View Full Version : Headaches and ADHD (Cluster? Migraine?)

MellyFishButt
02-14-13, 08:42 PM
So I am having what I used to call a MSG headache. Intense headache, slowed speech, nausea. I have been getting these for a few years now and assumed they weren't migraines because I wasn't photosensitive. Fast forward to this afternoon and I decide to go home because I simply cannot concentrate and the nausea is creeping back from this morning.

I come home and use the restroom in the dark because the idea of exerting enough energy to turn the light on sounds laughable. And then it happens. I realize that the bathroom, pitch black, is covered in strobe light. I never had to go to a dark place of misery (literal and figurative), so I never noticed the strobe effect. I walked into the kitchen and realized that every little sound made my ears throb. Right now, it sounds like there is a Harley idling down the street but its just my ears. So weird.

I called my mom, whom I witnessed dark-bedroom-ridden in my youth, and she said that a migraine is highly likely but she also thought it might be a cluster headache.

Those of you who suffer from either - what do I have? Further, is there a connection between headaches and ADHD that you're aware of?

(And if you're wondering how I can handle typing right now...I'm actually MORE comfortable with this bright distracting iPhone than sitting and actually feeling everything or seeing the strobe again. Ick. Plus I think I am starting to feel a bit better outside of the nausea.)

Makennan
02-14-13, 09:25 PM
I've had migraines since I was in high school, so for about 20 years. Mine are always on the right side behind my eye. It feels like someone in sticking something into my eyeball from inside my head and simultaneously hammering from the outside. I have nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. Usually any light or sound would seem magnified and also make the nausea worse. Sometimes I throw up but not often. The only thing that works for me is to lie totally still in complete darkness with a pillow over my head and sleep it off. Any kind of movement would make me puke too. After I had kids they lessened in frequency and severity so I guess it has something to do with hormonal changes.

When I have a severe one, I can't function. I wouldn't be able to concentrate enough to type anything or even stand the light from an iphone. Yours does sound like a migraine to me; they affect people in different ways.

I've seen a few things here and there about the possibility of ADHD and migraines being connected but I don't think there has been enough research done to be able to draw any conclusions.

MellyFishButt
02-14-13, 09:56 PM
I feel a lot better. The worst of it was at work and the drive home (I actually begged my husband to rip my brain out of my head, lol). I did some research into the predomes phase or whatever and last night I had a bit of vertigo and all this morning my ears kept ringing. I will have to be on the lookout for that.

The only thing that made me feel better was to sit upright completely still. Not sure why I couldn't lay down but I think it was more mental: if I lay down I will only think about the pain. Hence the phone. I dunno. So sorry you get them too. Have you tried imitrex? My mom swears by it. I also read that a chiropractor has been shown to be a better long term solution than drugs but I worry they will screw me up worse...

Makennan
02-14-13, 10:44 PM
(I actually begged my husband to rip my brain out of my head, lol).

LOL, I asked my husband to shoot me once. There were so many times that I prayed for death just to end the pain!

I tried a few different meds a long time ago and none worked. I'm pretty sure Imitrex was one of them. The only thing was to sleep it off. I heard that sex is supposed to help, or more accurately, an orgasm. I can't vouch for that one b/c who the h*ll could think about sex when you have an evil little gremlin kicking the sh&t out of your eyeball and stomping on your brain? Not to mention the puking with the slightest motion.

Anyway since having kids, I very rarely get a severe one.

Glad you're feeling better!

flycatcher
02-14-13, 11:26 PM
Sounds like migraine to me as well. But I don't know how cluster headache is like.

Mine are always on the right side behind my eye. It feels like someone in sticking something into my eyeball from inside my head and simultaneously hammering from the outside. I have nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. Usually any light or sound would seem magnified and also make the nausea worse. Sometimes I throw up but not often. The only thing that works for me is to lie totally still in complete darkness with a pillow over my head and sleep it off. Any kind of movement would make me puke too. ...

When I have a severe one, I can't function. I wouldn't be able to concentrate enough to type anything or even stand the light from an iphone.

Mine is like yours + quite rarely weakness on one side of the body, before the headache part.

I swear by good old ibuprofen.

dvdnvwls
02-14-13, 11:27 PM
I can't vouch for that one b/c who the h*ll could think about sex when...
Bah. Women. Sex and thinking don't always have to go together, you know! :D

mrsleepy
02-22-13, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry about your situation. I really hope you don't have cluster headaches because they are absolutely terrible. There are accounts of people committing suicide because its so bad. There is no cure and the only real treatment is just breathing from an oxygen tank.

However, recently its suggested is a treatment and a possible cure but high controversial. Its taking LSD. Because of the fact that its illegal and the stigma that goes along with it. Interesting enough its relativity very safe and when it was first discovered, scientist actually used it to work on problems. For a while it was used as a medicine. Not entirely sure why it was made illegal but I suspect it was because of extremely conservative lawmakers. But this is a story for anther time.

If anyone does have it, read this http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/06/lsd-alleviates-suicide-headaches.html

Hopefully you can get accepted into their experimental trials so you can take it legally.

Chemist82
02-25-13, 10:49 PM
I have very strange headaches. They're not migraines--I can work through them usually--and they're not cluster headaches because they're on both sides of my brain. The stabbing behind the eye thing sounds very familiar. I find ibuprofen works if taken early when the symptoms first start. I took Tylenol 3's once (had a few kicking around). Bad idea. My body went numb and all I could feel was the pain!

Years back I used to get killer headaches every Saturday morning. I would sleep very little during the week, starting homework late at night and working until the wee hours, and then I would crash Friday night. Like you, the only thing that seemed to help was staring at a computer screen for a few hours.

VOltaire
03-03-13, 10:35 AM
I'm sorry about your situation. I really hope you don't have cluster headaches because they are absolutely terrible. There are accounts of people committing suicide because its so bad. There is no cure and the only real treatment is just breathing from an oxygen tank.

However, recently its suggested is a treatment and a possible cure but high controversial. Its taking LSD. Because of the fact that its illegal and the stigma that goes along with it. Interesting enough its relativity very safe and when it was first discovered, scientist actually used it to work on problems. For a while it was used as a medicine. Not entirely sure why it was made illegal but I suspect it was because of extremely conservative lawmakers. But this is a story for anther time.

If anyone does have it, read this http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/06/lsd-alleviates-suicide-headaches.html

Hopefully you can get accepted into their experimental trials so you can take it legally.

Psilocybin has arguementally be touted as the best treatment for the pain associated with cluster headaches however it has not been FDA approved and is still illegal in the eyes of the law.

Lunacie
03-03-13, 11:33 AM
Migraines always make me (more) light and sound and smell sensitive,
but I don't get visual auras very often. When I do, it's blurred vision or
the Alice in Wonderland effect.

Sometimes auras are associated with smell. Both my daughter and I will
smell something that isn't really there, for her it's usually a moldy smell,
for me it's usually a food smell, something I haven't eaten in months.

Before I made that connection, I would prowl the kitchen, thinking I was
hungry for something, but couldn't figure out what I wanted.

Mine are very rarely one-sided behind-the-eyeball migraines. They often
feel like an iron band around my head, a strange prickling senstion all over
my head, or pressure in my sinuses. Turns out these headaches are more
common among migraine sufferers than the better known Classic Migraine.

I learned a lot by reading two very good books about migraine headaches.
The Keeler Migraine Method - by Robert Cowan
A Brain Wider Than The Sky - by Andrew Levy

MellyFishButt
03-12-13, 08:25 PM
Guess who has another one? This girl! And look! It's two days before my period again. I think we have a new pattern, folks. And I had two days of ear ringing and mild headaches leading up to this one. That said, I also went into acute vicoprofen withdrawal today by accident. My new pain doc switched me over to the Butrans patch for my discs, and neither of us realized that there was a three day build up window where I should continue taking my normal med.

Yes, he should have known, but most of his clients probably aren't switched on their first day and also probably have their own stash left. I did not, and we didn't think it would be a problem since my usage was so low. Don't be fooled kittens! Anything you take for two months straight should not be stopped cold turkey. So who knows what triggered it. From all angles it looks like it was going to happen either way.

Today has been hell.

MellyFishButt
03-12-13, 08:31 PM
Migraines always make me (more) light and sound and smell sensitive,
but I don't get visual auras very often. When I do, it's blurred vision or
the Alice in Wonderland effect.

Sometimes auras are associated with smell. Both my daughter and I will
smell something that isn't really there, for her it's usually a moldy smell,
for me it's usually a food smell, something I haven't eaten in months.

Before I made that connection, I would prowl the kitchen, thinking I was
hungry for something, but couldn't figure out what I wanted.

Mine are very rarely one-sided behind-the-eyeball migraines. They often
feel like an iron band around my head, a strange prickling senstion all over
my head, or pressure in my sinuses. Turns out these headaches are more
common among migraine sufferers than the better known Classic Migraine.

I learned a lot by reading two very good books about migraine headaches.
The Keeler Migraine Method - by Robert Cowan
A Brain Wider Than The Sky - by Andrew Levy

Now that you mention it I was also complaining earlier that my husband smelled like he had been drinking all night. You know, that alcohol sweat smell? Blech. He said it was his leather jacket, but then when we got home I realized the house smelled like this for some reason. We haven't drank in ages! So strange. I did have my first light sensitivity though. I'm currently holed up in my dark bedroom and bundled up on layers and my freshly lion cut-groomed kitty. And yes, he looks adorable.

Also, I picked up some 'Ache-less Rub' massage oil from my local herbalist and stuck it under my nose and it has helped tremendously. It has peppermint, bergamot, lemongrass, nutmeg, and wintergreen. It allegedly 'promotes a healthy inflammation response and relaxes muscles'. That and a cool cloth have been my savior.

DistractedGoat
03-12-13, 08:44 PM
I found beta blockers helped my migraines a bit (thought luckily I haven't had one in a long time..)

MellyFishButt
03-12-13, 08:45 PM
Can I take that at any time or would I need to be on a continual dose? And thanks for the idea. :)

DistractedGoat
03-12-13, 08:54 PM
I'd take it at the first sign that one might be coming on, but I think in general beta blockers are meant to be taken regularly for preventing migraines..

When I would use atenolol, the headache would get bad at first, but then start to go away after 30-40 minutes. Of course, I also took copious amounts of ibuprofen, naproxen, and anything else I could get my hands on - liver be damned - (just as I normally always do). But, once I started using atenolol, my migraine would actually go away relatively quickly. A huge improvement! I hope you find something that works for you.. Migraines are awful!

AnythingBacon
03-12-13, 09:57 PM
You most likely are suffering from migraines... As an unfortunate soul that has cluster headaches I can say that with certainty. I had a head injury at 17 and they started about two years later. It's not light or sound that really get to you, but smell, and touch are terrible. They tend to happen behind the eye, but towards the back of the head.

When I get one, about 2x a year average, and I'm lucky they aren't more frequent. But when I get one, heat, rough surfaces, my hair, anything really changing or moving near your head or neck is like a thousand tiny knives. You don't move because everything hurts, and that includes trips to the restroom, if you gotta go you gotta go. They usually only last a few hours, but it feels like a lifetime.

You don't feel them come on, they just happen. You don't talk because it hurts too much. You don't even want to blink. You can only try to be positive and know it will end soon, you won't think it will, but it will. Then you take a shower and do some laundry... Usually after a well deserved nap.

Lunacie
03-13-13, 10:12 AM
Now that you mention it I was also complaining earlier that my husband smelled like he had been drinking all night. You know, that alcohol sweat smell? Blech. He said it was his leather jacket, but then when we got home I realized the house smelled like this for some reason. We haven't drank in ages! So strange. I did have my first light sensitivity though. I'm currently holed up in my dark bedroom and bundled up on layers and my freshly lion cut-groomed kitty. And yes, he looks adorable.

Also, I picked up some 'Ache-less Rub' massage oil from my local herbalist and stuck it under my nose and it has helped tremendously. It has peppermint, bergamot, lemongrass, nutmeg, and wintergreen. It allegedly 'promotes a healthy inflammation response and relaxes muscles'. That and a cool cloth have been my savior.

It's awesome that you've found something that helps. I'm soooo allergic or sensitive to peppermint that it makes me nauseated, which is something I don't often get with my migraines. I've found coffee helps to clear my sinuses when I encounter a smell that I can't handle. I don't drink coffee, so just smell the instant stuff when needed.

The unusual migraine I had throbbing on my right temple the last two days has now decided to include my sinuses, so I'm trying the coffee to see if it helps with this too.

MellyFishButt
03-13-13, 10:16 AM
It's awesome that you've found something that helps. I'm soooo allergic or sensitive to peppermint that it makes me nauseated, which is something I don't often get with my migraines. I've found coffee helps to clear my sinuses when I encounter a smell that I can't handle. I don't drink coffee, so just smell the instant stuff when needed.

The unusual migraine I had throbbing on my right temple the last two days has now decided to include my sinuses, so I'm trying the coffee to see if it helps with this too.

Ugh, you poor thing. Will a cool cloth on the face/forehead work?

Lunacie
03-13-13, 10:29 AM
Ugh, you poor thing. Will a cool cloth on the face/forehead work?

Or on the back of the neck for some, but cool cloths don't help me.

I've known some who use a hot cloth, but that doesn't help much either.

Sometimes a hot shower helps but it's temporary.

If I can catch it early, Excedrin (store brand) helps, but not always.

Mostly I just wait for the weather pattern and barometric pressure to change.

neetah
03-23-14, 06:09 AM
I have been getting migraines with aura for the last 10 years since i was 20.
I only get them once every few months but they are so intense that I can only writhe around in a dark room. My husband gives me all over body massages when I have a migraine and this helps to give me some positive sensations which distract from the pain. There are a few pressure points at the base of the skull on the back of the neck and in between eyebrows which i found to relieve the headache temporarily for as long as i can push them. Imigrin worked once for me by dulling the pain, but the last few times it hasnt worked much for some reason even though I took it as soon as my aura appeared.
Other migraine pills with ergotamine, caffeine and analgesics dont work for me. Having an orgasm didnt work. Ice and heat didnt work. Tying a belt around my head and tightening it seems to give some relief.... The only thing that has completely and effectively aborted one of my migraines is Psilocyben. I took about half of what you would take to get high and hallucinate. I was left with slight vertigo and a residual aura that lasted about 2 hours. So in any case I wouldnt have been able to function like that if i had to work or study but just having avoided the pain is enough to have me convinced that this is an effective treatment. I hope that they will continue doing studies on this.
It is recommended to keep a migraine diary to see if your migraine is related to food allergies, weather or hormonal changes.

MrsNewton
12-07-14, 02:32 AM
Just wanted to chime in, although way later.

If you had cluster headaches, you wouldn't possibly be able to look at a computer screen or even dial a phone. They are that debilitating, and really they're very rare.

Hyperman87
03-22-15, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I think they're(ADHD & Migraine) are connected(they are both Neurological disorder/diseases!) I've had em" since childhood(originally attributed them to Ritalin.) Now though, I think it's a combination of genes & stress. Usually, Migraines have always come on for me, either with weather changes or extreme stress(usually it's always the latter!)

Went through some crap as a kid(related to my peers) & everyday after school. I'd usually come home with a very bad Migraine headache(I really believe now as an adult,it was this & not so much the Ritalin.That was a major trigger in my childhood Migraine attacks.)

Flash forward about 20 years, & now the stress & strain of living with Early onset Parkinson's disease, ADHD, & Neuropathy, plus personal issues & here we go again frequent Migraine headaches with auras!)

Hyperman87
04-13-15, 08:04 PM
I have ADHD & chronic Migraine! :o:)