View Full Version : Any luck with Wellbutrin?

DropZone
02-05-13, 04:24 PM
Since I stopped taking Strattera my pdoc now wants me to try Wellbutrin. Just wondering if anyone's really had much luck treating ADD with this? I know it's an antidepressant, and that she's just trying all options before resorting to stimulants. Strattera was awful for me so I'm apprehensive about anti depressants treating ADD.

Chosen14u
02-05-13, 10:29 PM
I am going to my pdoc tomorrow to start on this, how was Strattera?

BouCoupDinkyDau
02-05-13, 11:02 PM
I've been thinking about talking to my own doc about it. I hear it can work in concert with Ritalin to increase focus, and also works to lower anxiety.

My Ritalin has become less and less effective for me.

sarahsweets
02-06-13, 06:20 AM
wellbutrin made me feel really agitated. Are stimulants and option for you?

DropZone
02-06-13, 01:49 PM
Strattera had too many side effects for me. It's the first medication I've ever taken that actually gave me side effects. I didn't take it long enough for it to work so I can't comment on effectiveness. I simply couldn't afford to be insanely tired at work while hoping for the side effects to go away, and the medication was far too expensive for me anyways.

I've never taken stimulants but I'm hoping they're an option for me. I can tell my pdoc is simply avoiding prescribing them. I totally understand why but if the Wellbutrin doesn't work and she still won't prescribe one it'll be time for another doctor.

LaMbaL
02-06-13, 01:58 PM
I find Wellbutrin to be quite good, although by itself not fully effective in combating ADD. It does help me feel more energized, outgoing, and in control, which is all great. However it doesnt do much for concentration or focus, and I take stimulants for those.

Still, I strongly feel Wellbutrin is worth it, especially since unlike with stimulants, I hardly experience any side-effects.

DropZone
02-06-13, 02:27 PM
I have been reading a lot of positive things about it so I'll give it a try. Maybe if it doesn't take care of all the symptoms than a mix of Wellbutrin and a stimulant will. I'm on citalopram for anxiety though, that'd be a lot of medication to be taking for my head...

Lizylou84
02-06-13, 09:10 PM
Wellbutrin helps my depression quite well, but does nothing for ADHD. It does tend to make me more agitated at times, especially if I increase the dose. It is activating, so if you need more energy, you might like it. I also find that it potentiates my Adderall, which is helpful. If you have problems with anxiety (which I do), use with caution. It can increase anxiety, but in my case I adjusted ok to it and it's still a good med for me. It hasn't given me any sexual side effects and has even helped me lose a little weight :)

DropZone
02-07-13, 01:26 AM
Weight loss I could use, haha. Finally a side effect that doesn't suck. Anyway, looks like I'll be starting on this Friday. My psychologist wants me to take some tests in 2 weeks. Kinda wondering if I should really be taking something that can potentially treat ADD before I start the tests. Anyone have any opinions on that? I know Wellbutrin doesn't typically kick in right away, but some people see results the first week.

Lizylou84
02-07-13, 04:16 AM
If its for depression issues, I don't see the harm in trying it right away. It started working for me in the first week. Faster than SSRIs, but not as immediate as stimulants.

Snowhound
02-07-13, 07:21 AM
I take 300mg in the morning coupled with 15mg of Adderall XR (just started XR). I have a slew of diagnoses and the combination of the two has helped with many of them (at least I believe so, still weening off of a few others). Focus is back up, agitation down, and lasts most of the day. It too began working within the first week for myself. The first few days I had felt an almost overwhelming sense of happiness and energy, however my pdoc suspects its because she started me on 300mg right out of the gate. Hope it works well for you!

DropZone
02-07-13, 09:00 AM
It's for ADHD. I do not have depression, but for some people it does work for ADD. It effects the same chemicals as stimulants, it's just not nearly as powerful.

surviving63
02-13-13, 11:40 AM
I've been on wellbutrin xl since 2006. It works well keeping the depression at bay, but I can't tell any difference with the adhd. I still can't focus or get much accomplished. I've been on all of the non-stimulant adhd meds (at least to my knowledge) but they didn't work either. Due to high blood pressure the stimulants are off limits to me.

nmatt2189
02-13-13, 09:41 PM
All wellbutrin did for me was make me not hungry which was a good thing because I can overeat because of boredom and food has gotten in the way of me doing certain things before.

FogNoggin
02-14-13, 09:09 AM
What would be better?
a single regular dose of ritalin,
OR,
a single regular dose of wellbutrin.

or

a smaller dose of ritalin AND a regular dose of wellbutrin together?

dasikins
02-15-13, 12:45 PM
I take 300mg in the morning coupled with 15mg of Adderall XR (just started XR). I have a slew of diagnoses and the combination of the two has helped with many of them (at least I believe so, still weening off of a few others). Focus is back up, agitation down, and lasts most of the day. It too began working within the first week for myself. The first few days I had felt an almost overwhelming sense of happiness and energy, however my pdoc suspects its because she started me on 300mg right out of the gate. Hope it works well for you!

Is this still working for you? I am trying this soon I think.

Celphs
02-15-13, 11:25 PM
I have been taking 300mg Bupropion HCL XL once daily for about 6 months now and I have seen tremendous results with little to no side effects. I didn't lose my appetite (semi-unfortunate lol!), the only side effect I can report on is dry mouth but I quench my constant thirst with water and not soda or beer so in my opinion it's a Positive side effect and not so much a negative. Although, if you are far away from anything to drink it might be hell for you. This medication has also helped me quit smoking, it's not a 100% cure for ridding the dreaded smoking addiction but it requires roughly 1/10 the willpower to resist the initial temptation. Best of luck and I hope you have great results!