View Full Version : Holy Crap!! Is this how normal people feel??

Fuzzy12
02-14-13, 05:29 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Where are my mood swings??? I'm neither hypomanic, nor super depressed. I'd say, I'm slightly depressed - moderately normal. Inspite of the slight depression since I've started taking lamotrigine, I've been relatively stable. I know, it's still very, very early days (day 3) and I'm on a tiny dose (12.5mg) so I didn't expect it to make any difference. So I wonder if this is more of a placebo effect.

Still, no mood swings for 3 days?? 3 normal days without any source of stimulation to keep my mood up but I'm ok. :eek:

This is pleasant. :D

LaMbaL
02-14-13, 06:13 AM
Nice, Im glad you found something that works. Lets hope it sticks!

starry
02-14-13, 06:24 AM
Yayy!! So happy for you Fuzzy! :)

Are you currently taking any other medications aside from the new one?

Fuzzy12
02-14-13, 07:41 AM
Yayy!! So happy for you Fuzzy! :)

Are you currently taking any other medications aside from the new one?

Yes, I'm still taking my anti depressant duloxetine (cymbalta).

Raye
02-14-13, 07:46 AM
Hope it works out my dear ;)

sarahsweets
02-14-13, 08:37 AM
For me, cymbalta and lamictal have been life savers.

Yes, I'm still taking my anti depressant duloxetine (cymbalta).

starry
02-14-13, 08:44 AM
Sounds like a great combo for the bipolar minds :)

FogNoggin
02-14-13, 09:18 AM
What medication did you get?

MellyFishButt
02-14-13, 09:22 AM
*high five*

Fuzzy12
02-14-13, 10:34 AM
What medication did you get?

Lamotrigine and duloxetine (which I've been taking for almost 6 months now)

silivrentoliel
02-14-13, 11:14 AM
that is AWESOME, Fuzzy! :D I'm so happy for you that it seems you've found something that's working :D

I'd throw you a mini-party, but I'm currently too hungry :lol:

SquarePeg
02-14-13, 12:15 PM
:yes::yes::yes: hoope it continues

Rebelyell
02-14-13, 12:47 PM
When you say lifesavers do you mean as in daily day to day functioning or as your marriage goes? Im glad to hear ya found something tht works fuzzy

Fuzzy12
02-14-13, 12:57 PM
:yes::yes::yes: hoope it continues

No, didn't last. Now, I'm freaking out if I've got borderline personality disorder. :lol: I just read the wikipedia description and it's scarily accurate. :faint:

I'm going crazy.

I think, I need to leave and go home right now. If I don't, I run the risk of requesting my "semi-not really friend yet" friend to meet up so I can cry on his shoulder and freak him out so much that I'll never see him again.

ezridax
02-14-13, 01:09 PM
Time to stop analyzing and start living :grouphug:

lalapin
02-14-13, 01:15 PM
That's AWESOME!!!

keliza
02-14-13, 01:44 PM
It's still really early in the treatment, don't freak out yet. It took 2-3 weeks before I began to see an upswing, a little over a month before I felt consistent improvement in my mood. I didn't have daily ups and downs though, my moods are very long, sweeping arcs of up or down, not spikes. Still keeping my fingers crossed that Lamictal will give you a more consistent, stable mood with time!

FogNoggin
02-14-13, 01:52 PM
Lamotrigine and duloxetine (which I've been taking for almost 6 months now)
Never heard of them.
Are they stims, antidepressants, or both?

Fuzzy12
02-14-13, 02:30 PM
sorry i guys i can't even be consistent over one thread :lol: I'm feeling better again. I aand home and let myself be comforted by the red hot chilli peppers rather than my 'semi - could possibly be a friend if i don't scare him away' friend. But that was a bad crash even by my standards.

dasikins
02-14-13, 03:13 PM
Yeah!

Zaashy
02-18-13, 02:37 AM
I know the feeling fuzzy, it's like sitting on a bench alone on a beach and experiencing your first sunrise.

GeordieDave
02-18-13, 07:34 AM
Woo! This is great! hope it lasts!

Fuzzy12
02-18-13, 10:33 AM
Never heard of them.
Are they stims, antidepressants, or both?

Duloxetine is an SNRI anti depressant and lamotrigine is an anti epilectic that's also indicated for bipolar disorder.

Woo! This is great! hope it lasts!

Phew, so far so good. Except that one afternoon last week, my mood has been relatively stable. And no serious side effects except that my nose is constantly running :rolleyes:.

Tomorrow, I'm increasing the dose to 25mg. I'm almost looking forward to it. :D

keliza
02-18-13, 12:35 PM
The runny nose is pretty common. Maybe Benadryl will help, if it doesn't knock you out?

I'm glad to hear things are going well so far, really hope they continue that way!

Rebelyell
02-18-13, 03:43 PM
Im sick an tired hearing about how normal people feel,how about they put themselves in our shoes for 1 freaking day?

aylaah
02-19-13, 12:51 AM
What's the 'brand name' of what you're on? I'm new to these meds, hubby is on zyprexa off-label (almost 2 weeks now, bipolar II) at 5mg, but its seriously affected by smoking and caffeine, he does both :\

As for the BPD don't read yourself into the ground - bpd and bipolar can look quite similar (hubs thought he had bpd too, as did a few other people, assessment was bipolar 2 with traits of a few PDs).

Fuzzy12
02-19-13, 07:42 AM
What's the 'brand name' of what you're on? I'm new to these meds, hubby is on zyprexa off-label (almost 2 weeks now, bipolar II) at 5mg, but its seriously affected by smoking and caffeine, he does both :\

As for the BPD don't read yourself into the ground - bpd and bipolar can look quite similar (hubs thought he had bpd too, as did a few other people, assessment was bipolar 2 with traits of a few PDs).

One of the brand names of lamotrigine is Lamictal. It's an anti epilectic but indicated for bipolar disorder too. From the reviews I've read, it seems a bit like a wonder drug. For those who didn't develop serious side effects, it seems to have really, really worked well.

I worry about BPD. There are lots of symptoms I can relate too. I know that there are overlaps between BPD and BD, but I think with BPD there are usually triggers (even if tiny or insignificant) that can cause mood swings (as in over reactions) whereas with BD, there aren't necessarily any triggers. Also, I do the whole black and white thinking to extreme.

I feel, have always felt, very empty and purposeless. I always thought it was philosophical problem rather than a clinical one but when I'm hypomanic, it troubles me less.

I never thought I had BPD because I always thought I don't get very attached to people. I need a lot of space and privacy, I rarely miss anyone and generally I'm not too bothered. But that's just in general. There are some people that I get absolutely addicted to. When I like someone I want to meet/see them all the time and I feel huge, disproportionate disappointment when I feel that this person is either ignoring me or I just don't get enough opportunities to meet them. Usually, these were guys that I was infatuated with and I thought it's just a form of stimulation for me. Now, I'm not so sure. I generally have strong preferences about whose company I can bear and not.

aylaah
02-19-13, 08:46 PM
Do you think maybe its at more of a traits level? Just wondering, missing some of the key parts of BPD, or having to alter the generic description to make it fit to you, or adapt it slightly, could be an indicator of trait level impact rather than full blown disorder?

In saying that though, they do often get BD and BPD diagnoses confused, so what you think is one may indeed be the other - or it could be both.

When you say you rarely miss anyone and you're not too bothered - could that be devaluing them? Just a thought, my hubby could be incredibly detached but it was something he was doing via devaluation - they aren't worth my time, so I don't care to have any of my time given to them, or something along that line.

I'm working mostly from within my own experience with him, I feel his diagnosis is pretty spot on and does allow for the BPD signs as well as the BD ones.