View Full Version : So which ssri helps anxiety and doesn't increase adhd

hollywood
02-02-13, 11:30 PM
So which ssri works best for stopping anxiety and not screwing up adhd

Snowhound
02-07-13, 07:28 AM
I have been on Zoloft for quite some time, I'm actually weening off it now and replacing with Wellbutrin. The Zoloft has worked well with Adderall XR for myself, treating both PTSD and ADHD without interfering with eachother. But everyone is different.

dasikins
02-15-13, 12:55 PM
I have heard Celexa and Lexapro

hollywood
02-18-13, 01:38 AM
Celexa and lexapro well hearing of them is so awesome . That's so fantastic ! Oh yeah what was it that you heard . Hit your actual point up and reference it in your post . Anyways how do you groom your husky so well ? I have had two and now have a malamute and a husky . Malamutes are way
Better . My mal is 170

starry
02-18-13, 04:58 AM
Sadly all SSRI's seem to interfere with the ADD meds and cause the brain to produce less dopamine. As a result of this, one feels less of the motivating effects of the stim and more and longer of the anxiety and crash effects of it.

I posted this recent study and its findings in another thread here yesterday.

BellaVita
02-18-13, 07:55 AM
Lexapro is by far the best SSRI I have tried for my anxiety. I have not experienced being on an SSRI that doesn't affect my ADHD in some way, however this one seems to cause the least noticeable negative affects on my ADHD.
I'm ADHD-C, btw. And have tried quite a few SSRI's that didn't quite make the cut for me.
Hope this helps. :)

starry
02-18-13, 08:21 AM
Lexapro is by far the best SSRI I have tried for my anxiety. I have not experienced being on an SSRI that doesn't affect my ADHD in some way, however this one seems to cause the least noticeable negative affects on my ADHD.
I'm ADHD-C, btw. And have tried quite a few SSRI's that didn't quite make the cut for me.
Hope this helps. :)

I'm glad it's working for you :)

It is said that Lexapro is the purest form of SSRI available at the moment and is known to work really well, when taken alone.
Unfortunately it also causes the highest "flat effect" when taken together with stimulant type ADD meds, due to creating a larger dopamine depletion in the brain.

Are you taking an ADD med as well as the Lexapro?

BellaVita
02-18-13, 09:23 AM
I'm glad it's working for you :)

It is said that Lexapro is the purest form of SSRI available at the moment and is known to work really well, when taken alone.
Unfortunately it also causes the highest "flat effect" when taken together with stimulant type ADD meds, due to creating a larger dopamine depletion in the brain.

Are you taking an ADD med as well as the Lexapro?

That's interesting. For me the Lexapro(10mg) has been superior to any other SSRI I've tried. However, it is the only SSRI I've taken while on a stimulant.

Hmm.

I do agree that it seems to blunt some of the effects of my ADHD medication, but more so in a positive way. To explain that better, it significantly lessens the anxiety that was amplified when on stimulants, although it has seemed to have slightly dulled some of the positive affects of the medication as well. In my case, the slightly dulled affects are preferable to being anxiety-ridden (as was prior to the Lexapro) and thus rendering the ADHD medication useless.

When in conjunction with ADHD meds it creates a dopamine depletion? Are there studies linked to this issue?

Yes, I take adderall(IR). :)

Fuzzy12
02-18-13, 10:07 AM
For me, all anti depressants worked wonders with anxiety. I can't feel anxiety anymore even when I want to.

I've been on Sertraline and two SNRIs: Venlafaxine and Duloxetine.

I'm not sure about ADHD like symptoms. The anti depressants definitely didn't help but I'm not sure if they made things worse. :scratch:

MellyFishButt
02-18-13, 11:36 AM
Yup starry hooked me up earlier. My XR doesn't 'come back', I get an initial onset and then its starts going bye bye. I compensate with ir and still have really good anxiety control though!

hollywood
02-18-13, 09:18 PM
You state that ssris lower da and prolong more crash anxiety ? That's interesting ? I can mostly agree , yet I am considering low dose for social anxiety ?? Wouldn't low dose prozac be the best option due to its lack of selectivity ? I was totally flat on lexapro and celexa sucked

tudorose
02-18-13, 09:21 PM
Toffranil assists to manage the ADHD symptoms. My HFA son has been on it plus dex since 2001.

I take a small does of Luvox (1/4 tab). Takes the edge off the anxiety. Any more than that gives me a stomach ache.

deadmau5
02-18-13, 09:26 PM
Have you tried abilify? abilify worked really well for me when I was taking it. I stopped when I started taking adderall, but now my psychiatrist wants me to go back on it

hollywood
02-19-13, 12:32 AM
Why don't more docs rx toftanil?

starry
02-19-13, 12:50 AM
That's interesting. For me the Lexapro(10mg) has been superior to any other SSRI I've tried. However, it is the only SSRI I've taken while on a stimulant.

Hmm.

I do agree that it seems to blunt some of the effects of my ADHD medication, but more so in a positive way. To explain that better, it significantly lessens the anxiety that was amplified when on stimulants, although it has seemed to have slightly dulled some of the positive affects of the medication as well. In my case, the slightly dulled affects are preferable to being anxiety-ridden (as was prior to the Lexapro) and thus rendering the ADHD medication useless.

When in conjunction with ADHD meds it creates a dopamine depletion? Are there studies linked to this issue?

Yes, I take adderall(IR). :)

Looked for the links again, but couldn't find it. I posted it in one of the threads, but can't remember which.
I'll try to remember to add the info to this thread when I find it again.
It was a government study and link about the effects of SSRI's causing apathy, lack of motivation due to interfering with the dopamine receptors (blocking them or something like that) during the process of releasing more Serotonin.

So someone with ADHD, taking an SSRI and stimulant would still feel an improvement in their ability to focus, but would feel less "motivated" and "creative" than they would had they been taking the stim alone - since those are the effects of a dopamine release/influx in the brain.

hollywood
02-19-13, 01:14 AM
Toftanil ? Any good for anxiety

sarahsweets
02-19-13, 07:24 AM
hollywood, you and I have discussed the benefits of cymbalata and SNRI I have had good luck with it.

hollywood
02-19-13, 11:22 AM
My insurance is generic rx only now

tudorose
02-20-13, 11:28 AM
Toftanil ? Any good for anxiety
yes that's why they use it for autistic kids (in my region).

hollywood
02-21-13, 02:01 AM
Totally . Like furr surrrrre , BUT HOW!

curxxx
03-24-13, 12:39 PM
I've been on Cipralex (Canadian version of Lexapro) and Vyvanse for a few months now, and I don't think Cipralex has lessened the benefits of Vyvanse :)

hollywood
03-25-13, 12:06 AM
I don't know, every time I think of a decision then I see something like this . Seems alot of people do take celexa or lexapro with good results . I honestly don't know which would be best . ( celexa , Prozac , cymbalta )

DistractedGoat
03-25-13, 12:08 AM
I've had good luck with Celexa.

I had terrible luck with Paxil.

YMMV.

hollywood
03-25-13, 12:18 AM
Yeah I think prozac was alright . Cymbalta was probably best

MellyFishButt
03-25-13, 12:30 AM
I've had good luck with Celexa.

I had terrible luck with Paxil.

YMMV.

We must share similar brain chemistry. Hated Paxil, loved lex.

hollywood
03-25-13, 12:54 AM
This is kinda my post dog so we really aren't talking about celexa and Paxil . The topic is what choice I am making doooooood ( dude ). I can't recall what my results were for cymbalta vs celexa or Prozac . I am pretty certain that I had less fatigue with cymbalta than the ssris

evilfeline007
03-25-13, 10:30 PM
lexapro 10mg at night resolved anxiety without the brain fog (also take ritalin)

DistractedGoat
03-25-13, 10:34 PM
We must share similar brain chemistry. Hated Paxil, loved lex.

I've been wanting to try lex, I'm told that for people who Celexa works well in, Lexapro often works better....

Unfortunately, my doctor has a thing about antidepressants.. He does not like prescribing them. He's been trying to get me to quit the Celexa, so I doubt i'll be able to convince him to switch me to Lexapro.

hollywood
03-26-13, 12:18 AM
I don't know, I think lexapro made me pretty loopy

MellyFishButt
03-26-13, 12:26 AM
I've been wanting to try lex, I'm told that for people who Celexa works well in, Lexapro often works better....

Unfortunately, my doctor has a thing about antidepressants.. He does not like prescribing them. He's been trying to get me to quit the Celexa, so I doubt i'll be able to convince him to switch me to Lexapro.

Why does he want you to quit?

DistractedGoat
03-26-13, 10:32 AM
Why does he want you to quit?

He's very conservative, medication-wise. He suggested that since Adderall has anti-depressant effects, and I was taking Celexa for wintertime depression, that I should think about quitting it. Its true that Adderall seems to help my mood, and decrease my anxiety.. But, it doesn't last the whole day. I usually don't take Adderall on the weekends, either.

So, I cut the Celexa from 20mg/day to 10mg/day, at his suggestion, just to see what would happen. On days that I skip on the Adderall, I can definitely start noticing some of my anxious thoughts returning. Not enough to be truly distressing, but I really don't like the crazy stupid things my brain invents for me to worry about.

So, I plan on mentioning these things to my doctor and see what he says. He's a good doctor; I like him a lot. He just doesn't really like prescribing medicine unless he feels its really necessary.

hollywood
03-26-13, 10:33 AM
Hey bud I am the op and that's not the topic

DistractedGoat
03-26-13, 10:42 AM
Sorry, meant no offense. I'll avoid posting in your threads in the future.

hollywood
03-26-13, 10:50 AM
Not trying to be rude bro . It's just pulls the thread off topic. I get it . We have adhd

hollywood
03-27-13, 09:19 AM
I don't like this stuff or any serotonin meds . I took one night of cymbalta . Barely any and it's really strong . It really is a crazy pain killer for physical pain . My body is numb , weird

G252013
04-01-13, 12:36 PM
I don't like this stuff or any serotonin meds .

You've finally come around

Boom

MellyFishButt
04-01-13, 03:39 PM
"Bro"....my sincerest apologies for pulling your thread off topic. I'll make sure never to ask about anybody's personal experience with the OP in your threads ever again. Actually, I'll just refrain entirely.

411JONES
04-27-13, 04:46 AM
Hi there...I am new to this forum....I have been struggling with a death of creativity,inspiration ,drive....I am very grateful for your insight about ssri interactions with A.D.D. med.s:I have been so flat and disinterested in a Prozac rut!!I saw my Dr. this afternoon and confessed the whole fatigued,anhedonia sp?and fears that Ritalin wasn't working anymore......8yrs. Anyway he prescribed Focalin xr a baby dose I ve learned here and the low l felt such low octane ,the dose will be increased I hope.Ok...the point is thanks to your shared wisdom I have a new hope,inspired....I didn t really get the way my Dr. responded to my fears about stuck,sluggish symptoms.Your input however ,very informed,clearly exceptional awareness ;)I am rambling,ok.....thank you.
:thankyou:

Asylum
04-27-13, 06:52 PM
None of these meds have helped me, so I don't use them anymore. I spent years hearing 'just try one more,' but after awhile I realized I was just on a useless roundabout. I know each med is a bit different, but they're all in the same family. I just don't respond to them - most of them made my anxiety worse and gave me terrible side-effects.

Miss Steph
05-16-13, 11:50 AM
I have general anxiety with occasional panic attacks. I took paxil for years then came off of it, took nothing, then went on Lexapro. I was on low dose lexapro and didn't feel it was working as well. It controlled the IBS that I had from anxiety but not the other symptoms. My GP increased the dose and then I went into a total brain fog. Also, as a side note, if I went out and drank i would get very sick the next morning. I switched back to paxil and my symptoms are better controlled without brain fog and hangovers. I take vyvanse for adhd.

janiew
05-16-13, 01:14 PM
P-doc prescribed Zoloft 50mg for anxiety and I'm one week into it. Don't know if it's placebo but it seems to help with the anxiety already.

Magicwithin
05-16-13, 05:46 PM
None of these meds have helped me, so I don't use them anymore. I spent years hearing 'just try one more,' but after awhile I realized I was just on a useless roundabout. I know each med is a bit different, but they're all in the same family. I just don't respond to them - most of them made my anxiety worse and gave me terrible side-effects.

Hi mate.

Just wanted to keep up your hopes...
Have you tried anything else than SSRI? I presume you referred to that since these meds were the main discussion in the thread and are mainly the ones that people refer to as antidep.

Have you tried an SNRI? or SRI?

If you don't respond to those - just like my mother - you can try Tricyclic antidep. These are the "oldschool" type of antidep and they are prescribed mostly when "all other types" of antidep has already been tried. They are usually more powerful and more people respond to them - in one way or another. They do, however, have many more side-effects ... but that shouldn't stop anyone IMO, just give it a go and yep... change if its too bad vs the benefits. Us ADDs are anyway "doing drugs"... well, Ritalin and Amphetamines :o

Anyway.. My mother has also been through YEARS and YEARS of different antidep, painkillers, anxiety meds etc. The most helpful she ever found was tricyclic antidepressants combined with CBT*.

*CBT is proven in some proper research to be MORE EFFECTIVE than SSRI. Check this awesome (as is the whole series) of free yale courses for the source... she mentions it when speaking of SSRI.
http://youtu.be/rW79ZwDPKsY

Good luck!

TO THE THREAD:
I've tried quite a few before finding some 'good' meds. I tried both Escitalopram and Sertraline and the latter was probably the best for me, very "mellow" and not heavy, didnt fog the mind too much, and didnt kill ALL emotions. ;)