View Full Version : About to begin the 504 process ...again

ishcah
01-25-13, 11:34 AM
When DS was in 2nd grade, we attempted to get an IEP. He was denied because he was basically too smart (his grades were not "poor" enough). We considered holding him back (his b-day is right before the state cutoff), changed our minds, started looking into a 504, and then we moved to a different school district.

Fastforward to 6th grade, and I have an appt with some lady in the school district today to "start the ball rolling" on getting a 504. Anyone gone through this? How long did it take? Any drawbacks?

I think we waited this long because his previous 3rd/4th/5th grade teachers, all made accommodations for him without us even having to request any. His current teacher will not make any exceptions, even though I have asked.

e.g. She docked his grade when he forgot to put his name on his paper. She finally stopped doing this after about 10 times (she basically gave up). She won't let him skip/adjust his spelling homework (about 1-2 hours/wk), even though he aces the tests each week without studying (last year's teacher did this). I'd prefer him to spend homework time on other subjects, where he does need help. She gives oral pop quizes to the whole class. He fails them miserably because he has CAPD mixed in with his ADD.

He starts Middle School next year and I'm seriously concerned he will fail because of his "absentmindedness".

sarahsweets
01-25-13, 03:18 PM
2 of my kids have IEP's 1 has a 504. Honestly, a 504 has not done very much for my daughter without me being a behind the scenes bulldog. Here in NJ, they HAVE to implement any and all accomodations in a reasonable amount of time (asap) or they get in trouble. With a 504 I have found that I have to track everyone down, find out whats working if its being done etc. My daughters 504 also doesnt manadate in class support from an aide. Now someone else gets that support and the aide helps her anyway but its not in her 504. My other kids have appropriate modifications, accomodations,support therapies everything they need for success. Grades have nothing to do with adhd so good thing that stupid school is out of the picture. These are just my experiences and might not be your laws.

ishcah
01-25-13, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately, DS' grades are suffering significantly due to his ADD. He has received penalties for turning things in late and for not putting his name on his paper. His homework demands are more than he can handle, so virtually everything is late. He is constantly "losing" assignments.

I believe since it's a Federal law, all states have to react the same way. I was told this morning, they could have it in place within 3 wks, but I imagine it will have to be tweaked regularly (in particular next year when he heads off to Middle School).

Ms. Mango
01-25-13, 05:57 PM
My understanding is that states have to, at the very least, meet the federal guidelines. They can do more--some states do.

To Sarah's point; it's unfortunate that your school didn't want to take steps to help your DS until he's floundering. The point of these programs is to help students succeed academically and not wait until the student is in jeopardy of failing. Grades aren't supposed to play as big a role as some school districts would like you to think. When academic performance doesn't match up to ability, the child needs help. Even a bright kids getting decent grades.

There are sites on the web like Wrightslaw that can give you more about the law in general and also point you to information about your state's resources.