View Full Version : Christopher Gillberg on ESSENCE

Fortune
01-25-13, 06:48 PM
ESSENCE = early symptomatic syndromes eliciting neurodevelopmental clinical examinations. In this case, refers to autism and ADHD, but also several other disorders he mentions in the video.

This video talks about the importance of early diagnosis and treatment, as well as the importance of identifying other problems since many of these diagnoses tend to travel together - if you have autism, you will probably have at least one other diagnosis, probably two or more.

I especially like these points from the video:

* Girls are drastically undiagnosed and misdiagnosed with multiple other problems, and Gillberg thinks that the ratio is closer to 1.5:1 boys:girls. This is in reference to multiple diagnoses - including ADHD - and not just autism.
* That if a parent brings a child in for something like hyperactivity, it is probably worth looking into instead of dismissing it (as happened to my mother and myself when she took me in for some of these issues)
* That early diagnosis nearly always helps.
* That children with anxiety and depression should be checked for neurodevelopmental problems, and that they are more likely to be present in such cases
* Emphasis on autism not being the sole diagnosis, and putting effort toward identifying other problems (epilepsy and ADHD, for example)
* "You can't say he'll grow out of it. There is no indication whatsoever that children grow out of these problems without help in any large proportion at all. A small proportion yes, but more than 90% presenting with one of these problems as an impairing problem before the age of five will have a major problem five years down the line if you don't do anything about it."

I put this video here because it focuses on autism, but there is some discussion of ADHD as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfSlZqe-iik&NR=1