View Full Version : Temazepam Questions

dogluver358
02-09-13, 10:02 AM
Couple of questions...I've been on Restoril (temazepam) for about 4 years, working up to the max dosage of 45mg, which I've been taking for about the last two or three years. I'm finding it not as effective anymore. It still helps and I do get some sleep, just wondering if there might be something else out there for me to try. ??

I've been on remeron, trazadone, vistaril, melatonin, lunesta, ambien, seroquel, xanax and klonopinjust about every sleeping medicine there is. I can no longer take any Z-drugs because I drove a car one night and had no memory of it.

1. I like Restoril, but I was wondering if there were any other similar medications that I wouldn't have developed a tolerance to yet?

2. I also had to stop taking it for a few days for testing I had to have done. I couldn't manage to skip all those days except one. Has my body become physically dependent on this? I read all those horror stories of benzo withdrawal, so does Restoril have withdrawal too? Or is it except from the benzo withdrawal situation because it's a hypnotic? The thought of my body being physically dependent (re: NOT addicted) kind of frightens me. Of course those websites weren't too reputable, they were mostly a bunch of benzo addicts on there, which I'm not.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Abi
02-09-13, 10:22 AM
1. I honestly can't think of any commonly prescribed sedative/hypnotic that is legally available in the US that you have not already listed.

You might try

* another antipsychotic, given that you've tried seroquel, though personally I'm not a big fan of that class of medications; or

* an antihistamine like Chlorphenamine, Diphenhydramine(Benadryl), or Doxylamine Succinate -- tho sadly there is a good chance that you will develop a tolerance to these things fairly quickly.

2. Almost all people experience withdrawal symptoms from all benzodiazepines. So you should wean yourself slowly off of the Restoril.

Laserbeak
08-04-13, 12:03 AM
I've been on Restoril for like 10 years and it still usually works for me. But you may want to look into combining it with Amitriptyline or Trazodone (but NOT BOTH) to help you sleep. I'll say the problem with these is you can often sleep for way too long, like 12 hours or so. If you have a stimulant like Adderall prescription and an alarm clock, those can help you get up on time.