View Full Version : Courses possibly of interest related to ADHD

Dizfriz
02-08-13, 05:00 PM
These are some courses that I ran across on Coursera that are relevant to the forum. For those interested, they might be worth a look.

Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression July 1st 2013 (6 weeks long) https://www.coursera.org/course/epigenetics

About the Course

While the human genome sequence has transformed our understanding of human biology, it isn’t just the sequence of your DNA that matters, but also how you use it! How are some genes activated and others are silenced? How is this controlled? The answer is epigenetics.

Epigenetics has been a hot topic for research over the past decade as it has become clear that aberrant epigenetic control contributes to disease (particularly to cancer). Epigenetic alterations are heritable through cell division, and in some instances are able to behave similarly to mutations in terms of their stability. Importantly, unlike genetic mutations, epigenetic modifications are reversible and therefore have the potential to be manipulated therapeutically. It has also become clear in recent years that epigenetic modifications are sensitive to the environment (for example diet), which has sparked a large amount of public debate and research.

This course will give an introduction to the fundamentals of epigenetic control. We will examine epigenetic phenomena that are manifestations of epigenetic control in several organisms, with a focus on mammals. We will examine the interplay between epigenetic control and the environment and finally the role of aberrant epigenetic control in disease.

Recommended Background
Some background in biology, and more specifically genetics is recommended.

Synapses, Neurons and Brains March 2013 (9 weeks long) https://www.coursera.org/course/bluebrain

About the Course

Probably the greatest challenge of the “21st century of the brain” is to understand how subcellular and cellular neuronal processes give rise to behavior – movement, perception, emotions, memory and creativity. This course will discuss, step-by-step, how modern molecular, optical, electrical, anatomical and theoretical methods have provided fascinating insights into the operation of the elementary building blocks of brains and, most importantly, how neuronal mechanisms underlie memory and learning processes. We will next discuss why computer simulations are so essential for understanding both neuronal “life ware” and the emergence of networks dynamics (e.g., as in the “Blue Brain Project”).

The course will start by highlighting a few recent brain-excitements, including treating the sick brain via electrical stimulation, recent attempts at “reading the brain code” for brain-machine interfaces, new neuro-anatomical techniques (“Brainbow” and connectomics) and physiological methods (optogenetics) that enables us to record/activate the living, behaving brain at single cell resolution. We will end by discussing emerging frontiers in brain research, including the interaction between brain research and the arts. As an added bonus, several lectures will be taught by acclaimed neuroscientists who are experts in their respective field.

Recommended Background

No background is required.

Pay Attention!!" ADHD Through the Lifespan Mar 18th 2013 (12 weeks long) https://www.coursera.org/course/adhd

About the Course

It is estimated that 5-8% of school-aged children and 4% of adults in the United States suffer from some form of attention deficit disorder and that the incidence of the disorder is increasing in the population. Although it is the most widely studied behavior disorder of childhood, its etiology remains unclear, its outcome is variable, and its treatment is complex and moderately successful. Advances in neuroscience have provided new insights into the pathophysiology of ADHD, pointing to key neural circuits involved in attention, behavioral control, learning, and reward maintenance that appear to be underperforming in patients with the disorder. Moreover, the etiology of this heterogeneous disorder points to the key role of genetic and environmental interactions during prenatal and perinatal periods. Over the past decade, new diagnostic and interventional approaches have enabled clinicians to better diagnose and treat ADHD across the lifespan, while longitudinal studies have elucidated the long-term impact of the disorder on health and adaptive functioning.

This course is intended for students with a background in psychology and/or neuroscience who are interested in learning more about the complexities of ADHD from both scientific and clinical perspectives. Scientific topics covered include prevalence and epidemiology, diagnostic criteria, clinical presentation at different ages, impact on development (intellect, academic, speech and language, emotional self control, motivation and executive functioning), health outcomes (risk taking, accidents, injuries, driving difficulties, unintended pregnancy), co-existing conditions (anxiety, mood, substance use disorders), and etiology (genetic, pre/perinatal, neurodevelopmental, neuroanatomic, neuropsychological). Clinical topics covered include approaches to assessment, medication treatments (stimulant and non-stimulant), and non-medical interventions.

Recommended Background
Prior experience in psychology and/or neuroscience is encouraged, but all are welcome!

They all look interesting. You can download the videos and study them later.

Dizfriz

Kasi
02-09-13, 04:23 AM
These courses look absolutely amazing and look like they'd be chock full of interesting information to learn. I'd definitely be interested except for the mainly audio format of getting the information and I have auditory processing problems to say the least.

I wanted to say thank you for providing so many resources to the forums. I don't tend to comment on your threads but I find them incredibly valuable and have found helpful information through your links. Figured I should finally tell you that.

Amtram
02-09-13, 12:37 PM
I'm probably going to sign up for the "Pay Attention!" class, because it looks like a relatively comprehensive overview, and the instructor's credentials look good. . .

ConcertaParent
02-17-13, 08:55 PM
Thanks, I've registered for the ADHD course. Like many Coursera registrants, I probably won't complete the course expectations to "conduct a critical article review, a case review, and a medication review in addition to completing quizzes and a final examination" :o but I hope I will learn something new about ADHD. Pay Attention!!" ADHD Through the Lifespan Mar 18th 2013 (12 weeks long) https://www.coursera.org/course/adhd
:
Recommended Background
Prior experience in psychology and/or neuroscience is encouraged, but all are welcome!

MellyFishButt
02-17-13, 08:57 PM
These courses look absolutely amazing and look like they'd be chock full of interesting information to learn. I'd definitely be interested except for the mainly audio format of getting the information and I have auditory processing problems to say the least.

I wanted to say thank you for providing so many resources to the forums. I don't tend to comment on your threads but I find them incredibly valuable and have found helpful information through your links. Figured I should finally tell you that.

Same here. I am an audio failure.

ConcertaParent
03-18-13, 07:50 AM
Does anybody know exactly what time the course will start today or when the video lecture will be available? I have signed in and agreed to the Honour Code. I have registered for another ADHD-related webinar today. Pay Attention!!" ADHD Through the Lifespan Mar 18th 2013 (12 weeks long) https://www.coursera.org/course/adhd

Dizfriz
03-18-13, 08:48 AM
Does anybody know exactly what time the course will start today or when the video lecture will be available? I have signed in and agreed to the Honour Code. I have registered for another ADHD-related webinar today.
If you go to corsera and log in, you will find your course. Click on "go to course" and there you will find the first lesson.

Dizfriz

Amtram
03-18-13, 12:19 PM
I thought I'd get reminders from Coursera! Dang! Well, I know what I'll be doing later today. . .

Dizfriz
03-18-13, 12:36 PM
I thought I'd get reminders from Coursera! Dang! Well, I know what I'll be doing later today. . .
If you get in late or miss some, no problem. All of the downloads will be listed on the course site, at least that is the way it is working on the course I am currently taking.

For those not familiar with this, there are several programs that will allow you to download and save internet videos.

I use one called Net Video Hunter for Firefox but there are a number of others out there.

Dizfriz

ConcertaParent
03-18-13, 03:28 PM
I completed the quizzes after two tries. Here are the reading links for next week:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/index.shtml
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html

See you at the next class! :)