View Full Version : Book Review - ADHD - A Path to Success - a revolutionary theory in drug free therapy

rozb
06-13-02, 08:59 AM
Book Review ‘ADHD – A Path to Success, a revolutionary theory and new innovation in drug free therapy' by Lawrence Weathers, Phd, published by Ponderosa Press, USA, 1998 available from Amazon.com price $16

ADHD – to medicate or not

My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was six years old. When he was diagnosed, it was a big shock but I set out to discover what this ADHD was all about. My search led me eventually to this book by Dr Lawrence Weathers, ADHD – A Path to Success, a revolutionary theory and new innovation in drug free therapy. Revolutionary – yes. Drug free! Was it possible? Yes!
If your child has ADHD and you are questioning the conventional treatment to medicate, read this book and explore the reasoning in it. It is an easy read and when I read it, it felt like a light had been switched on in my head. Suddenly, I could see how my son had slipped down the slippery spiral of defeat and failure. Yes, he was on medication for a while and it did help him focus at school, but was it worth it for all the side affects the medication caused? My conscience nagged me about drugging my child and this book gave me hope.
Having taken the plunge and risked travelling from England, half way round the world, I am pleased to say that the treatment does work if you let it. I now have a Grade 5 son in the advanced Maths group and the top Literacy group. He has several good mates, gets invited to their houses and has them to play in ours. Yes, he does still have bad days, (don’t we all), but nowadays the good days far outweigh the bad ones.
If you read this book, it could well change your life and that of your child. At $16 that must be the best buy out.

Snowflake
07-17-02, 01:24 AM
What does he promote? Diet change? Supplements? Just a side note,I would have given anything to be diagnosed at your son's age and not have to wonder what could have been...I don't dwell in the past, but your question reminded me of it. I have completed college and working in my profession, but it has been a tough road.

Medication has changed my life in the most positive way. I would be open to alternatives if they were as effective. Without some type of intervention...not just behavior modicfication...I have to work twice as hard as my co-worker just to achieve the same thing. ( I hope I didn't write too much and in the wrong forum)

rozb
07-18-02, 09:14 AM
For snowflake

You need to read the book to understand the therapy. Basicall it uses light, sound and computers to extinguish emotional reactions to bad things that have happened to you.

My son just had such bad side effects from medication that he did not want to take it any more. If I had a choice I would have kept up medication, but he wanted to be 'normal'. This treatment has helped him. He still has adhd, but it is much milder and can be dealt with without medication now...so....lets up this keep on this way.

Roz

jhisa
04-16-05, 12:01 PM
Is there anything in the book about how to use the techniques in the book if you can't make it to the office for this Dr's therapy? Are there any chapters regarding how a home based therapy could or would work. Does it also mention if anyone else is practicing this.
Sara:D

scuro
04-16-05, 12:13 PM
For snowflake

You need to read the book to understand the therapy. Basicall it uses light, sound and computers to extinguish emotional reactions to bad things that have happened to you.

Roz

ADHD is not a conditioned response nor is it learned.

If you were selling mouse droppings I'd be more interested. :p :p

Tara
04-18-05, 04:38 PM
I haven't read this specific book but I do have quite a few books about ADD which focus on natural methods to treating/managing ADD. The book the LCP solution is one of the better books about natural methods that I have read. It's also reccomended by Dr Edward Hallowell.