View Full Version : SNRI (cymbalta) and ADHD Symtoms?

RegulateThis
01-30-13, 01:02 PM
My doctor becomes instantly tense when I mention ADHD, I've asked for a referal but there are a couple caviets about that.

I looked up all the medications that could possibly be used to treat ADHD symptoms, I was pretty sure she would go for the unscheduled Modafinil, but it would be a pretty off label use so I could see why that was nixed pretty quick.

She is in love with my depression, and will throw anything at it that she can so the idea of a SNRI popped into my head as she would prescribe that even before I ask.

I was on effexor but as I recently read, not enough to even get to SNRI effecting levels, I was on maybe 100mg at most, I think you need to be over 200mg before SNRI effects kick in ... but I'm prone to be wrong.

Cymbalta is all the rage these days and from what I understand a very powerful SNRI with some SSRI action also. I'm wondering if anyone is onnit with or without ADHD meds, and if it has any effect on your main ADHD symtoms like concentration, motivation, energy levels etc.

Also how is it working with your depression?

-=RegulateThis=-

hollywood
01-30-13, 10:05 PM
I have taken cymbalta and it helped with regulation as well as stop worry completely . Yet fatigue sets in and it's pretty obvious . Is there any serotonin meds that don't mess up or increase adhd and fatigue ?

silivrentoliel
01-30-13, 10:22 PM
i take zoloft, which is an ssri, along w/ my adhd meds. when taking concerta, the zoloft made me massively lethargic... moreso than normal. w/ the vyvanse, i don't see it killing my energy levels any more than they normally are :) (i'm a sloth)

hollywood
01-30-13, 10:51 PM
Why are you a sloth? Adderall prevents fatigue it seems. Problem is adderall doesn't help me focus at all

RegulateThis
01-31-13, 12:36 PM
I have taken cymbalta and it helped with regulation as well as stop worry completely . Yet fatigue sets in and it's pretty obvious . Is there any serotonin meds that don't mess up or increase adhd and fatigue ?

Any additional fatigue would almost make me catatonic. Worry seems to be my only motivator these days also, not a great motivator but I'm taking whatever motivation I can get these days.

I've been on most of the early 2000's SSRI's alone and as adjuncts, and none have done much for my depression, they have helped with the anxiety however. I found I would become carefree on them? I had trouble seeing the consequences of not finishing a project or other actions. So things wouldn't get done, and I would get more depressed, each "failure" would compound my depression. I'm off anti-depressants at the moment and I honestly don't know what to think, if they do much for me or not.

i take zoloft, which is an ssri, along w/ my adhd meds. when taking concerta, the zoloft made me massively lethargic... moreso than normal. w/ the vyvanse, i don't see it killing my energy levels any more than they normally are :) (i'm a sloth)

Zoloft is the last of the early 2000 SSRI's that I haven't tried, my doctor is really pushing this one for it's anxiolytic effects and hopes that it might do something for my depression.

Really don't like the lethargy aspect of it though. I'm going to read the product info sheet when I get motivated :).

Why are you a sloth?

Nice tact ;) but actually yes, I'm pretty sloth like these days.

Adderall prevents fatigue it seems. Problem is adderall doesn't help me focus at all

I'd really like to try the stimulants, still trying to get an ADHD assesment, It's going to take 8 months or so to get in to see a pscyhiatrist with health insurance. Being a "sloth" has made working very difficult over the past few years so I need to wait on Canada's health care system to catch up with my possible ADHD.

Do you find anything helps with your focus?

silivrentoliel
01-31-13, 04:00 PM
Why are you a sloth? Adderall prevents fatigue it seems. Problem is adderall doesn't help me focus at all

I've always been very hypoactive, I have bouts of energy, but they are few and far between... rather than calling myself a couch potato or something else... I find sloths cuter and funnier than a potato :)

RegulateThis
01-31-13, 04:13 PM
I've always been very hypoactive, I have bouts of energy, but they are few and far between... rather than calling myself a couch potato or something else... I find sloths cuter and funnier than a potato :)

I can't even remember when I had energy last, it feels as though every muscle is weighed down. I did get out today though, so yes, I'm more sloth than potato :).

RE: Sloths Sloths were always my favorite animal, my partners too, I wonder if sloths hold some appeal to people with ADHD traits.

-=RegulateThis=-

mosostow
01-31-13, 07:07 PM
I take Cymbalta only for ADHD and it works great for all the symptoms.

Although it seems to work only at really high levels as that's when the norepinephrine reaptake kicks in stronger than the anti-depressent effect.

60 mg worked for a while but became less effective after a couple of months. then I upped it to 90 mg and same thing happened. Finally, I moved to 120 mg and now it's been stable for over three months, so it looks like it's the right dose for me.

I'm very focused and have a lot of energy.

Lunacie
01-31-13, 07:44 PM
Zoloft doesn't make me tired, maybe that's because I take a small dose?

I take 50 mg every morning.

The p-doc has almost encouraged me to go up to 100 mg,

but it's working at 50 with no side effects so why mess with it?

What dose were you guys taking that made you so tired?

RegulateThis
01-31-13, 09:31 PM
As I say to my partner all the time now "Sorry, I'm having an ADD moment". I totally missed the first reference to sloth and thought you were calling me a sloth witch seemed to lack tact ... but you weren't saying that ... my bad.

Regarding cymbalta, sounds like it works like all other psych meds, it all depends on the individual. I was really hoping for a silver bullet that works for everyone 100% of the time, which just doesn't exist. I should probably hold off until I talk to someone literate in adult ADHD before signing up for more trial and error.

I love how my past two doctors call my medication regiem "trial and error". So far it has been all trial and all error. Don't mind me, just in a "mood".

-=RegulateThis=-

hollywood
02-01-13, 01:45 AM
Yeah , it's okay , but yes I never called anybody a sloth. I asked a question regarding feeling like one. People really should read better. I am pretty dead on smart and I think we all are , but anyways no offense taken . That being said cymbalta works but I am stuck with hen generics so I cannot get it. I pass on Effexor , I don't like the million reviews that state to not take it . I guess it's lexapro

silivrentoliel
02-01-13, 04:47 PM
Zoloft doesn't make me tired, maybe that's because I take a small dose?

I take 50 mg every morning.

The p-doc has almost encouraged me to go up to 100 mg,

but it's working at 50 with no side effects so why mess with it?

What dose were you guys taking that made you so tired?

I take 50mg, but it's not working well at the moment... when I first started, I took it in the mornings and I was exhausted all day. I now take it at night.

RE: Sloths Sloths were always my favorite animal, my partners too, I wonder if sloths hold some appeal to people with ADHD traits.

Don't know... my best friend is obsessed with sloths and isn't ADHD.

RegulateThis
02-07-13, 07:04 AM
You're right, people should read better ... Alas, not my strong suit. Thanks for understanding.

Re: Zoloft, i might end up going that way, the anxiety pains in my stomach are really distracting and make every situation seem like it's an anxious moment.

Wonder if whoever is making cymbalta is looking to get it approved fot adhd? That would be a decent indicatication as to the the possible effacicy of cymbalta in treating adhd.

rT