View Full Version : Incremental Timeboxing application

nebosite
02-03-13, 12:54 AM
I've always used todo lists to manage my ADD at work and at home. This has been helpful, and about two months ago my todo lists got turbocharged when I learned about incremental time boxing. Timeboxing has changed my life!

I want to share an app I wrote for PCs that automatically converts a todo list into an incremental timeboxed list with progress bars and alarms. Here's a link (It's free): http://ericjorgensen.com/TimeBoxer.html

Here's how I use it:

Go through my todo list and sort items into these buckets: "Urgent", "Today", "Easy", "Interesting", "Soon", and "Later"
Take the items in the top four buckets and arrange them so the shortest items are first
Copy this list into the timeboxer application and go!

In just a couple of minutes, I'll have a few easy items checked off my list and this usually gives me motivation to keep going.

Anyway, I'd like to welcome people to try out the app and let me know how they like it. I'm also happy to entertain feature requests.

-e

sarahsweets
02-03-13, 07:01 AM
This looks really promising, I hope it can become an app for android someday.

mrs. dobbs
02-03-13, 07:09 AM
Thank you!! Am going to try it out right now.

dvdnvwls
02-03-13, 12:22 PM
When I box against time, it always knocks me out in the first round. :(

OK, what is timeboxing? :)

mrs. dobbs
02-03-13, 01:23 PM
When I box against time, it always knocks me out in the first round. :(

OK, what is timeboxing? :)

Hehe.

Eric: Ok, so I have tried this app, and it really helped me get some stuff done. To a point.

I am not yet medicated so I bounce from thing to thing at speeds unstoppable by any kind of application, device, rule, schedule or list. It would have to manage me by the second. Does this app accept fractions of a minute? No but seriously, one minute increments might work.

Then there's all the ADDF in between tasks.

So far, so good though! I've gotten several tasks done with the app's help.

Btw my ADD makes everything seem "Urgent" and "Interesting"

nebosite
02-03-13, 07:08 PM
Does this app accept fractions of a minute? No but seriously, one minute increments might work.

So far, so good though! I've gotten several tasks done with the app's help.

Btw my ADD makes everything seem "Urgent" and "Interesting"

I am glad to hear the app is helping out! I've added the "fraction of a second" feature to my list of items to implement next. Look for an update in a few weeks.

I know what you mean about everything seeming urgent. I think some of that gets better with practice, but sometimes a task that I know has to be trivial seems like the most important thing in the world to me. I'll put everything on hold to just get it done.

KatieB
02-20-13, 01:55 AM
What if the most important things are not the shortest or most fun things? Wouldn't you end up with all the hard stuff waiting for you at the end? I'm real good about getting the short tasks done. It's the boring hard ones that I put off until forever.