View Full Version : Still can't concentrate

Zaashy
01-30-13, 02:05 PM
Need some advice,

I'm on 0,5mg Risperdal and 20mg Citlapram.

I still can't focus on anything I try to do. Upside though I'm no more in pain.
Would upping my Risperdal make any difference?

I'm a brilliant guy and I know that but I got no way of expressing myself and I feel more and more like a failure every passing moment.

Raye
01-31-13, 07:18 AM
Have you talked to your doc about increasing or changing your meds?

Zaashy
01-31-13, 08:24 AM
Have you talked to your doc about increasing or changing your meds?

Not yet, looking for people who have similar symptoms. I will definitely speak to my doc. Doctor are not sharp where I'm from, here it's penicillin for everything.

I try to speak to people and apparently I need change my mindset and overcome "bipolar disorder" with positive attitude and not meds.

Fuzzy12
01-31-13, 09:05 AM
Not yet, looking for people who have similar symptoms. I will definitely speak to my doc. Doctor are not sharp where I'm from, here it's penicillin for everything.

I try to speak to people and apparently I need change my mindset and overcome "bipolar disorder" with positive attitude and not meds.

Is that what your doctors have told you??? :eek: You can't overcome bipolar disorder with a positive attitude. I've tried for ten years to overcome depression and I couldn't. If this is the level if ignorance among doctors what hope is there for the general population to understand? :(

Zaashy
01-31-13, 09:26 AM
Is that what your doctors have told you??? :eek: You can't overcome bipolar disorder with a positive attitude. I've tried for ten years to overcome depression and I couldn't. If this is the level if ignorance among doctors what hope is there for the general population to understand? :(

My family and friends believe that bipolar is something I made up and I need to change my mindset. Awesome. My doctor gave me citlapram at first then I had to complain about my moods. Finally gave me risperdal. Now the citlapram makes me edgy and I still got no concentration. I went off the citlapram and was not edgy anymore but still no concentration.

t o m c a t
02-01-13, 11:17 PM
I have a BP dx too. I've never been on a BP drug that has helped me with my chief complaint, that being poor concentration. In fact, aside from Ritalin and Klonopan, I've never been on a psych drug that did anything positive.

Idiota
02-02-13, 06:04 PM
I don't have a BiPolar dx because my psychiatrist thinks that mania can be induced without having BiPolar disorder. However, because I've had mania in the past I can't get ADHD medication.

PQLICE
02-04-13, 01:18 AM
@zaashy- Are you even bipolar 1 or 2 DX? I wouldn't be on a atypical antipsychotic if you didn't have to be (especially if only bipolar 2) the side effects are horrible. 0.5mg Resperidone at that dosage would only help anxiety, not so much mood stabilization. 20mg citalopram is no better than taking vitamins. Those dosages are to low, IMO... Mania and severe depression cause lack of sustained attention, distractibility, and increased impulses. Stabilize the mood before going after diagnosing for ADHD. Upping resperidone will make you more tired, manage mood/psychosis, and decrease impulsivity. Citalopram is pretty useless, and only half the potency of escitalopram for reference, and it will not help with ADHD. My fathers families side believes the same thing, doesn't work.

@Idiota Mania (psychotic) or Hypomania (not psychotic)? Bipolars are usually put on wellbutrin and strattera first for ADHD symptoms; there not psycho-stimulants. Only after exhausting those options should a psycho-stimulant be tried, and after bipolar mood is managed/stabilized. If bipolar 1 a atypical antipsychotic, mood stabilizer and then psycho-stimulant.

sarahsweets
02-04-13, 05:22 AM
@zaashy- Are you even bipolar 1 or 2 DX? I wouldn't be on a atypical antipsychotic if you didn't have to be (especially if only bipolar 2) the side effects are horrible. 0.5mg Resperidone at that dosage would only help anxiety, not so much mood stabilization. 20mg citalopram is no better than taking vitamins. Those dosages are to low, IMO... Mania and severe depression cause lack of sustained attention, distractibility, and increased impulses. Stabilize the mood before going after diagnosing for ADHD. Upping resperidone will make you more tired, manage mood/psychosis, and decrease impulsivity. Citalopram is pretty useless, and only half the potency of escitalopram for reference, and it will not help with ADHD. My fathers families side believes the same thing, doesn't work.

@Idiota Mania (psychotic) or Hypomania (not psychotic)? Bipolars are usually put on wellbutrin and strattera first for ADHD symptoms; there not psycho-stimulants. Only after exhausting those options should a psycho-stimulant be tried, and after bipolar mood is managed/stabilized. If bipolar 1 a atypical antipsychotic, mood stabilizer and then psycho-stimulant.

I am BPII and have been on geodon, an antipsychotic for almost 5 years and it works brilliantly.

Zaashy
02-04-13, 06:42 AM

Bipolar 2, Risperdal has completely stop the pain. I'm in no more agonizing pain. "Mania and severe depression cause lack of sustained attention, distractibility, and increased impulses" you can also add motivation to that list.

The risperdal has stopped the racing thoughts, and the conversations with the people that are not there. I'm much more calm and the citlapram allows me to get out of bed. Now I just need something to get me working again, because I'm getting frustrated and depressed all at the same time because of it. I been getting frozen alot trying to do anything that require concentration. I also skip words when I type and I over calculate when working with numbers.

Zaashy
02-04-13, 06:44 AM
I am BPII and have been on geodon, an antipsychotic for almost 5 years and it works brilliantly.

How is your concentration levels?

sarahsweets
02-04-13, 06:53 AM
Well I also take adderall for adhd so its pretty good. During a cycle though all bets are off.

PQLICE
02-04-13, 11:38 AM
@sarahsweets That's good. I just personally wouldn't be on a atypical anti-psychotic for bipolar 2 because of side effects. Have you ever had any psychotic symptoms or what symptoms is the geodon for?

@zaashy- Thats good, I used to have racing thoughts. Conversations with people not there? Talking to yourself? That's not good bro. Motivation is something you personally have to decide to do, I don't use adderall (or any drugs) for motivation. Try vitamins, I use Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Omega 3, B Complex, Multi vitamin and Ginkgo biloba. Sleep 7+ hours. Eat at 3 certain times everyday. Try to concentrate for 20 min, take a 5 min break. Repeat. Use a reward system for motivation.

Zaashy
02-04-13, 12:02 PM
@sarahsweets That's good. I just personally wouldn't be on a atypical anti-psychotic for bipolar 2 because of side effects. Have you ever had any psychotic symptoms or what symptoms is the geodon for?

@zaashy- Thats good, I used to have racing thoughts. Conversations with people not there? Talking to yourself? That's not good bro. Try vitamins, I use Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Omega 3, B Complex, Multi vitamin and Ginkgo biloba. Sleep 7+ hours. Eat at 3 certain times, everyday. Try to concentrate for 20min, take a 5 min break. Repeat.

I felt like the fog was lifted after a week on risperdal, I didn't hate myself so much. I am a gym rat so I already do most of those things. I will try the concentration thing but generally I go of to a different planet. The worst is when people catch you having conversation with yourself, then I just start singing a song.

Idiota
02-08-13, 06:22 AM

Mania. I was really euphoric and grandiose. I made some really awful financial decisions and engaged in risky behavior. I thought about suggesting straterra to my new psychiatrist since I live at home now, but it's kind of twisted if I have to explain it to him. I made it clear that I have a cognitive issue, but because I went to a prestigious university, he's not accepting it. He said it's just the depression and I know I haven't been majorly depressed for the entirety of my existence.

I fell into major depression back in 2011 after it started becoming clear to me that what I was actually turning in was crap and I couldn't get anything higher than a B+ in my upper division classes. That meant I was kind of up ****'s creek without a paddle post-graduation. I went for psychiatric treatment and started realizing my general lack of focus and weak working memory throughout my life could be attributable to a neurological problem. I was prescribed citalopram, but the Uni psych staff wouldn't trust me on the ADHD or give me an assessment. I couldn't go doctor shopping either.

That was summer and fall 2011. I became progressively manic in the winter and was manic until around May 2012 when I sunk back into depression.and thought I could turn everything around. I was also doing cogmed because I couldn't get any help for my ADHD from the Uni psych staff. I thought it was the cogmed causing my brain to feel different and that I had overcome my issues because I had so much energy. I was able to pump stuff out at times while I used to struggle getting things done on time. It was an illusory feeling apparently and that didn't pan out when my grades at the end of the semester were worse than ever. I had also submitted an essay for a contest in my field and I thought "this distinction is going to be my ticket out of my situation. I'm finally making it."

I had to take two classes in the summer to graduate and became majorly depressed again. I knew I was pretty ****** after graduating, and after months of flailing in terms of getting any kind of employment, I went to a psychiatrist and he only wanted to prescribe mood stabilizers.(goes back to paragraph 1). He said the same thing about stabilizing mood, but my mood is "stabilized," but I still feel like **** because I have amounted to nothing and am a leech.