View Full Version : Can't seem to sleep after 5.30 anymore ever

Gilthranon
02-09-13, 01:07 AM
Used to sleep through double alarms and miss everything, but since two weeks I'm just so overly excited to start at half past six and have breakfast I wake up earlier, even if I get to sleep at one in the morning. I'm a 10am guy and I like to have a couple of hours time before the sun get's up when I have to be ready to face the day but I can be xhausted when going to sleep yet still same thing happens. Weird :eyebrow: ... I'm wandering what this means and sleep deprivation has negative impact on the brain so I'm unsure whether my body is undergoing something, lack of slow sugars or that it is an eating disorder... Same story for weekends. Does this even make sense to anyone ? :)

purpleToes
02-09-13, 01:11 AM
Are you actually feeling poorly rested, or are you worrying pre-emptively about it?

dvdnvwls
02-09-13, 01:39 AM
Are you new on ADHD medication (a stimulant)? I am also noticing that for the first time in my life I have a "natural" :) tendency to get up in the morning, rather than dragging myself out of bed.

Only solution seems to be go to bed before 10.

Gilthranon
02-09-13, 04:41 AM
Are you actually feeling poorly rested, or are you worrying pre-emptively about it?
Both actually. I feel kinda tired cause as I can't get early to bed I get bout 5/6 hours every night, and this is very unusual to me anyway so, both.

Are you new on ADHD medication (a stimulant)? I am also noticing that for the first time in my life I have a "natural" :) tendency to get up in the morning, rather than dragging myself out of bed.

Only solution seems to be go to bed before 10.
No it's from the moment I decided to get up 5.30 instead of 6 and suddenly it felt all new and all I could think about was like a small adventure and eating. Early to bed, yeah while procrastination does the opposite ;)

Raye
02-09-13, 05:46 AM
Is it possible to try an OTC sleep med to help you go back to sleep for a few hrs?

I've always been an early riser. I went to sleep at 11:30 last night ( late for me usually) and it's right now 4:40 am in the states.

But my body is used to getting up early and sounds like it's causing you difficulties.

has there been alot on your mind lately? dumb question for an add'er I know, but maybe something special running through your head ( an event coming up, or a problem you are having?)

when I was younger I was a late sleeper, usually til around 8 or 9 though, but if i was experiencing an especially difficult trauma/stress, I'd often wake up on and off during the night and wake early.

sarahsweets
02-09-13, 07:43 AM
So are you saying that you would prefer to sleep later but cant? So this early wakening is new for you? Previously what was your regular sleep patterns?

Used to sleep through double alarms and miss everything, but since two weeks I'm just so overly excited to start at half past six and have breakfast I wake up earlier, even if I get to sleep at one in the morning. I'm a 10am guy and I like to have a couple of hours time before the sun get's up when I have to be ready to face the day but I can be xhausted when going to sleep yet still same thing happens. Weird :eyebrow: ... I'm wandering what this means and sleep deprivation has negative impact on the brain so I'm unsure whether my body is undergoing something, lack of slow sugars or that it is an eating disorder... Same story for weekends. Does this even make sense to anyone ? :)

purpleToes
02-09-13, 09:36 PM
CBT says anxiety about sleep can be a factor in insomnia, so the first thing is don't worry too much about it :) It's probably just temporary anyway. Meanwhile you might be able to get to bed a little earlier. I suggest 500mcg (0.5mg) melatonin about an hour before you'd like to go to bed. It doesn't take much, just enough to kick off your natural melatonin production a bit earlier than normal. Even a half hour earlier would be a significant amount of extra sleep.

Someone mentioned an OTC sleep med, and the problem with that is all the over-the-counter sleep meds I'm aware of tend to make you sleepy for a long time, not ideal if you need to be up in a couple of hours. There's a "new" sleep medicine called Intermezzo that's for taking in the middle of the night if you wake up and can't get back to sleep, but it's really just a low dose of Ambien (zolpidem) - 1.75mg for women, 3.5mg for men. If you can get a prescription for Ambien (zolpidem) 5mg, they are easy to split in half, probably close enough. Ambien is fairly short acting (not the CR/extended release version, of course). I have used it this way on occasion and I didn't have any trouble waking 3 hours later. (The down side for me though is I get tolerance or resistance to Ambien REALLY quickly, like in a few days, then I'm worse off than when I started.)

Is the light coming into your window in the morning in a different angle or anything like that? You might try room-darkening blinds or do like I do and hang a heavy towel up over the window.

sarahsweets
02-10-13, 07:32 AM
.....CBT says anxiety about sleep can be a factor in insomnia, so the first thing is don't worry too much about it :) It's probably just temporary anyway. Meanwhile you might be able to get to bed a little earlier. I suggest 500mcg (0.5mg) melatonin about an hour before you'd like to go to bed. It doesn't take much, just enough to kick off your natural melatonin production a bit earlier than normal. Even a half hour earlier would be a significant amount of extra sleep.

Someone mentioned an OTC sleep med, and the problem with that is all the over-the-counter sleep meds I'm aware of tend to make you sleepy for a long time, not ideal if you need to be up in a couple of hours. There's a "new" sleep medicine called Intermezzo that's for taking in the middle of the night if you wake up and can't get back to sleep,

I have sontata (zaleplone) for that exact reason. It has a 3-4 hour half life. its an emergency med for me.

TagEHeuer
02-10-13, 11:00 PM
I've always thought I couldn't sleep due to my ADHD, it seems that the real problem was, and still is, that I don't try. 4:00 here right now, and I haven't got off the laptop all night. Why you ask, my nightmares.

scorpion
02-11-13, 06:00 AM
I wish I could sleep being up for around 28 hours when I lay down my brain will not stfu as usual.

Gilthranon
02-12-13, 03:35 AM
So are you saying that you would prefer to sleep later but cant? So this early wakening is new for you? Previously what was your regular sleep patterns?
Yes I want to get up and eat again... this night happened again... I might have to consider seeing a doctor for this... it was about 23h until sleeping through alarms and getting up at 9-10h in holidays. I did used to wake up many times but that was just a poor sleep quality. Couple of week ago I decided one hour in the morning to get up, eat, dress and leave isn't enough for my morning habits hence put the alarm half an hour earlier. This unusual and made me focus on breakfast like it was something special. Ever since... well this happened.