View Full Version : May Switch, Strattera -> Wellbutrin, Good Plan? Need Opinion ASAP!

FogNoggin
02-10-13, 01:54 PM
I am going to see my Nurse Practitioner tomorrow as a follow up on my 28 days of Strattera.
I kind of like Strattera in some ways, but the sexual side effects are becoming just too much for me.
So because as an NP she cannot prescribe controlled substances, I will request trying Wellbutrin until I can try getting a prescription for stims possibly.
(is wellbutrin a controlled substance? I assume not)

I don't want to be unmedicated so I am looking to Wellbutrin as a stop-gap until something better comes along, that is unless Wellbutrin turns out just great.

Going to do some wellbutrin research, until then you can give me your thoughts and opinions of my plan.
I need an opinion before 1:00pm, February 11th, 2013 (tomorrow)
Thanks.

425runner
02-11-13, 12:22 AM
Wellbutrin is not a controlled substance. It's anti-depressant in the DNRI category, activating and I find it also helps with anxiety. I was on it for a year for depression/ADHD until my neurologist suggested Vyvanse. Now I take Wellbutrin XL 150 for depression and Dexedrine for ADHD.

starry
02-11-13, 02:13 AM
I was on Wellbutrin for a short while. It was OK. Didn't lift my depression at the time though. That's what I was taking it for. Can't remember which dose I was on. So long ago.

FogNoggin
02-11-13, 09:51 AM
Thanks, going to talk it over with the NP.
I don't see any problems giving this a go.

From what I read this drug actually helps and not hinders male sexual function.

Thanks for responding in good time.

FogNoggin
02-11-13, 04:40 PM
So, I am back, going to wean myself off with 40mgs of strattera for 1 week and ease into wellbutrin.

Doc wanted to add wellbutrin to the strattera, I said I would like to asses wellbutrin on it's own to asses it for two reasons.
Can't afford to buy another medication, and don't want to be taking more than one med if I can help it.
Lucked out though, got some free samples of wellbutrin that was supposed to be for someone else, but they never got them.

I took my wellbutrin about two hours ago and when I felt it come on it sort of felt like I got whacked with a board in the back of the head, not painful, but whacked on the back of the head kind of medi-fog.
What should I expect to feel after a few days?

DropZone
02-11-13, 04:55 PM
I felt nothing at 150mg of generic extended release. Absolutely nothing, good or bad. Increased to 300 and it's the same story. I hope my pdoc is done giving me non-stimulants this time, as they do nothing for me.

FogNoggin
02-11-13, 05:13 PM
If the wellbutrin doesn't meet my satisfaction, it will be stims next.
Somehow, it was a compromise, I wanted off the strattera, but she cannot prescribe me stims so wellbutrin I figured can be the stop gap to try until stims.

I felt 150mg of extended release wellbutrin kick in within 30 minutes, there was no mistaking it.

Retromancer
02-11-13, 05:31 PM
Presently taking 450 mgs Watson generic Wellbutrin (buproprion). Taking it primarily for depression. At best it's a 'carry on' type of drug. No dramatic results.

Dextroamphetamine it's not. Since I am out of work and on disability I am not taking stimulants at this time. I can live without the anxiety and inevitable come down.

purpleToes
02-11-13, 05:52 PM
The up side of trying Wellbutrin is that it has a low side effect profile, works quickly if it's going to work at all, and has minimal discontinuation effects, so it's easy to go off again.

The downside is that it doesn't help much with ADHD symptoms for most people. But you never know, you could be one of the lucky ones, and it's probably worth a try if you don't have good alternatives.

Regarding sexual side effects with Strattera, sometimes these go away after a while. Strattera has an action that is similar to SSRIs in some respects, so I think there can be some comparison. I'll share something of my experience of sexual side effects on a SSRI.

I initally had anorgasmia from Zoloft and felt no arousal from stimulation at all - I might as well have been rubbing my elbow as my hoo-ha. In a few months, arousal was possible again, but orgasm required a ridiculous amount of stimulation. Gradually, over a period of about a year, orgasms came more easily, but still required some persistence. The amazing thing was these orgasms were, by far, the most powerful, intense, and long-lasting I'd ever had. Like, really mind-blowing. After I discontinued Zoloft, I was immediately able to orgasm quickly, but the orgasms are shorter and weaker. I need to have like 5 of them to feel satisfied, and it's still not the same.

I really miss my Zoloft orgasms.

Retromancer
02-11-13, 09:16 PM
Clearly written by someone with two x chromosomes. ;)

I initally had anorgasmia from Zoloft and felt no arousal from stimulation at all - I might as well have been rubbing my elbow as my hoo-ha. In a few months, arousal was possible again, but orgasm required a ridiculous amount of stimulation. Gradually, over a period of about a year, orgasms came more easily, but still required some persistence. The amazing thing was these orgasms were, by far, the most powerful, intense, and long-lasting I'd ever had. Like, really mind-blowing. After I discontinued Zoloft, I was immediately able to orgasm quickly, but the orgasms are shorter and weaker. I need to have like 5 of them to feel satisfied, and it's still not the same.

I really miss my Zoloft orgasms.

purpleToes
02-12-13, 04:41 AM
Clearly written by someone with two x chromosomes. ;)

LOL. Correct.

FogNoggin
02-12-13, 07:59 PM
So far, I feel like I want to go take a nap yesterday and today, cup of coffee is helping.

It's making me clumsy.
Was making PB&T and I stupidly dropped the butter knife on the floor, then I bumped the open peanut butter jar into the sink, luckily the dishwater didn't get into my PB.
Amazingly my buttered toast stayed put!

Then I wanted to go out and dump a bag of cat manure into the compost bin, in the dark at the front door I fumbled for the door knob, somehow I couldn't find it.
Then I found it, opened the door and whacked myself on the head with the door I was opening. :umm1:
Sheesh!

Looking forward to it kicking in in weeks to come, I assume it gets gradually better, like the dose today was better than yesterdays dose, but I was tired yesterday anyway.

(please note, I am clumsy anyhow, up to a point.)

FogNoggin
02-19-13, 01:13 PM
Day 2 of no strattera and up to 300mg from 150mg of wellbutrin.

-Penis responding favourably, I had morning wood that actually hurt a bit (that's good)
-I feel the 'twitch'.
-I can FEEL my unit, no longer 'dead'
-Quick rising, faster than yeast, way faster!
-No more ejaculate leaking out before it's time.
-No uncomfortable feeling after I let go.

etc.

Will see in time how the wellbutrin is coming along.