View Full Version : Crossfit was made for people with ADHD!

TheNarrator
01-31-13, 06:24 PM
If you have never heard of or tried CrossFit you need to check it out. I is Constantly Varied (which is perfect for ADHD) highly intense (also perfect) functional movement. Look around your area for a CrossFit gym, the best workout ever and it's fun! Something you can get obsessed about!

www . crossfit . com or goto the map to find a gym (affiliate) near you!

I am a crossfit coach and I have ADHD! (just found out 2 weeks ago) :)

dvdnvwls
01-31-13, 06:56 PM
I am pudgy and mid-40s with a plentiful lack of exercise. Will I fit right in, or do I need to do some pre-training to go to something like this?

Footsore Ramble
01-31-13, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I've always thought crossfit sounded fun b/c of the variety involved. I might give it a try once I finish the weight training program I am currently doing. I have always wanted to learn how to do Olympic lifts!

ana futura
01-31-13, 10:49 PM
As someone who has permanent injuries from over-exertion, I think cross fit is actually an awful fit for people with ADHD. I really don't know my limits, and I frequently push myself too far. In an environment like Crossfit, an attitude like mine can lead to serious injury.

I do best and stay healthiest in a very structured workout routine. Crossfit is as unstructured as can be.

Of course not everyone with ADHD is as undisciplined as I am. If you have a solid athletic background, are responsible, and know what you're doing, then I could see how Crossfit would be awesome.

I am pudgy and mid-40s with a plentiful lack of exercise. Will I fit right in, or do I need to do some pre-training to go to something like this?

It depends on the cross fit studio, but I really would not recommend it. You need to learn proper technique for lifting first. If you trust yourself to take it easy, not get competitive, and ask a lot of questions, then you might do okay.

I can never trust myself not to get competitive in an athletic setting. This seems to be a common problem for people who have issues with impulsivity and hyperactivity.

dvdnvwls
01-31-13, 10:53 PM
Just be careful.

As someone who has permanent injuries from over-exertion, I think cross fit is actually an awful fit for people with ADHD. I really don't know my limits, and I frequently push myself too far. In an environment like Crossfit, an attitude like mine can lead to serious injury.

I do best and stay healthiest in a very structured workout routine. Crossfit is as unstructured as can be.

It depends on the cross fit studio, but I really would not recommend it. You need to learn proper technique for lifting first. If you trust yourself to take it easy, not get competitive, and ask a lot of questions, then you might do okay.

I can never trust myself not to get competitive in an athletic setting. This seems to be a common problem for people who have issues with impulsivity and hyperactivity.
OK thanks - program is not for me at this time. I trust myself with all those things, but I don't know lifting technique and would really be turned off by a competitive environment.

ana futura
01-31-13, 11:08 PM
OK thanks - program is not for me at this time. I trust myself with all those things, but I don't know lifting technique and would really be turned off by a competitive environment.

I'm not sure that you'd find it to be a competitive environment- I can get competitive in yoga class. I frequently have to race past 10 year olds and seniors on the bike path. I'm a jerk.

The vibe I get from Crossfit is about as competitive as a martial arts studio- it's competitive if you make it competitive. I simply can't trust myself not to get competitive.

If you learn proper form first, or find a crossfit studio that is really big on proper form, I think you'd be okay.

crystal8080
02-01-13, 02:37 AM
I think there is a difference between being competitive with others and being competitive with yourself. The key is to do as many exercises as YOU can do. Forget about everyone else, cause they aren't thinking about you. They are working on their own personal bests.

You do as many exercises as you can with proper form. Then you try to beat yourself. I would do it if I had a gym closer to me. I have a friend who started doing it, she has always been a thin girl, had 3 kids and was looking even thinner. She couldn't do much at first but kept at it and has gained so much muscle and that little girl is now a volunteer firefighter. And she has never been the most focused girl. Does she have ADHD? I don't know. But its possible.

ana futura
02-01-13, 03:02 AM
I think there is a difference between being competitive with others and being competitive with yourself. The key is to do as many exercises as YOU can do. Forget about everyone else, cause they aren't thinking about you. They are working on their own personal bests.

Yeah, both approaches have proven injurious to me. It's really hard for me, because I do get the most motivation and see the most improvement in a group setting- I am just such a dumbazz about it. I am getting a lot better about keeping my nose in my own business, but I am still 1000 x better at maintaining proper form and not killing myself when I'm home alone. Having other people around both motivates and distracts me.

I was really considering joining a cross fit gym for a while, then I realized I would totally give myself a hernia.

I guess for me a huge part of the appeal of a gym like crossfit is the competitive element. Ah, I'm ridiculous.

dvdnvwls
02-01-13, 04:30 AM
I am out-of-shape enough that the possibility of my competing with anyone other than myself is valid only for a laugh. :(

Drewbacca
02-02-13, 03:49 AM
I think that ana futura, lover of all things cycling, agrees that fitness is a great way to deal with ADHD; I certainly do.

Unfortunately for her, some of us are more accident prone than others! :giggle:

But, your fear is noted. I'm not one to push myself beyond what I am capable (which drives my on/off gf who happens to be a fitness instructor bonkers... slowly but surely says this turtle).

TheNarrator
02-02-13, 08:49 AM
Some good points. Yes as with martial arts it depends on the facility, but most (CF gyms) are very good about proper technique. Of course if you get the vibe they are not properly focusing on good technique find another location. Yes, pudgy and middle aged are encouraged. A proper "box" gym will ramp you up slowly and scale the workout to your ability. As far as over doing it, you should also be properly held back by said good trainer, of course if you are scaling the workout and using proper technique it's much harder to over do it.

ana futura
02-03-13, 12:04 AM
Some good points. Yes as with martial arts it depends on the facility, but most (CF gyms) are very good about proper technique. Of course if you get the vibe they are not properly focusing on good technique find another location.

Hmmm, this was not my impression, I thought there wasn't much guidance.

How much trainer guidance/ intervention do you find in a typical CF gym? I really need my hand held...

crystal8080
02-03-13, 02:02 AM
As far as I understand from my friend, there is a lot of help. Its a small gym, a bit expensive, but the people treat each other like family. They even bring the kids along to watch and hang out on the sides, out of the way of course.

Of course every gym is different, and I have no idea what other Crossfits are like, but I think the general moral of the story is go in for a trial. See how other people are working out, is it safe, is it friendly, are you comfortable. Is there a huge member turnover, or have the same people been going for years? What are they like? Are they nice, or do they look down on you?

I can't say enough about my little class I go to. It has everything I need. I would be so bored to work out with a bunch of people I don't know or by myself.

Mr Digital 01
02-03-13, 04:49 AM
I just got back form a 6km walk/run with a friend. I find it so much easier to exercise with other people. You don't notice the exertion because you're chatting away and don't notice.

I did notice an incredibly dry mouth and thirst (probably the dex?) I drank water before, during & after the run & was still so dry. I pushed myself too hard at the end and I was huffing & puffing or over 20 mins. Phew. Feel good now though. Smoking doesn't help.

I really respond well to exercise, it kicks up my metabolism and definitely improves my physical & mental sense of well being.
But at the moment I just cannot motivate myself to do it alone. I'll keep trying.

Mr Digital 01
02-03-13, 07:41 AM
Most of the time I'm very Cross
I am rarely Fit... for anything

FreewayFlyer04
02-05-13, 12:25 AM
Thinking about joining the cult. Several folks at work involved, and I need to do something, but those I know that go to the box are very evangelistic about it.

awdcivic
02-07-13, 01:20 AM
I tried it first time today and didnt really like it ended up hurting my shoulder and back cause they push you way to hard. Also they dont have a vast selection of weights so like today they had barbell bent over rows which I already know destroys my back but I did it anyway. When I have a gym I have so many more options I dont have to do something that hurts me. Id rather separate cardio and weights that way I dont get hurt. Plus idk just didnt like crossfit that much. Id rather swim and go to the gym.