View Full Version : Gabapentin for ADHD

ampakine
02-01-13, 02:54 PM
Does anyone else find that gabapentin alleviates ADHD symptoms?

alan1
02-02-13, 03:07 AM
No. I had to take this at very high dosage for a while (3,000 mg/day in divided doses) for an unrelated problem. If anything, it made focusing more difficult. That is when my doctor added methylphenidate to my Strattera so I could function. I am on a related drug now (Lyrica). No noted benefit for ADHD with that either.

scatteredgirl
03-13-13, 03:17 PM
I am trying to use it to self-medicate right now, it wasn't prescribed for it but for better sleep but I'm trying it during the day to ease the restlessness and the constant jumping around from thought to thought. With caffeine it clears my head and the caffeine can work better. It's definitely easier to do things, relaxed and alert at the same time. But it does decrease cognitive functions and the memory in a worrying way.

Taken alone, it'd probably be counterproductive. And the forgetfulness can be flat out scary, specially if you have that mental anxiety of forgetting everything all the time because of how much is in your head all the time :D

In a way, though, being on it is the opposite of ADD for me. Instead of too many thoughts in my head there is clarity. I am trying to balance the calm and clarity with some legal stimulants and am hoping to find a combo that works :)

deadmau5
03-13-13, 03:19 PM
NO! gabapentin only made things worse for me

dogluver358
03-13-13, 04:31 PM
That medicine made me talk and think like a drunk person. I was slurring my speech, and I had that rare side effect of it making me suicidal when I was perfectly fine until I took it. Don't think it would help with ADHD, I was taking it for fibromyalgia. I couldn't think straight on it. If anything, I would say it made ADHD symptoms worse. It's been touted around as a pill for a whole host of conditions...though I haven't heard ADHD. That's new to me.

known_guy
03-14-13, 08:44 PM
I agree with the above. The "drunk person" thing in particular. If anything, Gabapentin (and Lyrica) made my ADHD worse. I think there's a good reason why the nickname "Morontin" is used to describe the effects of Neurontin (brand).

FocusPocus10
06-12-13, 05:29 PM
I agree with the above. The "drunk person" thing in particular. If anything, Gabapentin (and Lyrica) made my ADHD worse. I think there's a good reason why the nickname "Morontin" is used to describe the effects of Neurontin (brand).

Lamictal doesn't slow you down but lyrica does? You sure?

known_guy
06-12-13, 10:26 PM
Mm, in a separate thread I addressed/noted concerns I have regarding impairment that Lamictal causes as well. But we're not talking about Lamictal here...

Anon E. Mouse
06-12-13, 10:32 PM
I'm currently taking Gabapentin for nerve pain so I can sleep. It does help me sleep, but my ADD is considerably worse.

oneup
06-12-13, 11:35 PM
I agree its good for sleep and ok for pain but bad for any thinking.

Drogheda
12-09-13, 04:34 AM
I take this on and off for anxiety. my pshyc and I went through a lot of different things before coming to this idea.

for ADHD I'm not so sure, sense I take it off an on I really don't tally it but never saw a decrease, maybe actually probably an increase because it would aleave the anxiety of "doing what you are supposed to".

however socially this thing is a wonder drug. 1 300 and my anxiety is mostly gone for the day. I don't do it all the time because I'm trying to get in control of my anxiety on a more cognitive way but when I really need to shine (or anxiety is really bad that day, we all have them) I just pop one now and another in 4 hours and my social anxiety is almost completely gone.

it sure beats the hell out of taking benzo's

Lizzie80
12-11-13, 01:01 AM
I take Lyrica (stronger version of gabapentin), one every night. And I do find it sort of helpful for ADHD, though I'm tall, heavy-set and have a very high tolerance for medication. One 300mg capsule in the evening relaxes my brain and body, but oddly also can give me energy to go wash dishes, get groomed for bed, etc. I guess it works because I have fibromyalgia, inattentive ADD and a particular genetic or brain chemistry that allows this. My thinking is still pretty clear on it, but I feel less anxiety and the inner chatter shuts up on Lyrica. I have heard, though don't have any studies to back it up, that Lyrica has a Valium-like effect on the brain. Some people do use Lyrica to minimize benzo withdrawal, so this could be true.

It is useless for motivation towards studying or anything where a lot of memory is needed. Lyrica can also cause water retention and massive weight gain. Withdrawal from it is horrid for some people, too.

JohntheGrey
01-21-14, 08:41 PM
While it's not for ADHD, it tempers my Adderall doses quite nicely. Someone mentioned Lamictal, Gabapentin was Rx'd for me in place of Lamictal and it makes a nice mood stabilizer to take the edge off at lower doses. I have RLS pretty severely and GABA obliterates those symptoms altogether. If you ever get the urge to research ADHD and RSL you'll find the are often co-morbid.

LaineRut
01-04-16, 12:43 PM
It really makes mine worse! I cannot focus and wondering if an ADHD stimulant will help me function while I take gabapentin.

AnxiousLapras
01-06-16, 10:31 PM
I take it right now. Its great as a neuropathic pain and tension headache relief medication. It is *GREAT* for social anxiety but it makes you really stupid as well. For example I have made around 10-15 spelling errors typing out this message. Not recommended with the context of treating ADHD but amazing if your priority is treating nerve pain.

BenHawkins
02-11-16, 03:56 AM
I take Lyrica for ADHD related anxiety. And it does help. Lyrica is a more potent cousin of gabapentin (pregabalin).

lalalashazam
07-24-16, 07:15 PM
I've been taking gabapentin for about 2 years. I was prescribed ( 3 x 300mg a day) to me after I was diagnosed with epiiepsy My neurologist wasn't sure I really needed it--I've had at most a dozen seizures in my whole life. I find it helps to soothe the 'wired', unpleasant feeling I often get from stimulants. It's as effective as benzodiazepines to calm mental and physical over-arousal, it helps me sleep and yet it seems utterly non-addicting. I doubt I could tolerate stimulants if it weren't for this. [Before I was diagnosed with epilepsy, my former G.P. had me on Wellbutrin because he would't prescribe major stimulants to an adult. He refused to prescribe the clonazepam I had been taking for years because, according to him, it "turns the brain into Swiss cheese". I really doubt that prevented him from prescribing it systematically to the elderly patients who made up the bulk of his practice. He was the kind of inept, in-it-for-the-money a--hole who just hands you the same pre-written prescription as last time even before you've had a chance to sit down. The epilepsy was a blessing in disguise.]

Anchor Sapien
07-29-16, 08:25 AM
Hello, new here and looking for feedback on gabapentin because I have begun taking it. In advance of bloodwork results and a mental health evaluation to determine if something else is more appropriate. My first bloodwork came back with possible low thyroid, but that puzzled doc a bit since I'm thin and energetic. Gabapentin—not sure how much it's helping thus far, but it doesn't feel like it's doing anything unintended to me. Have only been on it for less than a week, but I'm on my 3 times per day dosage after a slow but rapid ramping up. I do feel like it might be helping me to be more who I can be, but of course much more feedback from my own body is needed. Thanks for this discussion.

Laserbeak
07-29-16, 01:22 PM
Like I said in the other thread, I don't find a difference between Gabapentin and a sugar pill.

Anchor Sapien
07-30-16, 12:30 AM
I should also say that I *have* noticed it affecting me in a physical sense, just not strongly yet and not in a negative way. Whether or not it's affecting me in a mental sense, I cannot yet say.

adhbee
03-14-17, 01:27 PM
I've been taking 900mg of Gabapentin for anxiety since last October.. No effects on the ADHD from personal experience, but it's really hard to tell if it's actually helping my anxiety either. No side effects, so at least there's that.

JakeH99
06-25-17, 07:36 AM
In today's world, one cannot rule anything out really with 100% certainty, but for ADHD, it might help only for various types of subclasses of "ADD" that fall under ADHD. So, to answer question, it might help mitigate some of the effects of the ADHD symptoms, but does it treat it...I am not certain. I have been on 300 mg 3x/Day of Neurontin and I don't feel it is helpful in regards to 'concentration/focus' but could definitely help alleviate anxiety. I was on Gabapentin/Neurontin for years so I'm very familiar as it comes in 100's and 300's correct? I know medicines extremely well and am very well educated on medicines and their uses (off-label and primary uses).

fathom6
08-05-17, 03:26 AM
I have been taking gabapentin for few days. I feel:

- its like being drunk. Very difficult to concentrate.
- difficult to walk straight. difficult to walk down stairs.
- anxiety. Yes, it beautifully takes it away.

But is it all worth it ... I am going to make a decision soon.