View Full Version : ADD, Addiction and Impulse Control?

ireland381
01-27-13, 12:58 PM
I've been struggling lately with impulse control and wondered if anyone has experienced the same thing and found any solutions...

I know ADD brings with it an increased propensity for addiction... I've always struggled with smoking myself. But for a while I've noticed a kind of non-specific "craving" feeling; my ADD and depression have been bad lately but so often I find myself just wanting some kind of "fix"... not even necessarily cigarettes, but just something to feel better (generally physically but sometimes just my mood in general) for a short time. I have other habits and my therapist brought up that I seem to often have a need for instant gratification, and it seems to line up with the general impulse control issues from ADD.

I find myself constantly fighting the urge to smoke, have a beer, wishing I had some percocet left over from my back injury, eating lots of sugar, even impulse shopping (damn you, Amazon!).

I know my adderall isn't working like it used to, but I don't have an appointment with my pdoc for a while to find something new. But has anyone experienced this and found something (medication or otherwise) that helps calm the "urges"? I've read that for people with an addictive personality, it can be a life-long struggle to fight this kind of feeling, so I'm really hoping there's something that can give me some relief!

dresser
01-27-13, 02:48 PM
I smoked and chewed for a long time I quit both the chew was harderr than the smoke but with the smokin it was all to do with emotions I started = to be 1 of the crowed (acceptance) and multiple emotional resons did I see after I quit. playin in dartt tourny when smokin I would have to have hesitated to step to theline and at least roll a smoke Presure? insecure? so I looked n found nd most i could do somthing about. give it a try this workedd for me thanks for listening sta well

MellyFishButt
01-27-13, 03:16 PM
I've been struggling lately with impulse control and wondered if anyone has experienced the same thing and found any solutions...

I know ADD brings with it an increased propensity for addiction... I've always struggled with smoking myself. But for a while I've noticed a kind of non-specific "craving" feeling; my ADD and depression have been bad lately but so often I find myself just wanting some kind of "fix"... not even necessarily cigarettes, but just something to feel better (generally physically but sometimes just my mood in general) for a short time. I have other habits and my therapist brought up that I seem to often have a need for instant gratification, and it seems to line up with the general impulse control issues from ADD.

I find myself constantly fighting the urge to smoke, have a beer, wishing I had some percocet left over from my back injury, eating lots of sugar, even impulse shopping (damn you, Amazon!).

I know my adderall isn't working like it used to, but I don't have an appointment with my pdoc for a while to find something new. But has anyone experienced this and found something (medication or otherwise) that helps calm the "urges"? I've read that for people with an addictive personality, it can be a life-long struggle to fight this kind of feeling, so I'm really hoping there's something that can give me some relief!

I get this way too. After an entire lifetime of self-medicating with the above tactics, it's a really hard habit to break. My pdoc prescribed me valium and it completely works. Sometimes I take a quarter of it and that 'edge' to do something, anything, to get out of my head is reduced. It's the gaba control that you're looking for. I know that a lot of people say that benzos are highly addictive but I have NEVER run out of mine and because they're not 'fun' drugs, I can take them or leave them. I really only use them when I get that urge to do something dangerous - like self-medicating. Yes, it's trading one for the other, but I found that with me once I started using valium to control that type of urge, the urges happen less frequently even though I don't really take it that much. I might take a total of 2 tabs a week, maybe.

Look into it.