicinejournal.com/article_content.asp?article=205
-For the men--->probably wise to read up on zinc &prostates --higher doses can exacerbate BPH, and the risk of prostate cancer is kind of a toss up. Some studies showed increased risk...others decreased. Zinc is highly concentrated in the prostate tho...so there likely is a relation.
As always...its a balance!

Asylum
04-26-13, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know if taking zinc can help if you're not medicated?